Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

2 hours ago, esotericfaerie said:

OMG idk if anyone brought this up already but what if Dark Paradise is about Aaron Greene? I just realized the lyrical parallels between the pre chorus of dark paradise and her singing about Aaron in fingertips. In Dark Paradise Lana sings: 

And there's no remedy for memory, your face is like a melody
It won't leave my head
Your soul is haunting me and telling me that everything is fine
But I wish I was dead (dead, like you)

in fingertips, lana revealed how:

Aaron ended up dead and not me”

So what if the person Lana is grieving in Dark Paradise Aaron? Someone tell me if I’m being delusional 😭

not to mention the references to the ocean...

i'm lying in the ocean, singing your song

pulled me up by my waist, long hair to the beachside

i wanted to go out like you

swim with the fishes that he caught on rhode island beaches

she also mentions the ocean similarily in kill kill/the ocean

the ocean makes me cry

i'm in love with a dying man, i'm in love, lying in the sand

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

5 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

not to mention the references to the ocean...

i'm lying in the ocean, singing your song

pulled me up by my waist, long hair to the beachside

i wanted to go out like you

swim with the fishes that he caught on rhode island beachsides

she also mentions the ocean similarily in kill kill/the ocean

the ocean makes me cry

i'm in love with a dying man, i'm in love, lying in the sand

this is super likely imo  :icant:

3 hours ago, Three White Butterflies said:

I've got things

to dooo                                                                      with youuuu    

I wanna do them 

at all 

like nothing 

DO YOU WANNNNA DO THEM WITH MEEEE???????

I've got things to do with you I wanna do them at all like nothing do you wanna do them with me?

Grandma-Finds-The-Internet.jpg

Capture.jpg

candy necklace has kind of fallen off of a CLIFF in my rankings. I was sure it would be in my top 10 lana songs when i heard the LQ leak and then the HQ version for the first time, but its grown off a bit.

the grants and sweet have been fine wine however, they are both probably in my top 5 on the album now :trisha: 

side a is truly some of the most excellent music ummm EVER.....

32 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Loving the song interpretations on the previous page. Can we try to finally make sense of Grandfather? Of course, the bridge is a clear response to the criticism she received over her question for the culture instagram post. But what does her grandfather & connection with god have to do with that? Why did she put those 2 sentiments in the same song? And why does she ask for ancestral guidance/support/assistance for an activity as low-stakes as deep-sea fishing? It's safe to say whether Rob manages to catch a fish or not, they will be able to eat that night, but it's more about a longing for spiritual help from god but like...what? :what:

I think this grandfather line stands for her "good intentions." She can't influence what dangerous things her father does, like shark fishing in the Pacific, but she can at least pray or wish that her (dead) grandfather will guide him or prevent him from falling into the water. She also cannot influence what thousands of people think about her, the only thing she can do is to act with good intentions and hope that people will eventually understand her.

25 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Loving the song interpretations on the previous page. Can we try to finally make sense of Grandfather? Of course, the bridge is a clear response to the criticism she received over her question for the culture instagram post. But what does her grandfather & connection with god have to do with that? Why did she put those 2 sentiments in the same song? And why does she ask for ancestral guidance/support/assistance for an activity as low-stakes as deep-sea fishing? It's safe to say whether Rob manages to catch a fish or not, they will be able to eat that night, but it's more about a longing for spiritual help from god but like...what? :what:

As someone who’s father and uncles used to go deep sea fishing up north, it’s seen as a bonding time and usually a very quiet place to clear your thoughts out on the ocean. I feel like she’s praying that her ancestors are watching over them even in their everyday lives and the things they wish to perceive. “While he’s deep sea fishing, for all the things he’s wishing” I think shes also recognizing her role as someone who has a lot of influence and is praying that her influence is perceived for the better. “I know they think it took thousands of people to put me together again” “a fallible deity” “regrettably a white woman” I took these lines as her recognizing what the public says about her, and that she’s reflected on the impact that her words can have and taken a step outside of herself to ask for guidance to make sure her intentions line up with how she is perceived. She’s asking god for a sign that she’s on the right track :)

Just my two cents but I think the “open me up, tell me you like it, fuck me to death, love me until I love myself” line also has a meaning about her relationship with media and fans. 

Open me up = I can’t help but feel somewhat like my body marred my soul (Lana talked about thinking the reason why she got so criticized was her face and the way she looked, to me she’s saying see through my body and into my soul) 

Tell me you like it = I have good intentions (even if I’m one of the last ones) 

Fuck me to death = They built me up three hundred tall just to tear me down

Love me until I love myself = ( Lana seems to be more comfortable with herself these last years and at the same she got one of her biggest backlashes so to me she’s addressing that) 

Meh maybe it doesn’t make sense but this is the way I interpreted the song on the first listen 

18 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

candy necklace has kind of fallen off of a CLIFF in my rankings. I was sure it would be in my top 10 lana songs when i heard the LQ leak and then the HQ version for the first time, but its grown off a bit.

the grants and sweet have been fine wine however, they are both probably in my top 5 on the album now :trisha: 

side a is truly some of the most excellent music ummm EVER.....

it’s too long :um2:

the long intro, the instrumental break in the middle, and then two minutes of “candy necklaces”

And it’s in between two interludes like what is the reason :ahhney:

"Don’t forget me"

The more and more i listen to the album , the more and more im falling in love with it  … 

didnt expect such a grower :D 
i hope this album will finaly bring her the well deserved Grammy 

This is probably in the wrong thread. 

Kind of Lana related as we just passed Easter and she is engaged. 

Where do rabbits go after their wedding?

On their bunnymoon!

47 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

I think this grandfather line stands for her "good intentions." She can't influence what dangerous things her father does, like shark fishing in the Pacific, but she can at least pray or wish that her (dead) grandfather will guide him or prevent him from falling into the water. She also cannot influence what thousands of people think about her, the only thing she can do is to act with good intentions and hope that people will eventually understand her.

36 minutes ago, Offtotheraces01 said:

As someone who’s father and uncles used to go deep sea fishing up north, it’s seen as a bonding time and usually a very quiet place to clear your thoughts out on the ocean. I feel like she’s praying that her ancestors are watching over them even in their everyday lives and the things they wish to perceive. “While he’s deep sea fishing, for all the things he’s wishing” I think shes also recognizing her role as someone who has a lot of influence and is praying that her influence is perceived for the better. “I know they think it took thousands of people to put me together again” “a fallible deity” “regrettably a white woman” I took these lines as her recognizing what the public says about her, and that she’s reflected on the impact that her words can have and taken a step outside of herself to ask for guidance to make sure her intentions line up with how she is perceived. She’s asking god for a sign that she’s on the right track :)

Oh wow, I am loving these thoughts thanks you guys! :kiss: It makes more sense now

1 minute ago, FredRed said:

This is probably in the wrong thread. 

Kind of Lana related as we just passed Easter and she is engaged. 

Where do rabbits go after their wedding?

On their bunnymoon!

our bunnymoon, say you want me too

117166570_1148183.gif?4

Capture.jpg

I haven't shared my thoughts about the album yet (gonna do that in the next days) but all I can say is that my favourites are: 

A&W

earthquake-meme-girl-earthquake-meme.gif

Candy Necklace 

1e5b0ec7e08f1c30e9dc308e3bbf64d6.gif

Let The Serve In 

giphy.gif

Fishbop - Slaytails In My Mind 

dancing-while-crying-dancing-crying.gif

Peppers 

Truck-Crash.gif

Taco Slay × Venice Biatch

uW5O48.gif

THE WHOLE ALBUM IS SO GOOD, BOZita was right TOP 3 ALBUM INDEED:lange::trisha:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2: