Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

i had today wonderful dream about Candy Necklace MV. it was nothing like she teased (hollywood stars concept). in MV she met man who was serial killer on the side and organ & body parts collector. Lana joined to him and they killed woman together. later he took from Lana "worser" body parts and sew the better ones. during funeral/kind of spirtual satanistic event she started feeling worse and she run away. he found her at bathroom and killed her by axe and MV ended by killed Lana in sheets in bathtub where water turned into red. this was epic.:krylie:

i'm adding that there was strange footage, random scenes but still cohensive and this made video more creppier and eerie.

NFR is indie rock with surf rock elements here and there. It’s quite cohesive and sunny-sounding throughout.

Chemtrails leans heavily on indie folk and its sonority suggests a more autumnal aesthetic.

That the GP still manages to affirm these two albums sound the exact same is completely mind boggling to me. Their themes are different and the soundscapes diverge to different genres (although sharing similar sensibilities) but people took Jack Antonoff producing both albums and WAH sampling HTD and ran with it. 

IMG-7960.jpg

Lots of talk about how we are connecting with this album emotionally. Honestly i relate to a majority of her songs, theres always at least a couple songs that i feel help give me lots of insight on what im going through in my life. From chemtrails to now, i have really resonated with most of the songs, especially this album. Maybe its the cancer sign in us lol. A lot of subjects on this album were very dark, theres a lot of loss in this album. But where it wraps up makes me feel that theres victory, and self realization. I dont know what i would do without lanas music

37 minutes ago, LifeOnMars said:

I think it’s interesting that people who normally don’t like Lana that much seem to like this album more than her previous work. It’s even her second highest rated album by users on sites like RYM and AOTY. I would think that this album is one of her most challenging ones to get through for casual listeners. 

You see, i also feel this album has a strange timeless vibe to it, more so than her other recent albums. And its experimental enough (a&w for example) that the people are gagged! My friend who used to hate lana said her other friends had a listening party and she said she really enjoyed it! If her music videos are as exciting as the lead up to them has been and with all these festivals, i feel she will reallly skyrocket!

37 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

i mean nfr and cotcc sound totally different to me (other than the how to disappear/wild at heart instrumental but the songs themselves are very different so its all good) but you're entitled to your opinion even if you're mostly wrong :eyeroll3:

Nah @Terrence Loves Me has a point, she said that when Lana starts working with a different producer, the sound/vibe of the album is completely different from the album before and she is right. It's not to say that any albums are bad, it's just that NFR & Chemtrails sound alike, not a carbon copy of, but you can tell that the songs were recorded in the same sessions (except for Yosemite). As for Ocean Blvd, the album sounds like the natural evolution of Blue Banisters, NFR & Chemtrails (with some tracks featuring trap beats), again, it's not to say that any of it is bad, but the similarities & samples speak for themselves.

It's a valid perspective. :oprah3:

1 hour ago, wilting daisy said:

i know there's lots of talk of old lana vs new lana and whwre we're going from dykttatuob so this is my two cents on the matter. sorry if this gets a littlw off topic, but i think it ties in. tbh i don't see a clear line between new and old lana, even lots of fans can't decide whether old lana ended with uv, hm, lfl, or nfr, etc. personally i see less of an old vs new line and more like multiple stages. stage 1 would be aka-btd-uv, stage 2 hm-lfl-nfr, and stage 3 cotcc-bb-dykttatuob, which would mean with the next album we'd be heading into stage 4. i could go into what i think ties each stage togethwr but i don't wanna get too off topic and i'm sure most of you can kind of see the shared themes and mindsets of the album within each stage (but i can go further into it in another thread if anyone is interested). not that these albums are all the same, they are  quite different, but they do seem to exist in the same sort of frame of mind or seasons of life. that being said, i feel like dykttatuob closed the stage that began with cotcc and we'll be onto something new with the next record. i'm not sure where we're going from here, but i feel like there once again will be a shift.

i never participate in old vs new convo because i love all her music but i cant believe she's been in the game long enough to to even have her fans discuss over old and new. legend things.

1 minute ago, West Coast said:

Nah @Terrence Loves Me has a point, she said that when Lana starts working with a different producer, the sound/vibe of the album is completely different from the album before and she is right. It's not to say that any albums are bad, it's just that NFR & Chemtrails sound alike, not a carbon copy of, but you can tell that the songs were recorded in the same sessions (except for Yosemite). Ocean Blvd, sounds like the natural evolution of Blue Banisters, NFR & Chemtrails (with some tracks featuring trap beats), again, it's not to say that any of it is bad, but the similarities & samples speak for themselves.

i already pointed out that most of the songs couldn't have been recorded in the same sessions as nfr bc they're attached to relationships/friendships that she didn't have during the recording of nfr. but even still, i don't find nfr & chemtrails similar at all. i feel like people who say that aren't paying attention to the music at all.

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

4 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

i already pointed out that most of the songs couldn't have been recorded in the same sessions as nfr bc they're attached to relationships/friendships that she didn't have during the recording of nfr. but even still, i don't find nfr & chemtrails similar at all. i feel like people who say that aren't paying attention to the music at all.

Lana and Jack both said that they never really stopped recording music together, so the timeline of the so-called NFR-Chemtrails sessions is a bit shady anyway.

But judging by the How to disappear/Wild at Heart situation and Lana reworking DBJAG into the NFR title track, it's not a foregone conclusion to assume that she recorded it all back to back, or that the recording process of both albums wasn't linear.

17 minutes ago, Offtotheraces01 said:

Lots of talk about how we are connecting with this album emotionally. Honestly i relate to a majority of her songs, theres always at least a couple songs that i feel help give me lots of insight on what im going through in my life. From chemtrails to now, i have really resonated with most of the songs, especially this album. Maybe its the cancer sign in us lol. A lot of subjects on this album were very dark, theres a lot of loss in this album. But where it wraps up makes me feel that theres victory, and self realization. I dont know what i would do without lanas music

for me, since btd, i've kinda noticed how her music themes from, well simply put, a lot of life themes. personally, nfr was where things connected on a deeper level, so up to chemtrails' searching, to blue banister's healing to now this album's kind of resurgence and release, it's honestly been so beautifully cathartic. the album just came out but the sound, the atmosphere, the themes, it's all just so promising. 

as a pisces (hey water siiiigns), this album's lyricism jumping and swinging between sentimental to more sensual feels on point to personally, a piscean's kind of duality, complexity and abstractness. the sea themes too, just perfect. 

UV/Honeymoon

Just now, West Coast said:

Lana and Jack both said that they never really stopped recording music together, so the timeline of the so-called NFR-Chemtrails sessions is a bit shady anyway.

But judging by the How to disappear/Wild at Heart situation and Lana reworking DBJAG into the NFR title track, it's not a foregone conclusion that she recorded it all back to back, or that the recording process of both albums wasn't linear.

most of lana's albums she starts wroting and recording as soon as the previous album is done, sometimes at the same time. there's overlap with all her albums. and yes, wild at heart & dark but just a game are probably some of the earliest songs she had for chemtrails and were probably done at the same time or right after nfr was recorded, but as i already said, all her albums have some overlap, but most songs couldn't have even been fully written til she was on the nfr tour or after anyway. 

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

3 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

most of lana's albums she starts wroting and recording as soon as the previous album is done, sometimes at the same time. there's overlap with all her albums. and yes, wild at heart & dark but just a game are probably some of the earliest songs she had for chemtrails and were probably done at the same time or right after nfr was recorded, but as i already said, all her albums have some overlap, but most songs couldn't have even been fully written til she was on the nfr tour or after anyway. 

Well let's agree to disagree then, because no one can speak with certitude about the recording timeline of those two albums. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjimmycocoapuff said:

listening to a&w for like the 500th time, it still goes so hard??? lana put magic in this song

she did not lie when she said "I got magic in my hands"

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

47 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

NFR is indie rock with surf rock elements here and there. It’s quite cohesive and sunny-sounding throughout.

Chemtrails leans heavily on indie folk and its sonority suggests a more autumnal aesthetic.

That the GP still manages to affirm these two albums sound the exact same is completely mind boggling to me. Their themes are different and the soundscapes diverge to different genres (although sharing similar sensibilities) but people took Jack Antonoff producing both albums and WAH sampling HTD and ran with it. 

They have shared stems and dozens of recycled melodies- the overall sound is more folk driven but yeah I’d argue they are siblings 

1 hour ago, palemoonbaby said:

i had today wonderful dream about Candy Necklace MV. it was nothing like she teased (hollywood stars concept). in MV she met man who was serial killer on the side and organ & body parts collector. Lana joined to him and they killed woman together. later he took from Lana "worser" body parts and sew the better ones. during funeral/kind of spirtual satanistic event she started feeling worse and she run away. he found her at bathroom and killed her by axe and MV ended by killed Lana in sheets in bathtub where water turned into red. this was epic.

HELP  :thumb3:  loving the creativity i think this would eat