Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

32 minutes ago, HighbytheSea said:

A&W to Judah to Candy Necklace is some of the most Lynchian work she's ever done. She channeled him so hard with this run. Blue Velvet indeed, the seedinessΒ of what's below a pristine surface. A young girl cartwheeling, the preacher preaching, and the Candy man himself. But the girl is in danger, the preacher is shouting, and the the Candy necklaces don't taste right.

best description ever.

tumblr_p1a7ssNcup1w268obo4_250.pngtumblr_p1a7ssNcup1w268obo1_250.png

1 minute ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

You're right about BB though, i forgot that Jack didn't really touch that record, but we still got COCC which was just his b sides from NFR. Which still follows the narrative of a cursed album whenever she works with the same producer again (sorry lfl and cocc)Β :um3:

i see this said a lot and it is false! the title track, tulsa jesus freak, and not all who wander are lost are at least partially about sean and refer to the midwest and she didn't start dating him til after nfr came out. and she only became friends with nikki lane and joan baez on the nfr tour, so breaking up slowly & dance til we die can't be nfr outtakes either. and she only started covering for free on the nfr tour and first performed it with zella & weyes at the hollywood bowl during the tour so another song that is not an nfr outtake. then we know yosemite is actually a lfl outtake. which then only leaves white dress, let me love you like a woman, wild at heart, and dark but just a game up in the air (idk if other people have more info on these but i don't).Β 

Β 

also cotcc & bb very clearly have different narratives but that's another story.

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

3 minutes ago, Chemtrail said:

Her music sounds how ever she wants it to. It really makes no difference who she works with, if she didn't like what came from the sessions she would remake the song with somebody else. She worked with Mike Dean for Wildflower Wildfire and didn't release anything else with his involvement, didn't that prove its all up to her?

I'm not saying I don't think it's up to her, i'm saying that maybe comfort is the biggest killer for her inspiration. WorkingΒ with new producers brought us the albums that defined her career

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Β 

4 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I'm not saying I don't think it's up to her, i'm saying that maybe comfort is the biggest killer for her inspiration. WorkingΒ with new producers brought us the albums that defined her career

I think she decides how the production will sound with each song she writes and they're all extremely fitting always, so if there aren't any tracks on some albums that don't differ from the sound of the rest, or she doesn't experiment as much vocally or musically then she just wasn't feeling that way. I just see the albums as chapters at this point and some people enjoy her writing about her past or fantasies rather than her reality right now because it doesn't suit what they'd like to dream about or want to live but it's crazy to project that onto her when the songwriting is this incredible. It's not for everybody but nothing is.

6 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

Well Ocean Blvd is definitely a career-defining album.

19 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

i see this said a lot and it is false! the title track, tulsa jesus freak, and not all who wander are lost are at least partially about sean and refer to the midwest and she didn't start dating him til after nfr came out. and she only became friends with nikki lane and joan baez on the nfr tour, so breaking up slowly & dance til we die can't be nfr outtakes either. and she only started covering for free on the nfr tour and first performed it with zella & weyes at the hollywood bowl during the tour so another song that is not an nfr outtake. then we know yosemite is actually a lfl outtake. which then only leaves white dress, let me love you like a woman, wild at heart, and dark but just a game up in the air (idk if other people have more info on these but i don't).Β 

Β 

also cotcc & bb very clearly have different narratives but that's another story.

when i say b sides im sorta taking the piss because of how little jackΒ changed theΒ sound for that album, they may not beΒ actualΒ Β b sides but they sure as hell sound like them (for the most part).. i mean he literally reused an entire instrumental and they called it wild at heart lol

Β 

Β anyway this is just my opinion so please dont throw eggs at meΒ 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Β 

I think it’s interesting that people who normally don’t likeΒ Lana that much seem to like this album more than her previous work. It’s even her second highest rated album by users on sites like RYM and AOTY. I would think that this album is one of her most challenging ones to get through for casual listeners.Β 

3 minutes ago, George Parasol said:

Well Ocean Blvd is definitely a career-defining album.

Unlikely butΒ early to tell-Β it’s definitely not making the noise BTD, UV or NFR did but I can see it being a cult classic like honeymoon for some fansΒ 

28 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I wouldn't say honeymoon isn't very popular in the fandom. I'd say if anything it's a classic to any fan, definitely a defining moment in her career.

You're right about BB though, i forgot that Jack didn't really touch that record, but we still got COCC which was just his b sides from NFR. Which still follows the narrative of a cursed album whenever she works with the same producer again (sorry lfl and cocc)Β :um3:

Honeymoon is definitely a lot more well received now off this fandom- I remember defending it to the hill to members on here who called it dull and her worst yetΒ 

3 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

when i say b sides im sorta taking the piss because of how little he changed theΒ sound for that album, they may not beΒ actualΒ Β b sides but they sure as hell sound like them (for the most part).. i mean he literally reused an entire instrumental and they called it wild at heart lol

Β 

Β anyway this is just my opinion so please dont throw eggs at meΒ 

i mean nfr and cotcc sound totally different to me (other than theΒ how to disappear/wild at heart instrumental but the songs themselves are very different so its all good)Β but you're entitled to your opinion even if you're mostly wrongΒ :eyeroll3:

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

I definitely agree with what you’ve guys said about fingertips.Β I didn’t think that itΒ would become one of my favorites on initial listen.Β :crai:

Β 

Β 

π‘³π’Šπ’‡π’† π’Šπ’” π’ƒπ’†π’‚π’–π’•π’Šπ’‡π’–π’ 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’šπ’π’– 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

4 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Unlikely butΒ early to tell-Β it’s definitely not making the noise BTD, UV or NFR did but I can see it being a cult classic like honeymoon for some fansΒ 

This is short term thinking though. It doesn't matter how popular something was at the time. People will appreciate it later if they don't now because its all great music.

5 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Because those 3 albums had insane promo with MVS, radio interviews and social media presence.Β 

Β 

Ocean is doing very good on the charts too. 3 weeks in top 30. With the titty vinyl, sales will increase more when they're shipped.Β  She's just getting started with the promo.Β 

Β 

Norman had the push from DCMA too.

Honestly, is there any objective way to tell what her best album is, or which is most loved, most valued, most underrated, most overpraised, most decried?Β 

We know that NFR! received the most critical praise from the music establishment, but other than that, there's just a cacophony of Stan and fan voices shouting,Β arguing and disagreeing all over the internet. And that includes us here.Β 

2 minutes ago, Chemtrail said:

I want youtuber Aaron back :crossed:

same... im mad that he had to remove all of his content

Β 

2 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

same... im mad that he had to remove all of his content

Me too. He isn't coming back and we know that now so we let the wind hit us in our face :crossed: If you know you know

I had to slightly joke about this because I honestly miss him

Just now, Vertimus said:

Honestly, is there any objective way to tell what her best album is, or which is most loved, most valued, most underrated, most overpraised, most decried?Β 

We know that NFR! received the most critical praise from the music establishment, but other than that, there's just a cacophony of Stan and fan voices shouting,Β arguing and disagreeing all over the internet. And that includes us here.Β 

Also a so-called wrong or right opinion doesn’t exist . It’s all so subjectiveΒ . It’sΒ nice though toΒ have a space to discuss and share different opinions like LB and to see how everyone interpretes the new music.

Β 

Β 

π‘³π’Šπ’‡π’† π’Šπ’” π’ƒπ’†π’‚π’–π’•π’Šπ’‡π’–π’ 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’šπ’π’– 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