Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

I personally LOVE "taco truck x vb" I think the way the two blend is so satisfying to my ears and with the:

Get High 

Drop Acid 

Never Die

Not Tonight 

Lake Placid

... it reminds me of the "live fast die young in RIDE monologue" 

and this album has so many little "moments" or "allusions" to her past work, so it isn't really lazy in my opinion. in fact its more noticeable to us as a fan than just a general public ear. 

AND when I first heard it I was like wondering why ... and several possibilities abound of course so someone should ask her..... but 

- I wonder if maybe whoever the lover was during NFR (the Chase actor guy? mystery San Fran man no one photographed her with she mentioned in rolling stone?) maybe she wrote Venice Bitch around that man & this new "reworked version" is her sort of reclaiming it in a way ?? regardless its an iconic 9 min song... so 

because it is such an iconic song, maybe its her way of musically speaking to the old lover like "nah, this is no longer about you... im not jealous of YOU & not jealous of not having Your Love" ? idk I sorta saw it as reclaiming the song in a way  like her stabbing metaphorically her old lover from his vanity of knowing the song was about him and it's not about him anymore. she's moved on. gone scorched earth? met a new boyfriend at a taco truck??? 

ending the album more upbeat here and lighter/trappier/fun and getting high in the garden being a baddie vibe idk it just makes sense to me.... of course theres a million other reasons and only lana knows 

this album is interesting for me personally because at first i was completely obsessed, but now, after having it for about two full weeks, i still love the songs but as an album as a whole it doesn't seem to have as much sticking power, and has made me appreciate chemtrails & blue banisters even more than i did (never dissed them, always been a truther, but even more so now)

the title track is top 10 in her discography for me, i literally have no words for how much emotion and subtlety there is in every single note it contains. never in her discography have i seen such a beautiful instrumental build-up. the melody and the lyrics are magnificent. it’s one of her strongest songs and to me it’s really unique because of the vocals, the backup singers and the lyrics… i mean even after her vocals end and there’s only the instrumental, it’s still so strong and moving…

5 hours ago, lanabanana11 said:

this album is interesting for me personally because at first i was completely obsessed, but now, after having it for about two full weeks, i still love the songs but as an album as a whole it doesn't seem to have as much sticking power, and has made me appreciate chemtrails & blue banisters even more than i did (never dissed them, always been a truther, but even more so now)

That's interesting because for me it was exactly the opposite :trisha:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

20 hours ago, Vertimus said:

'Fishtail' has grown on me a lot lately. I feel that 'Taco Truck' had the potential to be the Top Tier Classic Lana, if only it had continued another 3 minutes before segueing into VB.  

I like 'Margaret,' but would have preferred Lana's speaking part be eliminated. Between it and Jack's verse, the song breaks up too much for my taste. 

Could we get an actual ranking from you?

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

i feel like taco truck x vb is a lot more enjoyable if you think of it kind of like a venice bitch part 2.  like its not meant to improve or replace venice bitch or be a lazy cop-out but like a continuation, a sequel song. idk if that's how she meant it to be but its always how i've seen it. especially with how after all her soul searching and wanderlust of not just this album but her past few albums (i'd say since violet), she's returned to home venice, california (like she mentions in paris, texas) so like our little venice bitch is back. 

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

I absolutely love the little storytelling in Paris Texas. How she takes us to this journey with her until we get to Venice California. :legend:

8 hours ago, paradisetropico said:

I personally LOVE "taco truck x vb" I think the way the two blend is so satisfying to my ears and with the:

Get High 

Drop Acid 

Never Die

Not Tonight 

Lake Placid

... it reminds me of the "live fast die young in RIDE monologue" 

I never thought about this:oprah2:

3 hours ago, Blackestday x CN said:

Could we get an actual ranking from you?

Thanks for asking. I can only give my preferences at the moment, not any kind of objective ranking, and since I don't care a great deal for 'Fingertips,' and I've never warmed, in the least, to the title track, my ranking is bound to be unpopular. I'm not trying to offend anyone's taste. These represent the general interest I have in the separate tracks when playing the record while out walking. 

I don't care for the mastering on the record at all. Part of the reason I like 'Fishtail' is because it's clearer and crisper in sound to my ears. I'm skipping the interludes.  

Let the Light In 

Taco Truck x VB 

Paris, Texas

Sweet (somewhat redundant maybe, but impossible not to like) 

Grandfather

Kintsugi

Fishtail 

The Grants

Margaret  (it would be so much better without the spoken part, which, in addition to Jack's singing, breaks up the song too much in the second half)

Candy Necklace 

Peppers 

A&W 

Fingertips 

There's A Tunnel Under (I never listen to it) 

Although Ocean Blvd is her longest album, it feels somewhat shorter than Lust for Life. 
Ocean Blvd is really well-balanced with the tracklist and it switches up at the right moment. Heck, Fingertips and Kintsugi almost feel like they are 4 minutes. Same with A&W. the only track that should have been shortened is the Judas Smith interlude. But all of the other songs go by so fast. 

1 hour ago, wilting daisy said:

i feel like taco truck x vb is a lot more enjoyable if you think of it kind of like a venice bitch part 2.  like its not meant to improve or replace venice bitch or be a lazy cop-out but like a continuation, a sequel song. idk if that's how she meant it to be but its always how i've seen it. especially with how after all her soul searching and wanderlust of not just this album but her past few albums (i'd say since violet), she's returned to home venice, california (like she mentions in paris, texas) so like our little venice bitch is back. 

For me, to see it that way would be a stretch, especially after songs like 'LMLYLAW' and 'Arcadia,' in which she sings about leaving Los Angeles.

We don't know if such lyrics actually mean anything in her real life or feelings, and, if so, may only be momentary. How many houses does she have in Los Angeles? Several, correct? It's not easy to get up and leave permanently when you've got that kind of luxury real estate. And she may want to move for a few years elsewhere while keeping the Southern California home(s).  

I certainly don't see taco Truck x VB as a replacement for or an attempt to improve the NFR! version, because nothing will match or replace the original in all its extended glory.