Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

My boyfriend and I spent Sunday smoking and playing the album by the beach... it was a gloomy grey day, a bit cold... So peaceful.

Still kinda obsessed with Lana’s background “oh my god” right after Jimmy Jimmy coco puff starts in A&W (right around 5:28 timestamp). Her delivery is just SO good. :oic2:

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

Spoiler

Do you think about Heaven?

Do you think about me?

Should I do a dance for once?

Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Boulevard?

When’s it gonna be my turn?

Whatcha doin’ with your life?

Do you think about it?

Do you contemplate where you came from?

Do you want children?

Do you wanna marry me?

Do you wanna run marathons in Long Beach by the sea?

Do you wanna do them with me?

Do you really think I give a damn what I do after years of just hearing them talking?

If I told you that I was raped, do you really think that anybody would think I didn’t ask for it?

Did you know a singer can still be looking like a side-piece at 33?

Don’t you understand what that means?

You ever talk to somebody?

Does that sound like love?

How could you do it to me, man?

And do you know where I got this verse?

Why would you ever bother with puny, mortal man or being?

Why are you so infatuated with me?

You wanna call God an artist?

How about that?

How do my blood relatives know all these songs?

Will I die?

Or will I get to that 10-year mark?

And if I do, will you be there with me?

Caroline, will you be there with me?

Will the baby be all right?

Will I have one of mine?

Can I handle it?

What kind of mother was she to say I’d end up in institutions?
What the fuck’s wrong in your head to send me away never to come back?

Should I jump off this building now, or do it on the double?

How do you know?

Baby, can’t you see it?

Maybe we should do something like merge this song?

You know that song, Wipeout?

Wouldn’t that be something to talk about for us?

ezgif-2-61df3cf70b84.gif

Peace by vengeance brings the end.

9 minutes ago, That Venice Bitch said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Do you think about Heaven?

Do you think about me?

Should I do a dance for once?

Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Boulevard?

When’s it gonna be my turn?

Whatcha doin’ with your life?

Do you think about it?

Do you contemplate where you came from?

Do you want children?

Do you wanna marry me?

Do you wanna run marathons in Long Beach by the sea?

Do you wanna do them with me?

Do you really think I give a damn what I do after years of just hearing them talking?

If I told you that I was raped, do you really think that anybody would think I didn’t ask for it?

Did you know a singer can still be looking like a side-piece at 33?

Don’t you understand what that means?

You ever talk to somebody?

Does that sound like love?

How could you do it to me, man?

And do you know where I got this verse?

Why would you ever bother with puny, mortal man or being?

Why are you so infatuated with me?

You wanna call God an artist?

How about that?

How do my blood relatives know all these songs?

Will I die?

Or will I get to that 10-year mark?

And if I do, will you be there with me?

Caroline, will you be there with me?

Will the baby be all right?

Will I have one of mine?

Can I handle it?

What kind of mother was she to say I’d end up in institutions?
What the fuck’s wrong in your head to send me away never to come back?

Should I jump off this building now, or do it on the double?

How do you know?

Baby, can’t you see it?

Maybe we should do something like merge this song?

You know that song, Wipeout?

Wouldn’t that be something to talk about for us?

So many questions

49 minutes ago, Venice Jesus Whore said:

Still kinda obsessed with Lana’s background “oh my god” right after Jimmy Jimmy coco puff starts in A&W (right around 5:28 timestamp). Her delivery is just SO good. :oic2:

this and the soft 'oh, okay' after 'It's not about having someone to love me anymore' at the end of the American Whore section 

the adlibs in A&W are perfection

𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚒𝚐 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎, 𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚢𝚕𝚟𝚒𝚊 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚑

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

25 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

Aaron / For Whatever Reason deleted his channel :sadcore2:

He wrote on Patreon that he had to delete the channel. This is his short message: 

“I know this is sudden, but I've got some pretty heavy personal stuff happening right now, and it's necessitating me putting an end to FWR.  I'm very sorry.
I appreciate you all being part of this journey with me, and I wish you nothing but the best. 
-Aaron”

I’m also shocked and pretty sad to hear this news because he was such a good person at analyzing music. Also, it was so nice just waking up to a new FWR video. He’ll definitely be missed - i hope he likes the new Lana record. 😢

My honest personal opinion on Fishtail and why I think it's the only weak spot on Ocean Blvd: I don't like that it's a straight-up trap song, it sorta ruins the flow of the album, especially after such classic-sounding songs like Let The Light In and Margaret. It should've been more of a trip hop with actual drums instead of 808s. It does "prepare" the listener for the next two songs, but still. The lyrics rely too much on the "You wanted me sadder" topic which was much better executed in previous songs (like Mariners Apartment Complex), and the whole "you told me you were going to do X but you didn't" idea is a carbon copy of Blue Banisters (one of her best songs thematically). Also, the vague Ella name-drop falls flat in comparison with the rest of the album's genius references and interpolations.

