Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

5 minutes ago, Sweet said:

I am just so tired of Ultraviolence stans. Like I get it. I remember when I was 15 and just being sad and depressed af feeling like a bad bitch listening to UV but get over it!??

Ocean Blvd and any of her upcoming projects don’t have to be something she’s done already. It just bugs me when I see comparisons to UV or remakes in UV style because people just fetch to happen so bad? 

I’m getting mad with people saying “looook it’s a UV reference” girrrl she just sang the word “heaven” like “baby” 283746282 times it’s not that deep. 

Ocean Blv is a magnum album that’s for sure

6 hours ago, reflecting said:

alright guys i need to hear ur opinions on this - this person i know made a whole ass powerpoint presentation on why they think ppl should not listen to tunnel and it was very bad and cringe but essentially they said: lana romanticizes abusive relationships, looks down on other women and is a bad feminist. and what got me: she doesnt provide any productive „solutions“ on feminist questions. and that was it. like i cant with this interpretation of her art its not a fucking instruction on how to be a feminist or navigate the hardships of being a woman and its also nothing we‘ve never heard like its getting BORING!!

so im intersted in what yall have to say about this „perspective“ and how you would respond to that. 

It’s a shallow and unintelligent response to Lana’s art. It’s very “Jezebel blog post in 2012.” 

A lot of women (and men) have had the experiences Lana has, questioning their self worth, dating people who don’t treat them well, experiencing domestic violence, experiencing problems with drugs and alcohol. Why don’t they get to listen to music that reflects that experience back without judgment? Who are these dumbasses to think that they get to dictate the kind of shit other people want to sing about? Why do so many people seem to need an artist to release their music with disclaimers and caveats so that these losers don’t get apoplectic when they hear about something they might not like?

~*Contemplating at Costco the Santa Clarita fires.*~

6 hours ago, reflecting said:

alright guys i need to hear ur opinions on this - this person i know made a whole ass powerpoint presentation on why they think ppl should not listen to tunnel and it was very bad and cringe but essentially they said: lana romanticizes abusive relationships, looks down on other women and is a bad feminist. and what got me: she doesnt provide any productive „solutions“ on feminist questions. and that was it. like i cant with this interpretation of her art its not a fucking instruction on how to be a feminist or navigate the hardships of being a woman and its also nothing we‘ve never heard like its getting BORING!!

so im intersted in what yall have to say about this „perspective“ and how you would respond to that. 

I personally wouldn't respond at all. People like this are either trolls looking for a reaction, or incapable of critical thinking, and I have no interest in engaging with either :oprah3: At most, send them a Sure Jan gif and move on 

So much for ''Jack isn't challenging and pushing Lana in the studio :('' narrative. 

The concept of “American whore” is one that Del Rey had been tossing around for some time, and together, they turned it into a “sinister” folk song. Then, in the spirit of one-upping each other, Antonoff suggested that they finally find a home for a twisted, trap-beat freak-out, called “Jimmy,” that they had created a while back. He sewed the two parts together with some modular synths and synthetic drums, to his engineer Laura Sisk’s absolute delight: “I remember Laura clenched her fists and was really excited about it and said ‘Jimmy’s gonna live.’”

Lana Del Rey’s Collaborators Jack Antonoff, More Discuss ‘Ocean Blvd’ – Rolling Stone

2 hours ago, LifeOnMars said:

He took some time to drag Rob though. Lana review is probably coming today  

:hide:

he's the wrong person to make a review about Rob's music (I would say he has no idea about New Classics), but at least he helps him get some fame

2 hours ago, paradise27390 said:

May I just say how damned hard it is to rank these songs! :crying5:

Each one of the following has been my favourite from the album in this first week of listening at some point:

Paris, Texas (instant)

Margaret (instant)

Fishtail (instant)

Sweet (instant)

Kintsugi (instant)

The Grants (instant)

Fingertips (major grower. It clicked today :crying4:)

And the rest are all solid 8s and above barring Juda Smith.

Even Peppers has grown on me. I still think it doesn't fit the overall themes of this album but it's still a bop!

The album is a stunner to play through from start to finish. She really poured everything and more into this. Like the art of Kintsugi ! Creating a whole from something fractured and broken.

The reflections of life, love, family and the inevitably and tragedy of death.

The mountains, the sea, the sweet north country. 

I just can't with her.

Never been so proud to be a lana stan.

:illumilana2:

let me correct you--> margaret (instant skip) 

27 minutes ago, Jared said:

So much for ''Jack isn't challenging and pushing Lana in the studio :('' narrative. 

Lana Del Rey’s Collaborators Jack Antonoff, More Discuss ‘Ocean Blvd’ – Rolling Stone

TBH all the "Jack vs other producers talk" makes Lana look like someone who's artistic integrity, process, and growth is tied to the men she's worked with--rather than accepting that she's forged her own way and evolved into the musician she wants to be. 

Lana is in complete creative control, and to blame her falters on Jack or any other producer also means to diminish her successes as the result of her producers; both are untrue. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

Why aren't people talking about how amazing Fishtail is? Like, it combines rock sound with R&B? It's so well executed and sets Peppers up musically. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it.  The execution of all this is so Lana Del Rey

8Qg234E.gif

So why does she censor “mother” (I haven’t seen my mother in a long long time) in Fingertips but not A&W?

d4yQCBo.jpg
The Log Lady [to Laura]: “When this kind of fire starts, it is 
very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.”

20 minutes ago, Sweet said:

Why aren't people talking about how amazing Fishtail is? Like, it combines rock sound with R&B? It's so well executed and sets Peppers up musically. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it.  The execution of all this is so Lana Del Rey

Whut ... rock sound? 

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I finally got my vinyl copy of the album today and I'm so excited to listen to it. I feel like it was made to be listened to in that format

imageproxy.jpg

23 minutes ago, maysparkle said:

So why does she censor “mother” (I haven’t seen my mother in a long long time) in Fingertips but not A&W?

I think it's because in one, she's just stating a fact that she hasn't seen her in a long time but in another she's talking about something really bad her mother did.

It's similar to her using "my father's wife" instead of mother in WFWF when she says she raged at her, and she uses mother in BBS when she says "I'm not friends with my mother, "

When she did Blue Banisters live, somebody asked a question about WFWF and Lana was with his dad, and she made a face and gesture saying let's not talk about it when Rob is here. She was really nervous that she will ask a question about it. 

So, it might be indicating that Rob was not happy that she sang these lines? So maybe,she censored it in Fingertips not to hurt Rob or she wasn't comfortable with it.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

6 minutes ago, Thunder Revenant said:

Whut ... rock sound? 

There's an organic drum kit in the back mixed with programmed R&B beats. You hear it more in the second chorus and outro a lot but it's filtered there

8Qg234E.gif

7 hours ago, reflecting said:

I’d say you’ve got so much time on your hands, why don’t you put that energy in to something more productive :oic2:

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues