Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

37 minutes ago, barttttender said:

People want to feel happy and listen to music at the gym and feel good about their life. Piano music is deep but often depressing. And I say this as a big LDR fan who loves the new album. I love it to pieces, but I also know that I'll be going back to High by the Beach, Ride, Summertime Sadness and Doin' Time more in the long run - cuz those songs make me feel good. Makes sense?

sittin on the sofa, feeling super sucidial

hate to say the word, but, baby hand on the bible, i do feel like it’s you, the one who’s bringing me down 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952zz8el8jya5bv6s5e2ev

On album at least, Lana Del Ray manages her public image very well. Of late, every new release has added to her mystique, finely blurring the lines between the person and the persona, to a point where one is indistinguishable from the other. There is a tension in her songs that arises from not knowing how much of what are hearing is the real Lana Del Ray standing in partial view – papered over by a collage of archaic 1970s pop culture references – and what is half-truth and outright embellishment. Lyrically she continues to fuse her own mythology with the mythology of California. ...Ocean Blvd rises above the sum of its parts and successfully presents an altered reality, blending fact and fiction, memory and desire, physical geography and the shifting geography of the soul. It is for these reasons that, after the dust settles on this golden creative streak, I think this record is going to be a lot of people's favourite Lana Del Ray album.

The direct contrast to Lana would be a pop amazon like Beyonce, whose career is a nesting doll of personas, seemingly refined by focus groups of images consultants and heavily tailored to an album release/tour cycle. There is nothing wrong with that approach. David Bowie and Madonna laid down the template. It works really well and allows for sudden reinvention.

I prefer something more fluid and contiguous, rather than a jarring transition where I can see the joins. I like artists who at least give the appearance of growing organically. For that to happen they need to follow their creative instincts and commit to a regular release schedule. Lana scratches that itch.

1 hour ago, honeymo0n said:

sweet is really growing on me, it's such a cute and sweet track, makes me emotional almost every time i listen to it :krylie:

Same. I always forget playing it because it’s stuck between the singles which I overplayed and then I return to it and I’m like damn that’s amazing

i'm not surprised fantano gave the album a positive review, he's been giving lana generally positive reviews since honeymoon but i am surprised he rated the album so highly and had so few criticisms of it. he even rated it higher than norman which he kept referring to as her best! disappointing tho that he still won't reassess her early work under a new lense but we can't wxpect him to love all hwr albums (even lots of her fans have albums of hera thwy don't like). but i feel like he secretly likes lana more than he's willing to admit, especially since we've seen in previous videos that he seems to know all the lore around her unreleased tracks which most casual fans don't even know about. but anyway, i'm glad he enjoyed the album and i hope his misogynistic fans are seething lol

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

43 minutes ago, barttttender said:

People want to feel happy and listen to music at the gym and feel good about their life. Piano music is deep but often depressing. And I say this as a big LDR fan who loves the new album. I love it to pieces, but I also know that I'll be going back to High by the Beach, Ride, Summertime Sadness and Doin' Time more in the long run - cuz those songs make me feel good. Makes sense?

idk what you're talking about bartie, the other day i had spotify on shuffle during my hip thrusts and when candy necklace came on i kept thrusting like crazy :true::godlaugh2:

14 minutes ago, turquoisejewel said:

idk what you're talking about bartie, the other day i had spotify on shuffle during my hip thrusts and when candy necklace came on i kept thrusting like crazy :true::godlaugh2:

Melancholy boosts my hormones :beyonce:

Though I can see how the last three tracks sound like bonus tracks and it can make perfect sense to end the album at Margaret, I think the album is perfect as is. The last three tracks add a lot of dynamism to the album. I think it would’ve been too heavy of an album without them even though Margaret is a cute happy ending. Also, having the last three songs feels like the album more strongly ties into A&W which seems like the defining song on the album. The album before Margaret feels like the first half of A&W while the last three tracks feel like the second half. I wouldn’t like the album as much without the last three tracks. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

4 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

Have we ranked quarters yet?

Side A > D > C > B

Though side B has Candy Godlace :legend:

What are the sides though? Because to me, there are five distinct sections that all have their own personality:

1. The Grants / Did you know / Sweet
  2. A&W / Judah Smith / Candy Necklace / Jon Batiste
  3. Kinsugi / Fingertips / Paris, Texas
  4. Grandfather / Let the Light In / Margaret
  5. Fishtail / Peppers / Taco Truck x VB

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore