Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

20 minutes ago, gaylien said:

Do we know if Lana and Mike Dean ever made more songs together? I forget where it was talked about, maybe in Mike Dean's interview with Fantano. But idk the end of Ocean Blvd is very deliberate in its style and I wonder if it's to lead into a Mike Dean-heavy LDR10

I hope not- :awk:

15 hours ago, Vertimus said:

Full agree. Why Lana apparently chose the entire production to come off so 'dim' and muffled is beyond me, especially on the vocals. It makes the whole album feel sleepy and distant. To me it sounds as if she were singing on the other side of the room from the mic during the whole time in the studio. And that goes for the music too. 

Crisp, clear, direct, it is not.  

I agree about the AirPods too, even the most current model. 

And that's why this thread died, IMO. It's not because of the early leaks, it's because the album is not exactly vibrant. To use Chaotic Lipster's phrase, I don't think the replay value is strong the way it is on many other of Lana's albums, that we've literally been listening to years and haven't tired of. 

I hear ya. Honestly, it's a bit sad when you go from a song like Born to Die with its loud, bangin' production to like Candy Necklace that's super somber and barely audible in comparison. Or when Sir ijumps from Ocean Boulevard to The Weekend. It's like driving from under the sea and into the city. I still like the album a lot, I just wish it was mixed normally.

6 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

yeah it's not buried - maybe the mixing is not clear enough and definitely the EQ is not well executed. sometimes it sounds like she's too close to the mic and they didn't reduce the lower frequencies aka it sounds too muffled. that sort of keeps me from fully enjoy all of the songs.

and what annoys me the most is the stark contrast with songs like The Grants, title track or Let the Light In, where her vocals are loud and clear, sometimes too much it even clips :headache:

Yeah, I guess it's what you get when you have like 7 producers listed. When Knowels was producing Lust for Life, it all had an evenly loud sound and similar mixing despite the different vibes and arrangements of each song. So I'm gonna say it's the mixing that's the issue with OB - the mastering and mixing. 

17 minutes ago, barttttender said:

I hear ya. Honestly, it's a bit sad when you go from a song like Born to Die with its loud, bangin' production to like Candy Necklace that's super somber and barely audible in comparison. Or when Sir ijumps from Ocean Boulevard to The Weekend. It's like driving from under the sea and into the city. I still like the album a lot, I just wish it was mixed normally.

So I'm not the only one who can't hear the album clearly. I thought it was just me. Good to know. 

I feel like this has been going on since NFR, worst on some songs and not so bad in others. 

The way she phrases “honey” in Jon Batiste Interlude scratches such an itch. The album has so many ear worms 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

2 hours ago, taco truck said:

I kind of think Lana doesn’t like Mike Dean their interaction at the award where Lana wore that shein dress was rly awkward 

Quoting this old ass post but honestly I feel like ever since he pulled the stunt where he posted a bunch of snippets for WFWF she was probably done with him :rip: 

that was incredibly cringeworthy looking back on it. 

25 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

So I'm not the only one who can't hear the album clearly. I thought it was just me. Good to know. 

I feel like this has been going on since NFR, worst on some songs and not so bad in others. 

Usually I play music on 40% on my homepod. It's the optimal volume. Some albums are loud so sometimes I have to lower the volume to 30% not to bug the neighbors who have a little kid.

I just played Paris, Texas and had to go to 80% (!) to hear it. And there's no chance neighbors would get upset. So, that's where we are with Lana's albums right now. 

28 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

yeah, chemtrails was when it started I think. That's when I first felt like I was deaf, having to keep raising the volume.

17 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

Quoting this old ass post but honestly I feel like ever since he pulled the stunt where he posted a bunch of snippets for WFWF she was probably done with him :rip: 

that was incredibly cringeworthy looking back on it. 

Is it really that old? it was only posted 3 hours ago:air:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

7 hours ago, Rusted iron gates said:

Genuine question: does Lana’s voice on most songs on Blvd sound extremely muffled to anyone else? Maybe I’m loosing my mind but something about the sound mixing/ production seems off?!? I’ve been finding it really heard to listen to this album because of this. Sounds like her voice is buried under the instruments to me. Let the light in seems to be the only song that escapes this?!? 

Honestly, this seems to be 100% intentional on Lana's part. She seems to love experimenting with vocal texture and clarity. I doubt we'll ever get an album with crystal clear vocals like Born to Die again, and I think that's how she likes it.

19 minutes ago, The Rhino Designer said:

Honestly, this seems to be 100% intentional on Lana's part. She seems to love experimenting with vocal texture and clarity. I doubt we'll ever get an album with crystal clear vocals like Born to Die again, and I think that's how she likes it.

she likes it bad then

3 minutes ago, ShadesOfViolence said:

she likes it bad then

Literally:air2: so tired of “that’s how she wants it, it’s intentional” OK WELL ITS BAD!!! 😭😭 Taylor intentionally made ME! a fun happy pop song and it still sucks:bye:

I literally barely listen to Kintsugi even though I love it, because the voice is so muffled it sounds like I’m listening through one of those fucking can phone things you would make when you were a kid

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

12 hours ago, Rusted iron gates said:

Genuine question: does Lana’s voice on most songs on Blvd sound extremely muffled to anyone else? Maybe I’m loosing my mind but something about the sound mixing/ production seems off?!? I’ve been finding it really heard to listen to this album because of this. Sounds like her voice is buried under the instruments to me. Let the light in seems to be the only song that escapes this?!? 

Have you heard of Ultraviolence?

4 hours ago, The Rhino Designer said:

NFR was pretty crystal clear (except for HTD). Also way less reverb. Almost asmr like vocal mixing. Love Song is the most apparent. Tickles the brain just right.

BB was crystal clear too, too clear to the point of nails on a chalkboard.

know she already said that this is her first album that she disn't really have any colors in her mind to describe the album. But here are the colors that describe the songs in my mind:

The Grants

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

Sweet

A&W

Judah Smith Interlude

Candy Necklace

Jon Batiste Interlude

Kintsugi

Fingertips

Paris, Texas

Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing

Let The Light In

Margaret

Fishtail

Peppers

Taco Truck x VB

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

The Grants

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

Sweet

A&W

Judah Smith Interlude

Candy Necklace

Jon Batiste Interlude

Kintsugi

Fingertips

Paris, Texas

Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing

Let The Light In

Margaret

Fishtail

Peppers

Taco Truck x VB

UV/Honeymoon