Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

7 hours ago, syrup amour said:

I was just sitting and listening to Candy necklace, I had my Lana playlist on shuffle, and for the first time I think I know what people mean when they said that this album has a weird almost muffled sound. I wouldn’t say that it sounds like it’s recorded with a toaster, which is how other people have put it, but I get it now. It came up after White Mustang, it was shocking how different the quality was. However that does not mean that I don’t love the album, I just wonder why that’s so.

it's like she's embarrassed of her own sound so she made the album as quiet as possible. Played it at the gym after doja cat - barely heard anything with FULL VOLUME ON and HUGE SPEAKERS.

We literally need more tens to add on the Metacritic to get the album back to 82. THESE MOTHERFUCKERS ARE PLAYING AND TRYING TO DRAG HER DOWN EVERY DAMN ERA:smokes3:

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

1 hour ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

In Interview Mag she says

“I know from Echo Park, like Drew Erickson, Benji, and Zach Dawes. Later, I found out they were composing for all these great people like Weyes Blood and Father John Misty and Pink Floyd.”

Which producer worked with Pink Floyd??? I can’t find anything about it on the internet lol

It's not quite Pink Floyd, but it seems Benji (as part of Ambulance Ltd.) was involved in a David Gilmour release:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1536032-Ambulance-LTD-Active-Ingredients-4-Songs-On-Two-7-Records

Edit: hang on, that's not a production - it's a cover. I was thrown off by discog's slightly confusing interface.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

8 hours ago, blackpalmtrees said:

She just sits in a studio singing into a mic its not like she produces or mixes the entire album… y’all make it seem like she’s slaving away just for our satisfaction 

Music is her hobby not her job, her job is to keep us entertained 

Harry Nilsson has a song, his voice breaks at 2:05…….

~*Contemplating at Costco the Santa Clarita fires.*~

I just want to put my 2 cents in about the quietness/muffled sound of the album. This is because Lana has gradually stopped competing in what’s called “the loudness war” in music, which is where pop music is made to be as loud as possible without distorting. This is great for streaming and shopping mall speakers and stuff because any song from any musician can play in sequence and it will all be at the same volume. Here you can see the waveforms of Born To Die, Norman, Candy Necklace and Say So by Doja Cat. See how Say So is just a solid bar of black? If Candy Necklace wanted to explode into a loud outro, it could, but Say So is entirely a loud explosion and can’t go anywhere else. It also means that in the context of an album, if Lana wants one song to get louder than all the rest as part of the emotional trajectory of the album (Grandfather), she is able to do that. In comparison to any given pop music right now, Lana’s will sound quiet and muffled because it hasn’t had the Father, the Son AND the Holy Spirit compressed and EQ’d out of it  :wub:

Screen-Shot-2023-04-15-at-2-23-23-pm.png

20 minutes ago, honey dew said:

I just want to put my 2 cents in about the quietness/muffled sound of the album. This is because Lana has gradually stopped competing in what’s called “the loudness war” in music, which is where pop music is made to be as loud as possible without distorting. This is great for streaming and shopping mall speakers and stuff because any song from any musician can play in sequence and it will all be at the same volume. Here you can see the waveforms of Born To Die, Norman, Candy Necklace and Say So by Doja Cat. See how Say So is just a solid bar of black? If Candy Necklace wanted to explode into a loud outro, it could, but Say So is entirely a loud explosion and can’t go anywhere else. It also means that in the context of an album, if Lana wants one song to get louder than all the rest as part of the emotional trajectory of the album (Grandfather), she is able to do that. In comparison to any given pop music right now, Lana’s will sound quiet and muffled because it hasn’t had the Father, the Son AND the Holy Spirit compressed and EQ’d out of it  :wub:

candy necklace is just a bad example tbh it's just a quiet song overall, there's louder songs on the album i'm sure if you compare their waveforms it'll look more like born to die or say so

3 hours ago, barttttender said:

it's like she's embarrassed of her own sound so she made the album as quiet as possible. Played it at the gym after doja cat - barely heard anything with FULL VOLUME ON and HUGE SPEAKERS.

this is neither an album for a gym nor an album to be mixed with doja cat :scoff:

On 4/10/2023 at 10:22 PM, Louise said:

Song of the year, or record of the year nominee, will be Candy Necklace. A&W is critic fav, but not mainstream enough for that award. The subject matter is too edgy . . . Also, does anyone on here agree it is telling mainly about white girl problems? Not that they are not universal . . . Black child abuse is incestuous rape by an uncle . . . or, being prostituted out by family members.

