Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

7 minutes ago, Venice Jesus Whore said:

What are the sides though? BecauseĀ to me, there are five distinct sections that all have their own personality:

Ā 

1. The Grants / Did you know / Sweet
  2. A&W / Judah Smith / Candy Necklace / Jon Batiste
  3. Kinsugi / Fingertips / Paris, Texas
  4. Grandfather / Let the Light In / Margaret
  5. Fishtail / Peppers / Taco Truck x VB

How the vinyls are devided hehe

I've listened to the whole album three or four times and it might be one of my favourites, I love Hollywood fairytale feel of it and appreciate she threw in some sexy numbers at the end to keep everyone happy overall. I think it's a really clever album!

at first i felt the last 3 songs felt awkwardly tacked on at the end despite me loving the songs thenĀ i feltĀ maybe the issue is that fishtail should've been placedĀ elsewhere in the tracklist since sonically and thematically it feels out of place where it is but then the more i listened to the album the more i feel like everyĀ track is placed exactly where they'reĀ supposed to be. its like with both nfr &Ā bb i originally felt like sonically and thematically some ofĀ the songs could've been rearranged but i got used to it and can't imagine the songsĀ in any other order. lana clearly arranged the tracklistsĀ very intentionally even if we don't understand it right away.

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

Wow. I can't believe Fantano gave her a -

Spoiler

9/10

She really fucking deserves it. I don't agree with Fantano on a lot (the Ultraviolence review baffles me to this day), but to see that after 9 albums into her career she's just getting better and better according to critics?? That's incredibly rare. I hope people know that she has cemented herself into the American singer-songwriters forever. Born To Die was lightning in a bottle, but to continue to make record after great record, when many other artists peak... she's rare. So proud of her

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

3 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

at first i felt the last 3 songs felt awkwardly tacked on at the end despite me loving the songs thenĀ i feltĀ maybe the issue is that fishtail should've been placedĀ elsewhere in the tracklist since sonically and thematically it feels out of place where it is but then the more i listened to the album the more i feel like everyĀ track is placed exactly where they'reĀ supposed to be. its like with both nfr &Ā bb i originally felt like sonically and thematically some ofĀ the songs could've been rearranged but i got used to it and can't imagine the songsĀ in any other order. lana clearly arranged the tracklistsĀ very intentionally even if we don't understand it right away.

I agree. Fishtail is the weakest track on the record in my opinion (if we're not counting Judah Smith interlude). It's still beautiful, but feels like an LFL outtake to me. "Ella Fitzgerald in the air" totally reminds me of The Blackest Day "All I hear is Billie Holiday..."Ā 

And I do also agree with Fantano's critique of how the record ended. I loved peppers, but I'm not the biggest fan of Taco Truck x VB. I think it could've ended differently. How? I don't know.. just differently.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

My Vinyl arrivedĀ :trisha:

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Ā 

If you had to place each song in a different album how would it look?Ā 
Ā 

for me itā€™s:

the grants BB

Did you know: Chemtrails

Sweet: Honeymoon

A&W: AKA

Candy Necklace: UV

Kintsugi: BB

Fingertips: BB

P, T: HM

Grandfather: NFR

LTLI: LFL

Margaret: NFR

Fishtail: Paradise

Peppers: NFR

TT: NFR

4 minutes ago, Marius said:

Not A&W having a radio versionĀ :flop:

Ā 

Ā 

She should have just recorded a version singing ā€œamerican girlā€ instead of whore, and messing up instead of ā€œfucking upā€. Censoring high is ridiculous but I kinda like how it works in the song, makes it a bit messier