Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

3 minutes ago, LanaBalkana said:

Dear Metacritic staff,

I hope this email finds you well. 

I would like to start by saying that I value the work the you do for promoting the cultural and art sectors. I believe that Metacritic has become such a trusted source precisely as a result of your long-standing integrity, commitment to upholding objective criticism and professionalism. 

On that note I would like to bring to your attention a review on Lana Del Rey’s latest release “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd”. The review in question is by Sputnik Music [insert link], which have presented a completely biased view of the album and have given a score of 2.5/10. This score is over three times lower than the average score of the album so far which comprises over 20 (!) reviews by various publications. This indicates that there is clear misalignment between Sputnik Music and their peers which can only be explained by subjectiveness. There is a clear trend by Sputnik Music bringing down album scores without any credible merit. One could even see negative bias against certain female artists, which if true, hides a much more serious issue with Sputnik Music’s work and potential misogyny and sexism veiled by false pretences for objectivity and informed artistic criticism. 

I believe that Metacritic should review the participation of Sputnik Music in its aggregate  scores and consider removing them from  not only Lana Del Rey’s page, but all artists. I believe in Metacritic’s integrity and do not consider Sputnik Music’s values to be aligned with yours. 

I am looking forward to your reply. 

Yours faithfully,

XXX

it's actually 2.5 on the scale of 5 tho, therefore, it's 50/100 on Metacritic.

Chemtrails was rated 1.5/5, therefore it's 30/100.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

4 minutes ago, Morningcrow said:

bro did Billboard just out a woman as engaged before she could even announce it herself? If this is real it's gross... I'd be so sad if someone took that announcement away from me before I was ready 

𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚒𝚐 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎, 𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚢𝚕𝚟𝚒𝚊 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚑

1 minute ago, SalvaWHORE said:

it's actually 2.5 on the scale of 5 tho, therefore, it's 50/100 on Metacritic.

Chemtrails was rated 1.5/5, therefore it's 30/100.

ah okay, not that bad then but I’ll amend the message

They're literally just adding fuel to the fire by their comments. This is what I'm sending -- feel free to use it. I feel like shorter = better, usually.

"Hi there,

Reaching out because I have concerns regarding the merit of Sputnik Music when it comes to Lana Del Rey.

The same Staff reviewer has repeatedly volunteered to review Lana's albums even though he clearly does not like her, and has a pattern of reviewing her albums a week after release, giving them low scores (30, 50) to seemingly lower her Metacritic score.

One of the first replies to his review was another Contributor to the site, stating 'Brace yourselves, Twitter is coming'. Additionally, in the replies to the review, they mocked a fan on Twitter who shared a User Review (80), stating "Wait 'til they find out [User's] review doesn't count, but [Staff's] does."  This frames their review as a joke, or a ploy for attention/engagement more than anything.

There seems to be obvious bias at play here, and it only felt right to point it out. Thanks for taking the time to read this and considering our concerns.

Link 1 (50): https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/86624/Lana-Del-Rey-Did-You-Know-That-There’s-a-Tunnel-Under.../ + comments

Link 2 (30): https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/83019/Lana-Del-Rey-Chemtrails-Over-The-Country-Club/

6 minutes ago, how the light shines in said:

bro did Billboard just out a woman as engaged before she could even announce it herself? If this is real it's gross... I'd be so sad if someone took that announcement away from me before I was ready 

Are engagements that serious :toofunny:

qfrWuBl.png

6 minutes ago, #FreeCandyNecklace said:

Don't feed the trolls - eternal life advice. They clearly want to rile up the Lana fans and they shouldn't be given the satisfaction :illumilana2:

nah, they just want to bring her score down :bebe:

Yeah, we should just email & maybe let big twitter Lana stans accounts spread this wider so there can be a lot more emails 

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

8 minutes ago, how the light shines in said:

She has a good relationship with Billboard, it could be pre-agreed and her way of “announcing it”. I don’t think she will do an official announcement herself given that she doesn’t do this even for he music. 

1 hour ago, Venice said:

Did you know that it’s a giant critical faux pas to introduce records by a feature as banal as the material fact of their runtime?

Did you know that this latest Lana del Rey record does contain some measure of robust and moving songwriting about topics other than sex, death and California?

Did you know that Antonoff is not only back behind the desk for this one, but now also on mic duties?

Did you know that the remaining features are frittered between such indulgent misfires as “Peppers” and the already infamous “Judah Smith Interlude”, or else wasted on songs as hopelessly banal as “Candy Necklace” and “Let The Light In”?

Did you know that the audacity of this song ripples like an earthquake through the rest of the record? 

Well, did you know that Lana?

Lmaooo this "review" is like some sort of parody, help :bebe:

Sounds a bit tapped.. in my opinion :bebe:

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

Just send 3 emails from my 3 different accounts to Metacritic sksksksk

C'mon gurlies we can do this:fabcat:

And please i hope Ben & Ed see this stinky ass review & do something before its too late :bebe:

I mean their job is to create good press for Lana anyway.

4 minutes ago, The Rhino Designer said:

On second thought, maybe we all should have worded them individually. :thumb3:

I sent mine and labeled it 'Inquiry' so at least they'll open it. :thumb3:

Watch metacritic reporting LB for spam and harassment :lmao:

I know a lot of people talk about her wordiness and how her lyricism has gotten too complicated, but I really appreciate those ramblings that let us get to know her more. I actually have an issue with how simple and repetitive she can get, especially on songs like Candy Necklace, Let the Light in or Margaret– which I all still really enjoy. I think she resorts to coming up with a hook and then repeating it 3 or more times too often. To this day, I still think Mariners Apartment Complex is her best mixture of wordiness and simplicity, with just enough lyrical depth to be interesting and enough use of rhythm to feel like the song isnʻt falling asleep.

Don't copy and paste, and don't harass metacritic. Remember that it's probably just one guy reading all the emails they get, and if he starts seeing the same email pop up all the time, he's just going to delete them and ignore them. Better to write a short message explaining the same thing in your own words.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png