Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

19 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Well, at least with "I'm a sad girl" I knew what the hell she's singing about. 

When she repeats "Candy neckleces," I have no f-ing idea. 

So, since you're the lyric expert, minding explaining that refrain?

Lyrics can be open to interpretation and there's plenty of extra context in the verses and chorus to get an idea, not every lyric needs to be an overt "he hit me and it felt like a kiss"

The only complaint I keep having (and it’s not about the music, but the physicals) is the booklet. What stops her and her team or whoever’s responsible from including the lyrics to all the songs? It’s disappointing to have such a great album and then checking out the booklet that turns out to only have like 3 pages 

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

I don't mind the new lyricism style. She's obviously grown fond of it and that's great! Her recent albums have really strong lyrical moments. Although of course, I do miss sometimes the simplicity and I could live without the literal description of things such as "Chucky was eating raw pasta while I was watching the football game, sitting bare feet by the chimney" :eartha2: 

Classic song structures are great, but I think the way Lana is experimenting in her music is really interesting! She has the creativity to try and pull it off! 

My only issue with her recent music was the lack of strong production. But I think she achieved to make a raw and intimate album with stunning production with Ocean Blvd.

Could she go bigger? Of course! 

This album proved that you can indeed create an honest and fragile record without it being extremely simple and uninteresting. But the only problem I had with her new style has been resolved, luckily :yesnod:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

1 hour ago, Furor Poeticus said:

The only complaint I keep having (and it’s not about the music, but the physicals) is the booklet. What stops her and her team or whoever’s responsible from including the lyrics to all the songs? It’s disappointing to have such a great album and then checking out the booklet that turns out to only have like 3 pages 

Agreed. I drove 30 minutes to get the album, and the booklet was disappointing. Good booklets are the thing I miss most about the CD era. They were such a cool, visual way to continue the world building of an era. I always loved getting new CDs as a kid and flipping through the booklet while I listened to the album. The ones with the lyrics were always my favorite. Even in the late 2000s/ early 2010s a digital copy of the booklet would be included if you bought it on iTunes. 

Now, Target is the only big store near me that sells CDs anymore, some artists don’t even release physical albums anymore, and the CDs I’ve gotten in recent years have had pretty disappointing, small, low effort booklets. It’s sad, especially for Lana because she’s such an album artist with different visuals for each era, and she’s had gorgeous booklets in the past. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

5 hours ago, Furor Poeticus said:

Oh fuck, not again. (I'm still waiting for my MF CD.)

A.K.A. Fuckin' Mr. Brightside. 

i just hope she didn't scrap the candy necklace video because some people were calling the idea "insensitive" :eek2:

─── ・ 。: *.☽ .* :。 ───

9.gif

You're the king mafia baby
I am the Queen of Alchemy

13 minutes ago, Three White Butterflies said:

let the light in has a star next to it on Apple Music :true:

It doesn't show up on my AP

ocean blvd, a&w, paris texas, peppers and taco truck are the ones with the star, does it depend on anything?

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

1 minute ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

It doesn't show up on my AP

ocean blvd, a&w, paris texas, peppers and taco truck are the ones with the star, does it depend on anything?

It shows

DYK

A&W

Candy Necklace

Paris, Texas

Let the Light In

https://music.apple.com/us/album/did-you-know-that-theres-a-tunnel-under-ocean-blvd/1655349115

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

13 minutes ago, Poppers said:

i just hope she didn't scrap the candy necklace video because some people were calling the idea "insensitive" :eek2:

i'd like to think lana's too much of a free-thinker to do that. i feel like she's more likely to over-explain herself on her instagram after releasing the video to make sure people know she's not trying to exploit the poor girl's death and then inevitably get her words twisted and have to continue to explain herself and get upset that people are continuing to misunderstand her. but i can't think of any times she's scrapped an idea specifically bc people might get the wrong idea. of she scraps it, it'll be bc she changed her mind or just wasn't happy with the end result 

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

As much as interpretative analysis can be fun, there is also such a thing as just letting the lyrics wash over you. Often with Lana’s recent work, the emphasis on stream of consciousness is the point - you’re hearing what can be and maybe even is without pattern. You can interpret and re-interpret and not interpret as you see fit. Not everything has to be figured out - I was annoyed by a recent reactor on YouTube who would complain at people offering essay-length explanations, saying “summarise the song I can’t spend ten minutes reading!” - but you can’t always have it both ways. You want meaning explained to you without having to work for it. If you can’t find meaning after the fact (the song), let alone a succinctly presented one, take the few minutes that the song itself takes to play as the most succinct explanation - the song is the song is the song, everything else is (fruitful or not) extrapolation.

56 minutes ago, bluedealer said:

at this point i just know that CN music video is the new cherry/dark paradise/pwyc 

28 minutes ago, Poppers said:

Once again, they filmed it too late and music videos can take months to edit so I'm not surprised it hasn't come out

I'm disappointed though that it's the first era without a MV and a performance around the release or prior to it

paris, texas and candy necklace entered the UK singles chart without even being singles :hair:

─── ・ 。: *.☽ .* :。 ───

9.gif

You're the king mafia baby
I am the Queen of Alchemy

6 hours ago, Furor Poeticus said:

I feel like I remember she said in a livestream once she didn't like putting lyrics in the booklets? She just likes to pick out her favorite lyrics in each song, or something to that effect... does anyone remember that?

1 hour ago, DLT said:

Side C really is the best side huh. :true:

my personal fav could be side b - candy necklace; fingertips; kintsugi, these are so good. but then there are interludes which are some of my least liked material on the album, especially that fucking pastor interlude. then there’s side a - which is nice, it has title track and a&w which are really good, but the grants and sweet don’t stand out for me. on side c, i really love let the light in, paris texas is nice but i’m less crazy about it, and i’m just okay with grandfather, not one of my faves although it’s not terrible. side d is more experimental and trap influenced, which isn’t necessarily my thing, but i still enjoy songs on it, EXCEPT for margaret, which is the worst song lana has ever released in my opinion. to sum up - personally i can’t tell which side is my favourite, because each has things i really like and dislike about it