Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

The way Portals takes #1 iTunes US in only a few hours and Ocean Blvd couldnt.

:oprah2:

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

53 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

If anything I think they'll feel right about not spending much but releasing a shit ton of merch and variants :party:

True, but like .... Imagine if they actually tried. Like if Lana did a TV performance or radio interviews or music videos before the release. It's just so funny. She's so powerful and they don't even care. :thumb3:

On 3/26/2023 at 12:46 PM, BartenderDeco said:

i feel like lana would be too lazy to make a concept album and if she did she’d mention it

this is a great analysis though 

Fashionably late in answering this but this is an interesting comment.

I do wonder if Lana’s refusal to play the promotional game has led us to believe she’s overall lazy as an artist and incapable to conjure concept albums regardless of whether she promotes them as such or not. In my opinion, Lana as of right now wouldn’t make sure to go out of her way to say this is a concept album the same way most musicians do when they have a concept project in their hands. 

This album is clearly narrative-driven and its structure does obey to a certain narrative of getting in and out of a tunnel: The Grants anticipate this moment (“I’m doing the hard stuff, I’m doing my time”) before the title track and Sweet display her own anxieties as she goes further into her memories and past (fear of being forgotten, the anxiety of being in a relationship and wanting to know about its longevity, as she affirms to being someone deserving of that). From A&W forward she gets into the tunnel, to harrowing (A&W), eerie (the interludes), dark (Candy Necklace) and devastating (Kintsugi + Fingertips) effects as she gets more and more lost in the misty forests of her own traumas. From Paris, Texas forward it feels like she’s coming out of the tunnel (“I just needed two seconds to be me”) which culminates in Margaret, a very bittersweet moment where, as some review points, she’s a spectator of joy rather than a receptor. And then the Fishtail/Peppers/Taco Truck coda where she’s finally embracing the recklessness and devil-may-care side of her that so many people (her mother and some past relationships) made her feel bad and inferior about. Ending the album with “signing off bang bang kiss kiss” feels like a major “fuck off, peace out” ride into the sunset. Who knows where she goes from here - at the end of the day, it’s her path to forge and her trauma seems to be left behind.

This tracklist feels so meticulous and incredibly deliberate in narrative and musicianship that it kind of feels unfair to discredit it as “non-conceptual” because Lana is too “lazy” to do something like that. Just because she’s not being overly promotional about it, doesn’t mean she’s a lazy artist. The fact that she poured so much of herself in this record and formatted it in such an intriguing and confounding fashion, makes me believe she’s anything but lazy.

IMG-7960.jpg

1 hour ago, SalvaWHORE said:

The way Portals takes #1 iTunes US in only a few hours and Ocean Blvd couldnt.

:oprah2:

Lana pumps out albums bi-yearly with bad rollouts(especially the last few eras bar NFR kinda)- Melanie is actually performing and giving her fans regular updates now.

Lana is also known to produce classic/beautiful but likewise very similar piano ballads for the last few years which turned a lot of people off. 

Mel released an uptempo pop album.

And to top it off It’s not surprising- Mel actually takes advantage of her tik tok virality whereas Lana just lets the music speak for itself.

sweet is really growing on me, it's such a cute and sweet track, makes me emotional almost every time i listen to it :krylie:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

6 hours ago, selfbeyondtheory said:

I mean we all hate fishtail lol

The real surprise for me is him liking Margaret so much it 'tore him apart emotionally'... really didn't see that one coming.

im sooooo curious to see what she's going to do next; is she going to build on Ocean Blvd and get that 10? is she going in a totally new direction (the closer on this album makes me think she could, although ive never really bought into the idea that her closer tracks are a peak into her next era) and how long until that work is released? Im already so impatient omg

Bro, her last three-four albums are all about the piano. I think it's there to stay. Yes, OB finished with Taco Truck, but let's all agree that this does not mean another BTD or anything.

13 hours ago, Super Movie said:

Firstly, Lana does have experience producing and has those credits on multiple songs. She's been doing it since the Lizzy Grant days. Ultraviolence (which half of this site acts like is the only album Lana's ever made that's worth listening to) even has songs where Lana has producer credits (PWYC and Guns and Roses). I simply don't think it's accurate to say that Lana's not a producer because she's done it before and I'm sure she'll do it again. 

Secondly, the producer is not the artist! It's really that simple. At the end of the day, it's not about what the producer wants because it's not their album. I think people hold way too much stock in the man behind the scene rather than the person who's actually putting the album out, writing the music, and hiring these producers to help her to best display her vision. It's not about the producers: it's about Lana. 

This is a very stupid argument that should not be had in this thread so moving on. I'm really loving Let The Light In lately. It's currently my most streamed song from the album. 

Ok I hear you . We are dealing three scenarios : A)Lana decided to ditch what made her special ( at least in my eyes -Im talking about vocal delivery - rich and flawless instrumentals ) 

B)Jack’s production is stealing the magic in her music 

C) Jack is influencing Lana to sound more generic and far away from her signature sound 

Whatever is happening in reality it all comes down to Lana starting working with Jack . Ever since then we have the production issues . And it’s not a stupid argument that should not be in this thread because this argument is also about her recent album . 

I like tunnel a lot , I mean half of the songs are already very high on my list . But if it weren’t for the same issues we have been facing again for third time in a row I would enjoy it way way more . 
I don’t understand why people act like crazy when someone says that they miss the old production . 

Never the less , I wouldn’t make such a fuzz about it if it weren’t for the past few leaks that have driven me crazy and thirsty for songs that have that fire 🔥 I so long for . ( I’m taking about pink champagne, summertime demo ) 

For those who enjoy her last albums like I enjoy ultraviolence and honeymoon , I envy you a lot . 
Take care and enjoy the music !!!