Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

10 hours ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

does anyone else think fishtail sounds like a demo, especially during the second verse.

the more i adjust to this record the more i think the last 3 songs just shouldn't be there.. they're bonus tracks in my mind :true:

or maybe they should have been european exlusives like flipside and is this happiness (is that what they were?)

I’m really glad she included them on the tracklist then…

if the « standard album »‘s last song had been Margaret, LB would be bitching to hell and back that OB is boring and « BB 2.0 » 

Spoiler

:pls:

1 hour ago, shadesofyayo said:

did the lyrics to all the songs on the album disappear on everyones spotify or just me?

may be related to the fact that Spotify was down for some time yesterday, hopefully the lyrics come back

11 hours ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

does anyone else think fishtail sounds like a demo, especially during the second verse.

the more i adjust to this record the more i think the last 3 songs just shouldn't be there.. they're bonus tracks in my mind :true:

or maybe they should have been european exlusives like flipside and is this happiness (is that what they were?)

Disgusting.

15 hours ago, Vertimus said:

But it's not a matter of a 'heavy' voice, just one without strain. To me, it sounds very awkward and it jumps out at me every time. I can hit that note better than she does. 

:lmao: Okay tbis is iconic 

Just another day where I'm blown away by Fingertips. Every other track on this album seems like a non-event to me compared to it. It's the saddest song I've ever heard. A masterpiece.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1375807715-35.

4 hours ago, shadesofyayo said:

did the lyrics to all the songs on the album disappear on everyones spotify or just me?

maybe they realized they had lots of lyrics wrong and decided they'd look less stupid just removing the lyrics altogether 

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

Just now, ultrabanisters said:

what about the weightlifting tease you did lets talk about THAT tumblr_mbjd9uAypY1riniogo1_1280.jpg

it wasn't a tease what's not clicking, i was very high and watching NFR interviews 

7 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

I think her voice is much fuller now than what it used to be- especially the higher notes.

Her voice was thin in BTD/UV. Currently he mix voice is so beautiful and angelic, well rounded . Much more clarity and resonance  in her higher register(compare WD vs PT). Her lower register isn't showcased as much as before.(yes it is present on OB but I wish it was highlighted more). I think it's mostly got to do with the compositions(maybe Rick had a more traditional structure with more lower notes)?

I was referring not to her voice overall, or her voice overall on 'OB,' but on certain songs, and on specific parts of those songs. So please don't misunderstand what I said or mistake the context. 

A lot of 'the problem' has to do with the recording, the production, and the mastering, though certainly not all of it. When I hear her straining and her voice going sharp, I can't agree that her voice sounds 'angelic' or particularly 'beautiful.' Overall, if I had to select one or more of her albums on which I thought her voice sounded best, OB would not be one of them. 

I don't think 'White Dress' is a good example to use, because clearly the vocals on that song are not standard or typical of her, and I don't think anyone knows why she decided to sing that song that way. 

It's too early to tell, but her voice may be in the process of genuinely changing, as many vocalists' voices do as the get older, and sometimes in a fairly short timeframe. 

she really knew what she was doing when she made that run of Kintsugi to Taco Truck :gclap::gclap:

honestly this is her best album since Honeymoon

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

3 hours ago, Vertimus said:

I was referring not to her voice overall, or her voice overall on 'OB,' but on certain songs, and on specific parts of those songs. So please don't misunderstand what I said or mistake the context. 

A lot of 'the problem' has to do with the recording, the production, and the mastering, though certainly not all of it. When I hear her straining and her voice going sharp, I can't agree that her voice sounds 'angelic' or particularly 'beautiful.' Overall, if I had to select one or more of her albums on which I thought her voice sounded best, OB would not be one of them. 

I don't think 'White Dress' is a good example to use, because clearly the vocals on that song are not standard or typical of her, and I don't think anyone knows why she decided to sing that song that way. 

It's too early to tell, but her voice may be in the process of genuinely changing, as many vocalists' voices do as the get older, and sometimes in a fairly short timeframe. 

If anything, her voice has never sounded better and she strains so much less than she used to… on the « 3 white butterflies » part you were talking about earlier, her voice is thin and airy but it’s just the style she’s choosing to sing with, it has nothing to do with strain. Her 2012 MDM performances were strained as hell. Her technique has improved a lot since then, and her voice has matured, but it’s so much more colourful than before, and she uses it much better too. As much as I try to get your point of view on her voice, I just can’t understand it

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~