Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

9 minutes ago, honey dew said:

Oh you sound just like me :wave2: I’ve never heard of Ann Wilson but that was GORGEOUS!

Imagine if Lana was still compressing like the other pop girlies - we would have never gotten that barely-audible and absolutely brilliant whispered “Texas” in Paris, Texas :wub: 

Thank you thank you thank you! Oldster introduced newster with a remark of appreciation meant something to the oldster - thanx.

Lana has grabbed and has achieved a new direction in production . . . It had to be. Lana's voice is her instrument. It's hers.

1 hour ago, xlanax said:

I want a full psychedelic piano album produced by Jon Batiste, its interlude always leaves speechless

An album in the vain of CN and its interlude sounds like a dream tbh  :wowcry:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

According to my last.fm stats, Ocean Blvd has already become my most listened to album in the past year after only 3 weeks since its release. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

"Think by the third of March, I was cracked open

Finally, the ground was cold, they wouldn't open

Brought by the sunlight of the spirit to pour into me

There's a name for it in japanese, it's kintsugi"

what a beautiful way to represent the healing of her grief, tying in with the kintsugi concept, allowing herself to break so that the cracks in her spirit can heal with gold :wowcry: 

One thing I’ve noticed about this album is the most popular songs are the ones that aren’t personal. Like Fishtail, Peppers, Taco Truck, the second half of A&W, Candy Necklace, and Paris, Texas all remind me of songs from her first four albums, where they were a lot less specific and personal

28 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

One thing I’ve noticed about this album is the most popular songs are the ones that aren’t personal. Like Fishtail, Peppers, Taco Truck, the second half of A&W, Candy Necklace, and Paris, Texas all remind me of songs from her first four albums, where they were a lot less specific and personal

The masses aren't putting songs about death, institutions, suicide, heaven, and existentialism on loop. Thanks for this absolutely brilliant insight. 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

11 hours ago, barttttender said:

it's like she's embarrassed of her own sound so she made the album as quiet as possible. Played it at the gym after doja cat - barely heard anything with FULL VOLUME ON and HUGE SPEAKERS.

Right. It's a matter of crispness and especially clarity, not a issue of volume or loudness.  

10 hours ago, honey dew said:

I just want to put my 2 cents in about the quietness/muffled sound of the album. This is because Lana has gradually stopped competing in what’s called “the loudness war” in music, which is where pop music is made to be as loud as possible without distorting. This is great for streaming and shopping mall speakers and stuff because any song from any musician can play in sequence and it will all be at the same volume. Here you can see the waveforms of Born To Die, Norman, Candy Necklace and Say So by Doja Cat. See how Say So is just a solid bar of black? If Candy Necklace wanted to explode into a loud outro, it could, but Say So is entirely a loud explosion and can’t go anywhere else. It also means that in the context of an album, if Lana wants one song to get louder than all the rest as part of the emotional trajectory of the album (Grandfather), she is able to do that. In comparison to any given pop music right now, Lana’s will sound quiet and muffled because it hasn’t had the Father, the Son AND the Holy Spirit compressed and EQ’d out of it  :wub:

Screen-Shot-2023-04-15-at-2-23-23-pm.png

just another example of lana making music just for the sake of making music and art instead of just doing what's mainstream and what will "sell" :wub: a true artist

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

3 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

It’s not this album. Most popular songs are broad and relatable to a large audience. Also not Lana specific but in general lol. When she starts naming her family in a song, you know immediately that it’ll tank. She should’ve name dropped herself more in her own songs tbh. It would still be really personal but also recognizable to a lot of people. That’s why “This Is What Makes Us Girls” ate because of the “Lana” mention.

And Elvis, James Dean, Angelina = icons that people know >>>> Chucky :oprah3:. It would’ve smashed if it were Chucky the doll, but it’s not..so :oprah3:

2 hours ago, Honeyyoung said:

"Think by the third of March, I was cracked open

Finally, the ground was cold, they wouldn't open

Brought by the sunlight of the spirit to pour into me

There's a name for it in japanese, it's kintsugi"

what a beautiful way to represent the healing of her grief, tying in with the kintsugi concept, allowing herself to break so that the cracks in her spirit can heal with gold :wowcry: 

This line really reminds me of Fine China

“The Earth shattered, the sky opened”

If you think about it, fine china being shattered and stuck together is basically Kintsugi. Instead of trying to protect her china (herself) from being broken, she now realises that breaking and healing is a natural part of life and often things become more beautiful after this process. Not sure if anyone’s made this connection before :krylie:

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

58 minutes ago, Cherry Blossom said:

This line really reminds me of Fine China

“The Earth shattered, the sky opened”

If you think about it, fine china being shattered and stuck together is basically Kintsugi. Instead of trying to protect her china (herself) from being broken, she now realises that breaking and healing is a natural part of life and often things become more beautiful after this process. Not sure if anyone’s made this connection before :krylie:

:trisha:

8 hours ago, hippo said:

two new songs in less than 2 month?

collabs with the nepo daddy :wub:

Happy as the moonshine