Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

3 hours ago, tomxev said:

I read someone's interpretation was that the clutch of the wrist was her dying relative clutching their wrist to her hand or her wrist at the hospice , and that he thought her hand was his to grab to cough into, as he's fading and not fully there anymore :-(

I agree with this reading, but feel there's an extra layer to it. This is an extremely dense song, and there's a lot to unravel, but I think part of what is behind it is the solidification of memories of a loved one, and how not all the memories are what you would expect them to be. Here, it feels like the narrator felt there was something profound in being grabbed - as though it was a sign of love/connection, but then it became something different - a sign of how this was not the relative she knew, and that he was past rationality ("We only have hours"). It's this discomfort I feel like she's trying to express - she wants to take only happy/pure memories of him with her, but it's this unsettling thing that she's left with.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

4 minutes ago, longtimeman said:

I agree with this reading, but feel there's an extra layer to it. This is an extremely dense song, and there's a lot to unravel, but I think part of what is behind it is the solidification of memories of a loved one, and how not all the memories are what you would expect them to be. Here, it feels like the narrator felt there was something profound in being grabbed - as though it was a sign of love/connection, but then it became something different - a sign of how this was not the relative she knew, and that he was past rationality ("We only have hours"). It's this discomfort I feel like she's trying to express - she wants to take only happy/pure memories of him with her, but it's this unsettling thing that she's left with.

Damn that is deep :wowcry:

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

2 hours ago, Pink Champagne said:

I take it like she’s thinking about who will be with her when she’s dying while she’s hanging out with him. And then she looks over and he’s doing something goofy so it’s a funny line. 

Knowing that she's engaged to a different guy I thought of it as a more negative line. Him? Is this really who I want to marry and die with?

1 minute ago, crazyforyou said:

aeJIfC1.jpg

nc5sYb5.jpg

this was so satisfying to complete

Let me know if you think I missed any

maybe context on lithium in fingertips?

"it wasn't my idea the cocktail of things that twist neurons inside but without them i'd die"

it might also relate to the lyrics about having children in the song as you can't have kids on lithium

Current top 5: 

1. A&W (they laced crack in this song) 

2. Fishtail 

3. Let The Light In 

4. Sweet (haters stay pressed) 

5. Fingertips (the ********m***er********* part scratches an itch)

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

1 minute ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

maybe context on lithium in fingertips?

"it wasn't my idea the cocktail of things that twist neurons inside but without them i'd die"

it might also relate to the lyrics about having children in the song as you can't have kids on lithium

Did we ever figure out if lithium was “the word Lana has never mentioned before” in WW? She said on that livestream that it explains pretty much everything, in which case you might be right 

Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself; I am large - I contain multitudes

:justride:

Just now, crazyforyou said:

Did we ever figure out if lithium was “the word Lana has never mentioned before” in WW? She said on that livestream that it explains pretty much everything, in which case you might be right 

well she never confirmed it obviously but i do think that's the "leading" guess.. it's something she never talked about before really besides wfwf and a few mentions in fingertips. i also think the serene queen reference could have to do with lana's meds, like perhaps she's saying "i needed some time off the meds to be "me" but then i got back on it to be the "serene" queen everybody expects me to be" .. ? idk there are literally so many ways to interpret that song and the message of certain lyrics 

The more I listen to this album, the more I think it might be surpassing Honeymoon for me... which is insanely shocking because I didn't think that would ever happen. 

Ultraviolence is still #1 though.

I'm just so impressed and in love with this album. I'm so happy that she's still making music for herself and us.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

21 minutes ago, crazyforyou said:

There was no confirmation but I believe that word is "lineage".

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024