I do love the whole intro right before the trap beat, I love how it builds up and feels beachy and breezy. I love the Jump reference.

Overall, it's not a bad song, but certainly a weak LDR song, especially inside of an album that is everything but weak.

20 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

Aaron / For Whatever Reason deleted his channel :sadcore2:

Did he delete it or was his account deleted though? 

12 minutes ago, Eat The Ducky Moss said:

He wrote on Patreon that he had to delete the channel. This is his short message: 

“I know this is sudden, but I've got some pretty heavy personal stuff happening right now, and it's necessitating me putting an end to FWR.  I'm very sorry.
I appreciate you all being part of this journey with me, and I wish you nothing but the best. 
-Aaron”

I’m also shocked by the news and pretty sad to hear this news because he was such a good person at analyzing music. Also, it was so nice just waking up to a new FWR video. He’ll definitely be missed - i hope he likes the new Lana record. 😢

ohhh ok never mind..

he seemed really happy in the last video so this is really strange, hopefully he comes back. Idk why he couldn't just leave the channel up though instead of removing it

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Fingertips and Kintsugi should have never been placed on the album. Should have stayed as they are, as poems and placed in her next poetry book. :azealia:

I know these two songs are everyone's favorites in the fandom, but they don't work well at all as songs. 

1 minute ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Fingertips and Kintsugi should have never been placed on the album. Should have stayed as they are, as poems and placed in her next poetry book. :azealia:

:flop: Kintsugi is top 10 material 

26 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

My honest personal opinion on Fishtail and why I think it's the only weak spot on Ocean Blvd: I don't like that it's a straight-up trap song, it sorta ruins the flow of the album, especially after such classic-sounding songs like Let The Light In and Margaret. It should've been more of a trip hop with actual drums instead of 808s. It does "prepare" the listener for the next two songs, but still. The lyrics rely too much on the "You wanted me sadder" topic which was much better executed in previous songs (like Mariners Apartment Complex), and the whole "you told me you were going to do X but you didn't" idea is a carbon copy of Blue Banisters (one of her best songs thematically). Also, the vague Ella name-drop falls flat in comparison with the rest of the album's genius references and interpolations.

I do love the whole intro right before the trap beat, I love how it builds up and feels beachy and breezy. I love the Jump reference.

Overall, it's not a bad song, but certainly a weak LDR song, especially inside of an album that is everything but weak.

I agree that the lyrics are weaker, that the lyrics and production are less ambitious, experimental, and unique compared to the rest of the album, BUT that doesn’t change the fact that, sonically, Fishtail is one of my favorites on the album and will be one of my most played songs from it.

I think the last three songs all feel less developed and groundbreaking compared to the rest of the album in terms of its themes, lyrics, and production - which is why people keep saying they sound like bonus tracks. They all divulge from the message of the album, the lyrics are less creative, have less effort, aren’t as groundbreaking. Taco Truck didn’t even get a full a song and the whole “Spin it 'til you whip it into a cream, baby” part feels underdeveloped imo.

But same as Fishtail for me, that doesn’t make me love them any less and they will be some of my most played songs. They add a level of dynamism that the album would’ve been way too heavy and slow without. It feels cathartic to have a really heavy, focused, personal album end in what feels like a celebration. “Signing off, bang bang, kiss kiss.”

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

6 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

I know these two songs are everyone's favorites in the fandom, but they don't work well at all as songs. 

my current top 3 is Kintsugi, Fingertips and Candy Necklace :deadbanana:

27 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

Another song that is a poem and forcefully turned into a song. Should have also been left out of the album and placed in her next poetry book. 

4 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Charts are boring - stop buying her albums with bad rollouts :paris:  she does too little promo as it is - we’ve had nothing this era, just prison soup!

Not even a radio interview girl like wtf

she did a very small radio 1 interview tho :umadney:

5 hours ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

I agree with this! Grandfather has gorgeous instrumentation but it doesn't have any re play value for me💀

Paris, Texas is okay 

yeah they aren't exactly bad songs but they're not anything near my favorites on this album either. i like them just fine, but don't want to go back to those to replay. they're there, they exist but meh. 

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

5 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

my current top 3 is Kintsugi, Fingertips and Candy Necklace :deadbanana:

Candy Necklace is a song, not a poem, which is very obvious. Also my favorite song in the album right along with John's interlude. :wub:

7 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

:flop: Kintsugi is top 10 material 

It's a top ten in poetry, not in song, for me anyway.

I love the words, I printed them and read it as a poem, and it's so person and gorgeous, but on the album it's cringe. Should have never been sung out with music in my opinion.