Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

1 hour ago, taco truck said:

in simple terms

soty is based on song writing

roty is based on production

That's why they gave Bad Guy song of the year:silly:

Beautiful lyrics😍 * sarcasm * 

But yeah, I thought about it, thanks for you confirmation 💞

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

7 minutes ago, gaylien said:

Damn that makes me so sad. He was really great, so genuine and calming, and appreciated tons of small details in the music. I loved him I hope all is okay

Aaron's okay. It is temporary. I get it, because sometimes I have to walk away from my laptop and twitter accounts to get stuff done . . .

4 hours ago, Liliane said:

The grants cleared the whole album

...from being a 10/10 

:oprah3:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

there's a reluctance in me to listen to Sweet but not in the way that you might think. personally, past it's hymn-like sound, there's a genuine gem of a song. the subject matter, 

the refs of finding a basic woman at the beverly center's a jab, and ref's chemtrails title track (wealth, opulence but for nothing day gazing)

do you wanna run marathons? is so so much better from malt-liquor on your breath my my my/ old man's a bad man = a man that's a bit more leveled to her own place in life. 

magic in my hands/ stars in my eyes, I'm a different kind of woman, ...(find me) refs Arcadia (as well as it's musical/theater sound)

do you want children, do u wanna marry me? whatcha doin with your life, where we come from? 
do you wanna do all these things w me? 

it's a soft response away from her lover's perspective, distanced away but she still leaves the door open, not from a place of desperation/ need, but from a place of self-assurance and poise. 

how the piano rolls and cascades to keep the tempo. the chorus sounding like the tracing of her dress as she might be twirling in it in sunlight

UV/Honeymoon

1 hour ago, PARADIXO said:

i cant believe how good a&w is

Best song on the album period. Definitely a highlight in her career. Or maybe I just think that because I can heavily relate to the whole song :dmd:

giphy.gif

"𝒹𝑜𝓃𝓉 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝑔𝑒𝓉 𝓂𝑒, 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓉𝓊𝓃𝓃𝑒𝓁 𝓊𝓃𝒹𝑒𝓇 𝑜𝒸𝑒𝒶𝓃 𝒷𝓁𝓋𝒹"

instagram

Song of the year, or record of the year nominee, will be Candy Necklace. A&W is critic fav, but not mainstream enough for that award. The subject matter is too edgy . . . Also, does anyone on here agree it is telling mainly about white girl problems? Not that they are not universal . . . Black child abuse is incestuous rape by an uncle . . . or, being prostituted out by family members. What was Oprah's deal? From wikipedia:

Winfrey has stated she was molested by her cousin, uncle, and a family friend, starting when she was nine years old . . . Winfrey once commented that she had chosen not to be a mother because she had not been mothered well.[42] At 13, after suffering what she described as years of abuse, Winfrey ran away from home.[24] When she was 14, she became pregnant, but her son was born prematurely and died shortly after birth.[43] Winfrey later stated she felt betrayed by the family member who had sold the story of her son to the National Enquirer in 1990.

Oprah went on to graduate college and become a successful journalist, parlay that into a hit show, and touched lives, mine included! That is before the time of most of the Lanaboards members. Oprah had everybody on the show, even kleptomaniacs, survivors of abuse, and Southerners who used the "n" word! Besides celebs. The reviewers who read A&W as chaotic have it right, imo. But some are saying in Part II, Lana is claiming her freedom and living it up. Because it sends mixed messages that Lana has historically had pinned on her, which are not true, I think it shouldn't be a contender.

Candy Necklace, a collab with John Batiste, already a Grammy fav, might be a suitable nominee. I think all the songs on Ocean Boulevard album could be, except Judah interlude, which I never heard. I love them, except the last two are a bit too gritty for me . . . Candy Necklace is just as worthy as any of them.

A&W I agree with the commenter who said, "A&W is a masterpiece for feminine pain." Across cultures, adults sticking children with adult accountability and shame is real.

1 hour ago, CinnamonGay said:

I think Kintsugi is a much better contender for SOTY compared to A&W.

:wub:

A&W- best alternative performance ?

Kintsugi would make half the voters jump out a window from sadness, that song is 6 minutes of pure depression. Title Track, A&W or CN or Paris, Texas all have better chances ( maybe not PT cus it's technically a sample?) I dunno I don't know the rules and I'm not sure Lana cares anymore. 

9 hours ago, slasherflicks said:

I will give that Fingertips is some her best lyrics on the album!!!! but what does the song itself, a cinematic ballad, "do for the album" after literally all the songs before it (minus A&W) are all cinematic ballads lol, especially since it's JUST after Kintsugi which was already a slow piano ballad about family/loss/etc. It just feels unnecessary

Fingertips is the heart of this album for me, where she is at her most vulnerable and makes her most shocking confessions. It's the climax, everything before is a kind of preparation, and everything after is relaxation.

btw I like the title very much, because it's the most touching song