Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

6 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

FJM also performing there right after Bleachers. If only they performed Let the Light In :defeated:

It has to be! Someone, please livestream it.

63daf707669a116854c2d8f1_HW22-DigitalDis

Lovely! Okay. I will step away from the computer, now. Supposed to be, Lana Del Rey and Beck guest performed on Bleachers' set. FJM comes on in an hour - I might check twitter if there is a guest appearance by Lana!

Fty_VXKXgAAZ0zQ?format=jpg&name=large

Stepping away, now. Wow this is gorgeous! One last one . .  .

i actually can't get over how the song ocean blvd constantly gets better with every listen
relistening to certain tracks, my "official" ranking is OBLITERATED
every song is 10/10, u cant argue, goodnight

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

On 4/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, honey dew said:

I just want to put my 2 cents in about the quietness/muffled sound of the album. This is because Lana has gradually stopped competing in what’s called “the loudness war” in music, which is where pop music is made to be as loud as possible without distorting. This is great for streaming and shopping mall speakers and stuff because any song from any musician can play in sequence and it will all be at the same volume. Here you can see the waveforms of Born To Die, Norman, Candy Necklace and Say So by Doja Cat. See how Say So is just a solid bar of black? If Candy Necklace wanted to explode into a loud outro, it could, but Say So is entirely a loud explosion and can’t go anywhere else. It also means that in the context of an album, if Lana wants one song to get louder than all the rest as part of the emotional trajectory of the album (Grandfather), she is able to do that. In comparison to any given pop music right now, Lana’s will sound quiet and muffled because it hasn’t had the Father, the Son AND the Holy Spirit compressed and EQ’d out of it  :wub:

Screen-Shot-2023-04-15-at-2-23-23-pm.png

Obsessed with your comment! Here is a 2nd live of today's Margaret performance, and I'll review it, below:

The song starts a minute in, so I timestamped it there to skip the intro. Thanx to Lana Del Rey and Jack Antonoff for the care they take setting up the audio, to give the audience a treat of a softer song, where the voices do not get lost under the buzz of plugged in instruments giving off an electronic hum . . . From the two youtube videos shot from different sides of the stage way back, Lana & Jack's voices are clear, showcasing Lana's "three octave captivating and highly emotive [voice], ranging from high notes in a girlish timbre to jazzy ornaments in her lower gesture." - Wikipedia Lana Del Rey Voice and timbre. I am discovering Jack as an artist, and appreciate his vocal here, esp. when he sings "run away like your head is on fiiiiirrrreee" and his voice trills as it trails off on his verse, he's showcasing his softer vocals.

Lana did a cute lyric change up 2nd chorus, from "like Hollywood and me" to "like Charleston and me."

In the crescendo, Lana sings:

The diamond on your ring
The soul that you bring to the table
The one that makes me sing
In a minor key
'Cause when you know, you know
When you know, you know

it's beautiful, no flaws. Lana hits those notes. What a moment!

Followed by two soft saxophones - Evan Smith & Zem Audu - for subtle and soft receding horns . . .

They slayed!

And the audience - so cute - barely could contain themselves as Lana's fans do at her concerts, cheering in appreciation, then quieting themselves so they can take in the soft notes!

Thank you to

alibye77 &

Lauren Garner for the first two youtube videos.

Note about Lana's appearance: in still photos Lana looks amazing, but the videos show how the dress makes sense with the breeze blowing the ruffles and her hair worn hippie-style, long and straight.

On 4/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, Harry Nilsson said:

this is neither an album for a gym nor an album to be mixed with doja cat :scoff:

nor an album to be played loudly regardless if you really want to and you paid for it, apparently. "Did you know that there's an album that's as quiet as crickets?" 

Omg I can't believe National Geographic leaked the title from an Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd Outtake:wat:

ufQAMd3_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

12 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

My boyfriend tested positive for covid, it don't matter
We've been kissing, so whatever he has, I have

lXJHg0C.gif

this line hits different now that both my boyfriend and i have been sick af for the past week with pink eye and coughing and fever that we gave each other x

image.png