Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

How do you not connect with the songs when they have lines like "fuck me till I love myself", "there's a certain point the body can't come back from // that''s how the light gets in", "It's not about havin' someone to love me anymore, this is the experience of bein' an American Whore", or just the sentiment of taking your sister's first born child's memories with you to the afterlife, like these are all extremely evocative. And then fingertips is like a diary.

The only song that is hard to relate to is candy necklace since it is so abstract.

i know there's lots of talk of old lana vs new lana and whwre we're going from dykttatuob so this is my two cents on the matter. sorry if this gets a littlw off topic, but i think it ties in. tbh i don't see a clear line between new and old lana, even lots of fans can't decide whether old lana ended with uv, hm, lfl, or nfr, etc. personally i see less of an old vs new line and more like multiple stages. stage 1 would be aka-btd-uv, stage 2 hm-lfl-nfr, and stage 3 cotcc-bb-dykttatuob, which would mean with the next album we'd be heading into stage 4. i could go into what i think ties each stage togethwr but i don't wanna get too off topic and i'm sure most of you can kind of see the shared themes and mindsets of the album within each stage (but i can go further into it in another thread if anyone is interested). not that these albums are all the same, they are  quite different, but they do seem to exist in the same sort of frame of mind or seasons of life. that being said, i feel like dykttatuob closed the stage that began with cotcc and we'll be onto something new with the next record. i'm not sure where we're going from here, but i feel like there once again will be a shift.

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

31 minutes ago, mlittle11 said:

this is exactly what we all said about COCC and BB :biblio: OB is a step in the right direction though

I don't think COTCC and BB were transitional albums. Instead, Ocean Blvd defined and summed up everything she's done from NFR! to now. All the references there are to her own music from this period. Just as LFL did.

I like to believe that:

BTD/Paradise
UV
HM
LFL

NFR!
COTCC
BB
Ocean Blvd

25 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I don't necessarily feel a disconnect per se, but I initially really liked most songs, but now three weeks later I'm only really listening to the four songs I really care for (A&W, Candy Necklace, Grandfather, LTLI).

I think it's a beautiful album nonetheless, but I don't feel the same level of addiction or interest that I may have felt with past releases. I just think she's long overdue for an actual switch up with the production team, we've heard new names on this record and I hope that she has interest in working with these people for the next era (Nick Waterhouse, Zach Dawes, Ian Doerr, Mike Hermosa).

This is a good point. Her best and most popular albums are considered to be BTD, UV, HM and NFR.. and one thing they all have in common is that she was working with fully new producers for each of these albums. They were a clean slate. 

And once she worked with Rick again we got LFL which was arguably not her best work. And once she worked with Jack again we got COCC and BB (universally hated albums lol). And then we have OB which to me is still very dominated by Jack in terms of sound and style.

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

A&W to Judah to Candy Necklace is some of the most Lynchian work she's ever done. She channeled him so hard with this run. Blue Velvet indeed, the seediness of what's below a pristine surface. A young girl cartwheeling, the preacher preaching, and the Candy man himself. But the girl is in danger, the preacher is shouting, and the the Candy necklaces don't taste right.

49 minutes ago, The Stargirl Pinky said:

I’m kinda shook at how often I find myself intentionally seeking out Fingertips and on top of that in the weirdest moments: when I want to concentrate, when I do cardio, when I get ready, etc. The hold this song has on me is unreal especially because I really didn’t like it at first listen but it really is top tier girls I hope you all see that soon if you don’t already :oprah:

I'm actually having the same experience. I thought I would rarely listen to Fingertips just because it's so much to take in, but that hasn't been the case at all. I like listening to it while I work a lot for some reason. I haven't intentionally put it on, but I get lost in it and actually enjoy sitting at my computer coding while listening to this entire album. 

♬  ♥  .。.    .。.   ♥  ♬

There are violets in your eyes
There are guns that blaze around you
There are roses in between my thighs
And a fire that surrounds you

8 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

This is a good point. Her best and most popular albums are considered to be BTD, UV, HM and NFR.. and one thing they all have in common is that she was working with fully new producers for each of these albums. They were a clean slate. 

And once she worked with Rick again we got LFL which was arguably not her best work. And once she worked with Jack again we got COCC and BB (universally hated albums lol). And then we have OB which to me is still very dominated by Jack in terms of sound and style.

1- i'd say outside of lanaboards, hm isn't a very popular album, at least not in the same way btd, uv, & nfr are

2- lana didn't work with jack at all on bb. it was like half drew erickson and half zach dawes who were both new for her

3- cotcc & bb are only really hated on lanaboards

5 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

1- i'd say outside of lanaboards, hm isn't a very popular album, at least not in the same way btd, uv, & nfr are

2- lana didn't work with jack at all on bb. it was like half drew erickson and half zach dawes who were both new for her

I think you may want to venture out of LanaBoards-Honeymoon is generally appreciated and called her best work out there.

As for Chemtrails and Blue Banisters, they are often referred to as her ''worst'', ''most boring'' work on Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Tik Tok and the likes. 

1 minute ago, HighbytheSea said:

Fingertips is just the best, we know this. And if you don't know it, you will soon! Some real Goddess of the Broken Moon serenade business with that majestic song

Definitely one the best songs she's ever written

34 minutes ago, Creyk said:

How do you not connect with the songs when they have lines like "fuck me till I love myself", "there's a certain point the body can't come back from // that''s how the light gets in", "It's not about havin' someone to love me anymore, this is the experience of bein' an American Whore", or just the sentiment of taking your sister's first born child's memories with you to the afterlife, like these are all extremely evocative. And then fingertips is like a diary.

The only song that is hard to relate to is candy necklace since it is so abstract.

A lot of people do love themselves in a healthy manner, and thus do not relate to that line, though they can understand it. 

3 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I think you may want to venture out of LanaBoards-Honeymoon is generally appreciated and called her best work out there.

As for Chemtrails and Blue Banisters, they are often referred to as her ''worst'', ''most boring'' work on Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Tik Tok and the likes. 

i'm talking about outside of lanaboards. i'm definitely not referring to the opinions on lanaboards. i'm generally referring to twitter and real life. its mostly hardcore fans who call honeymoon her best and call chemtrails and blue banisters boring. honeymoon is definitely underrated outside of lana's hardcore fandom.

16 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

I wouldn't say honeymoon isn't very popular in the fandom. I'd say if anything it's a classic to any fan, definitely a defining moment in her career.

You're right about BB though, i forgot that Jack didn't really touch that record, but we still got COCC which was just his b sides from NFR. Which still follows the narrative of a cursed album whenever she works with the same producer again (sorry lfl and cocc) :um3:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

6 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I wouldn't say honeymoon isn't very popular in the fandom. I'd say if anything it's a classic to any fan, definitely a defining moment in her career.

You're right about BB though, i forgot that Jack didn't really touch that record, but we still got COCC which was just his b sides from NFR. Which still follows the narrative of a cursed album whenever she works with the same producer again (sorry lfl and cocc) :um3:

Her music sounds how ever she wants it to. It really makes no difference who she works with. If she didn't like what came from the sessions she would remake the song with somebody else. She worked with Mike Dean for Wildflower Wildfire and didn't release anything else with his involvement, didn't that prove its all up to her?