Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Just now, burthday kake said:

i have nothing to add, you nailed it !!:cryney2:

it’s such a sad topic because like she’s such a genuine person and i just wish her the best. hearing those songs rlly hit hard and i want her to just have an amazing life with someone who truly cherishes her :krylie: i just feel this intense feeling of empathy for her bc she’s been through so much. i was gonna do an analysis on fingertips but there’s so much to unpack and i kept getting emotional so it’s practically impossible lol

I've got things

to dooo                                                                      with youuuu    

I wanna do them 

at all 

like nothing 

DO YOU WANNNNA DO THEM WITH MEEEE???????

faSE.gif

1 hour ago, the greatest bitch said:

I’m pretty sure it’s summer - Spotify and genius both have summer.

spotify and genius are both often wrong. does anyone have the vocals isolated? that usually helps when trying to determine lyrics

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

6 hours ago, slang said:

Disclaimer: Following Judah's interlude ending disclaimer, this post will be more about slang than LDR or Ocean Blvd.

Took me awhile to formulate opinions (and keep up to date with the post-release thread). I think OB is easily Norman quality and I'd rate it high (although I like BB more than NFR, especially since she's shaded/dissed BB recently). I'd describe OB as an emotional scrapbook or mobile (that decorative thingee), as some songs seem yoked, or balance each other off. You can also think of the overall album structure as symphonic-like, with songs coming in coherent stretches of mood.  So the spacey/trancey, topic-compatible Kintsugi/Fingertips, is stuck in the middle as a kind of slow movement, between more dynamic sections. The opening 3 songs are wholesome/family-oriented and define a retro movement, being gospel and two pre-rock-era torch songs. The stretch from A&W to JBI is an existential-nausea movement (and I like the proggy elements), dealing with not-so-wholesome ideas/activities, with JSI turning up there, as a curious balance to the JBI, the latter something like a drug trip description? Classic LDR wtf stuff. The 4 songs after K/F, Paris through Margaret, are lighter. Paris (Texas) balances Margaret, as both songs are opposite topic-wise. Finally, the last tracks are more rambunctious, as last movements usually are. Fishtails evolves to Peppers, as does Taco Truck to VB. The VB reprise was cool, imo, especially if it means that the stretch of albums from NFR to OB form a complete arc (i.e., VB being used as a "reminiscenza", as with symphonies that end with themes that refer to the first movement). What's good about that interpretation is she's about to start a different album arc. However, the reworking was actually good enough, to have it preserved, as a kind of acid-flashback, which her lyrics somewhat suggest. I really wonder whether this version of the VB outro was earlier than the NFR-version (receipts?).

random ravings: 

I get trippy double-image effects throughout, where I'm not sure if she's talking about dead people, boyfriends, dying/getting boyfriends, or all at the same time. So the Grants start off pleading with a guy, but turns out to be more interested in taking family memories when she "goes". Is "when's it gonna be my turn" in OB referring to a stable relationship (as suggested by the word "love"), or the"taking of memories" stuff (suggested by the word "death")? In Kintsugi does "daddy, I miss them" refer to dead people or boyfriends; I'm guessing both here, given she name-checks Donoghue (a first in a released song?).

Let the Light In & Fishtails give me Barrie-vibes a bit, not with respect to his music, but more about him. Also I couldn't find Cold Coffee (his first album, which deals with his breakup with her) on Amazon or Itunes, and in Spotify it's greyed out. So I'm wondering why he's AKA'ed that album. Hopefully it's temporary.

I believe Barrie a while ago said it has to do with label issues

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

The way that i cant stop replaying Fingertips today.

As heavy as the lyrical content, it calms my soul,  brings me peace & helps me sleep these days. I literally put this song on the loop.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

39 minutes ago, Three White Butterflies said:

I've got things

to dooo                                                                      with youuuu    

I wanna do them 

at all 

like nothing 

DO YOU WANNNNA DO THEM WITH MEEEE???????

katy-perry-cry.gif

OMG idk if anyone brought this up already but what if Dark Paradise is about Aaron Greene? I just realized the lyrical parallels between the pre chorus of dark paradise and her singing about Aaron in fingertips. In Dark Paradise Lana sings: 

And there's no remedy for memory, your face is like a melody
It won't leave my head
Your soul is haunting me and telling me that everything is fine
But I wish I was dead (dead, like you)

in fingertips, lana revealed how:

Aaron ended up dead and not me”

So what if the person Lana is grieving in Dark Paradise Aaron? Someone tell me if I’m being delusional 😭

2 minutes ago, HausofMeredith said:

When do you guys think she will release a music video? I know I’m being impatient but it’s been a few weeks since release, I was kind of expecting one by now

April 31st. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

Loving the song interpretations on the previous page. Can we try to finally make sense of Grandfather? Of course, the bridge is a clear response to the criticism she received over her question for the culture instagram post. But what does her grandfather & connection with god have to do with that? Why did she put those 2 sentiments in the same song? And why does she ask for ancestral guidance/support/assistance for an activity as low-stakes as deep-sea fishing? It's safe to say whether Rob manages to catch a fish or not, they will be able to eat that night, but it's more about a longing for spiritual help from god but like...what? :what:

15 minutes ago, HausofMeredith said:

When do you guys think she will release a music video? I know I’m being impatient but it’s been a few weeks since release, I was kind of expecting one by now

April 14th (that's this Friday:excited:)

3 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Loving the song interpretations on the previous page. Can we try to finally make sense of Grandfather? Of course, the bridge is a clear response to the criticism she received over her question for the culture instagram post. But what does her grandfather & connection with god have to do with that? Why did she put those 2 sentiments in the same song? And why does she ask for ancestral guidance/support/assistance for an activity as low-stakes as deep-sea fishing? It's safe to say whether Rob manages to catch a fish or not, they will be able to eat that night, but it's more about a longing for spiritual help from god but like...what? :what:

i have absolutely no clue :bebe: that song is a total mystery to me. even though it sounds beautiful, the lyrical content is so confusing makes makes the song less replayable for me

24 minutes ago, esotericfaerie said:

OMG idk if anyone brought this up already but what if Dark Paradise is about Aaron Greene? I just realized the lyrical parallels between the pre chorus of dark paradise and her singing about Aaron in fingertips. In Dark Paradise Lana sings: 

And there's no remedy for memory, your face is like a melody
It won't leave my head
Your soul is haunting me and telling me that everything is fine
But I wish I was dead (dead, like you)

in fingertips, lana revealed how:

Aaron ended up dead and not me”

So what if the person Lana is grieving in Dark Paradise Aaron? Someone tell me if I’m being delusional 😭

Body Electric is about a dead guy too 👀

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

3 minutes ago, Creyk said:

I think the song highlights her fear of losing people in her family and her deep ancestral bonds she has with them. It shows how her family shaped her more and not the industry plan accusations 

sgopYhV.gif