. . . .

But some are saying in Part II, Lana is claiming her freedom and living it up. Because it sends mixed messages that Lana has historically had pinned on her, which are not true, I think [A&W] shouldn't be a contender.

Candy Necklace, a collab with John Batiste, already a Grammy fav, might be a suitable nominee. I think all the songs on Ocean Boulevard album could be . . . Candy Necklace is just as worthy as any of them.

After what I said Snoop posted on his IG stories love for Candy Necklace! Look at the effort with the heart shape cutouts of Pharoah Snoop, and the "Love you." It is insider appreciation . . . from a colleague, a fellow musician! Makes a material award like a grammy seem dingy and hollow!

FtnGvyBWAAM44ZS?format=jpg&name=large

6 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

In Interview Mag she says

“I know from Echo Park, like Drew Erickson, Benji, and Zach Dawes. Later, I found out they were composing for all these great people like Weyes Blood and Father John Misty and Pink Floyd.”

Which producer worked with Pink Floyd??? I can’t find anything about it on the internet lol

Jonathan Wilson

3 hours ago, honey dew said:

Thanx! Thanx for collecting and posting the audio tracks! It is as though the louder tracks lack texture . . . not a treat to the ears as much as Candy Necklace for its variety of ups and downs . .  . Appreciate this kind of discussion. I have one ongoing with a musician friend who is high up in tech understanding. There aren't many musicians I would bother to make a case for a quieter production around their vocals, because I do not listen to the pop girlies, and I wear hearing protection whenever I go out, and quit gyms to protect my ears! It isn't for me to say their offerings . . .  because to each his own . . . Here is a little live fan cam of Ann Wilson which the image is out of focus, but for once the band around her dials back to allow the star, Ann's voice, to mine the gorgeousness out of Simon Garfunkel's folk song, American Tune, which melody I recognized from a documentary about Haydn's Emperor Quartet came from Serbian folk song! The piano is too loud, but because it is only the piano which is competition to Ann's voice and louder and softer in parts, finally you could hear the artistry, the inflections.

14 hours ago, Americen Whore said:

With all the things that happened this year we still have :

• a new magazine in 10 days 
  • Two new songs in less than two months
  • Music video with her dad
  • Say yes to heaven ( new version )
  • Possible tour
  • Music videos with beautiful visuals 

this era ATE :krylie:

two new songs in less than 2 month?

27 minutes ago, Louise said:

Thanx! Thanx for collecting and posting the audio tracks! It is as though the louder tracks lack texture . . . not a treat to the ears as much as Candy Necklace for its variety of ups and downs . .  . Appreciate this kind of discussion. I have one ongoing with a musician friend who is high up in tech understanding. There aren't many musicians I would bother to make a case for a quieter production around their vocals, because I do not listen to the pop girlies, and I wear hearing protection whenever I go out, and quit gyms to protect my ears! It isn't for me to say their offerings . . .  because to each his own . . . Here is a little live fan cam of Ann Wilson which the image is out of focus, but for once the band around her dials back to allow the star, Ann's voice, to mine the gorgeousness out of Simon Garfunkel's folk song, American Tune, which melody I recognized from a documentary about Haydn's Emperor Quartet came from Serbian folk song! The piano is too loud, but because it is only the piano which is competition to Ann's voice and louder and softer in parts, finally you could hear the artistry, the inflections.

Oh you sound just like me :wave2: I’ve never heard of Ann Wilson but that was GORGEOUS!

Imagine if Lana was still compressing like the other pop girlies - we would have never gotten that barely-audible and absolutely brilliant whispered “Texas” in Paris, Texas :wub: