Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

i'm not so sure i've got anything of an epiphany to say about the record but imma just gush. there's this elusive sort of appeal to it that i can't and more so don't really want to pinpoint and name at the moment. it's been so entrancing, and the high contrasts between the sound of cool air'd vocals to the heaviness of the subject matter, the difference of temperatures between the sound of flight, and the bellows of wanting to forget and choosing what to hold onto. the album's just so inter-spatial and fulfilling, liberating as well to many extents. 

graceful, but still earthy, or something i'd attribute to an underwater pocket of an island protected by the sea. maybe i've always taken to heart what my star signs are, but the imagery, and flowing of water thru this record, the complexity of emotions and their necessity's just incredibly pristine. to the sharpness of what sounds like wind karate-chopping a space, and the warmth of reverbs and pulsing beats- this album's like a beautiful living dance of what it means to surmount struggle, and the genius in finding the beauty in it. like falling in love under a thunderstorm, or taking the right steps and finding comfort in keeping course.

it's not something i'd like to analyze to bits, but it's honestly just perfect to me. thank u Lana. consider me inspired, this album's like sunlight christening you from an opened window. 

UV/Honeymoon

Kintsugi through to Grandfather is so cohesive, my fav track run. Especially Paris flowing from Fingertips and then into Grandfather. Those sample melodies are stunning back to back. Paris Texas has grown the most for me, at first i didn't like it but after a few listens i finally get it, it's a very enticing track :justride:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

i feel like this has prob been so obvious to everyone but it JUST clicked for me that god knows i tried (arguably the best songwriting on honeymoon :yesnod:) was a crystal ball for this album, w its lyrics abt hotel california to trying so hard to letting there be light </3

@Favorite Ever this is actually exactly what i feel like rn having my first thought of the yr yAPweJd.gif

mUENGN9.png

Anyone know more as to why RIOPY isn’t credited in the physical versions of Grandfather? I think they’ve back tracked by including him in the digital versions as a visible credit…

Guessing Lana’s team bought the track right maybe? Seems like he got a shit deal compared to SYML 

It’s amusing that RIOPY also doesn’t follow Lana on socials and has limited comments on his account. Must be some kinda gag thing. I wonder if there is bad blood… I do think he deserved the same level of exposure they’ve given SYML

8 minutes ago, HONEYMOON said:

It’s amusing that RIOPY also doesn’t follow Lana on socials and has limited comments on his account. Must be some kinda gag thing. I wonder if there is bad blood… I do think he deserved the same level of exposure they’ve given SYML

said he was a little apprehensive at first when found out that Lana wrote over his piano melody because it's a very personal song. But I don't think he's upset or anything, he's shared some posts about the album.

3 minutes ago, HONEYMOON said:

I don’t thing there is a bad blood. RIOPY talked nicely about the track recently.

Spoiler

RIOPY told Classic FM, “[Lana] reached out to me and told me she loved my music, she had fallen in love with the track, and she had written lyrics on top of it. The song Lana wrote is called Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing and is track number 11 on her new album coming in March later this year. “When I first went to listen to her piece,” RIOPY continued, “I was scared, because you know – that’s my music, and I'm not in the pop world, so I didn’t know what to expect. “But the first time I heard it I could see... the sea. I saw the liquid blue. I think she did a great job – it’s very elegant, and it’s very classy.”

I don’t think it was a personal choice of not including him. It’s more like technical? Paris Texas directly uses SYML’s instrumental but Grandfather adds other elements onto FLO. Maybe they first thought writing credit is enough and then decided it should be featuring. Maybe RIOPY’s team saw the SYML’s featuring and reached out to have themselves featured as well.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

1 minute ago, Let the Light In said:

I don’t thing there is a bad blood. RIOPY talked nicely about the track recently.

Hide contents

RIOPY told Classic FM, “[Lana] reached out to me and told me she loved my music, she had fallen in love with the track, and she had written lyrics on top of it. The song Lana wrote is called Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing and is track number 11 on her new album coming in March later this year. “When I first went to listen to her piece,” RIOPY continued, “I was scared, because you know – that’s my music, and I'm not in the pop world, so I didn’t know what to expect. “But the first time I heard it I could see... the sea. I saw the liquid blue. I think she did a great job – it’s very elegant, and it’s very classy.”

I don’t think it was a personal choice of not including him. It’s more like technical? Paris Texas directly uses SYML’s instrumental but Grandfather adds other elements onto FLO. Maybe they first thought writing credit is enough and then decided it should be featuring. Maybe RIOPY’s team saw the SYML’s featuring and reached out to have themselves featured as well.

Yeah this makes sense to me. Kinda wish the dude fought his corner more though, a visible feature with Lana is a dream for anyone looking to go the next level. Oh well. The track is beautiful!!!

My album marks

1. The Grants 5/5

2. Ocean Blvd 4/5

3. Sweet 5/5

4. A&W 5/5

5. Judah Smith Interlude - no mark

6. Candy Necklace 5/5

7. Jon Batiste interlude - no mark but works very well following Candy Necklace

8. Kintsugi 4/5

9. Fingertips 5/5

10. Paris, Texas 5/5

11. Grandfather 5/5

12. Let the Light in 5/5

13. Margaret 4/5

14. Fishtail 5/5

15. Peppers 5/5

16. Taco Truck 4/5

Her most excellent album. Her Magnus opus. It’s everything Blue Banisters wanted to be but couldn’t. It’s now better than NFR for me and will be remembered as her most authentic and most lyrically rich piece of work.

34 minutes ago, imaginist said:

No

oh i interpreted the song to be about depression or something, travelling around trying to find fulfillment but unable to find it, and the time to go being literally and metaphorically

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

1 minute ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

oh i interpreted the song to be about depression or something, travelling around trying to find fulfillment but unable to find it, and the time to go being literally and metaphorically

You could look at it that way if you want cuz it kinda works, but I’m very positive Lana is not encouraging people to off themselves lmao

Just seems like a simple song explaining if you feel like you don’t fit in where you are anymore or there’s nothing left for you to do there, it’s time to explore and move on and find a better place for yourself where you can thrive. It’s very nomadic, that’s why she mentions all those different places. Kinda seems like Ride’s little sister 

Do you guys think this album will get any more reviews from other publications? There's only 21 reviews on metacritic for now and usually it's 25-28 reviews for each Lana at least or is no one going to review it anymore?

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing