Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

1 hour ago, fierybkn said:

For me it was more the case on Blue Banisters, especially on the songs Beautiful and Arcadia, her high notes really annoy me on those ones. I have no issue with the ones on Ocean Blvd though, the last "God if you're near me..." on Grandfather is one of my favorite moments on the record. 

But, on both the '3 white butterflies...', why does her voice sound so thin and strained? To me it sounds as if she either can't find the note or can't hit it, or it's just a very bad choice of notes, period, for her voice. 

9 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

But, on both the '3 white butterflies...', why does her voice sound so thin and strained? To me it sounds as if she either can't find the note or can't hit it, or it's just a very bad choice of notes, period, for her voice. 

because butterflies are thin and fine, she can't use a heavy voice here ... I think her choices are all well thought out and serve a purpose

14 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

because butterflies are thin and fine, she can't use a heavy voice here ... I think her choices are all well thought out and serve the purpose

But it's not a matter of a 'heavy' voice, just one without strain. To me, it sounds very awkward and it jumps out at me every time. I can hit that note better than she does. 

1 hour ago, Vertimus said:

But it's not a matter of a 'heavy' voice, just one without strain. To me, it sounds very awkward and it jumps out at me every time. I can hit that note better than she does. 

Completely opposite, to me it sounds relaxed and calming 

5 hours ago, Vertimus said:

For the first time on any LDR album, I hear a shrill quality in Lana's voice, especially on 'Grandfather,' 'The Grants,' and 'A&W,' but also a little on 'Fingertips.'

Does anyone else hear this? We're all such audiophiles here, I'm constantly amazed at the number of things different members are able to pick out, from annoying sounds to clicks and different instruments in the arrangements. 

Classic female vocalists like Laura Nyro and Kate Bush also occasionally had a shrill quality to their vocals--but Nyro sang in the loose, 'live' Amy Winehouse style, which made it tolerable, but when Bush goes shrill, as she does on several of her later albums ('The Sensual World' and 'The Red Shoes'), to me it's unlistenable

I don’t think I’d call it shrill but it’s what I would describe as “thin” where in the songs up until around 2017 (for the most part) showed more depth in her voice. 

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

5 hours ago, Vertimus said:

For the first time on any LDR album, I hear a shrill quality in Lana's voice, especially on 'Grandfather,' 'The Grants,' and 'A&W,' but also a little on 'Fingertips.'

Does anyone else hear this? We're all such audiophiles here, I'm constantly amazed at the number of things different members are able to pick out, from annoying sounds to clicks and different instruments in the arrangements. 

Classic female vocalists like Laura Nyro and Kate Bush also occasionally had a shrill quality to their vocals--but Nyro sang in the loose, 'live' Amy Winehouse style, which made it tolerable, but when Bush goes shrill, as she does on several of her later albums ('The Sensual World' and 'The Red Shoes'), to me it's unlistenable

No

faSE.gif

She is coming for that Daesang 

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

Just now, evalionisameme said:

Ben is fuming somewhere 

wait this sounds too real its scary

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing