Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

3 hours ago, taco truck said:

Honestly I like most of the songs, but I just don’t find myself going back to the album besides A&W, Peppers, and Taco Truck. Tbh I think this is going to be an album that a year or so from now will finally click with me lol. I have just now been able to start to appreciate Chemtrails for what it is (though I do still think the second half drags), and I only like BB less as time goes on, but this album I do think I could start to really like. 

See this is the first album since NFR *but really L4L where my craving to put it on has grown. Chemtrails did give me needed peace during the pandemic, and it definitely got replayed to hell, same with Blue Banisters-but I think it's because they were there, they were what's new for her and I rarely play through other artists albums like her. Ocean I NEED to put on after a certain amount of time or my mood sours lol. I truly need to hear Paris Texas for brain recalculation. it's like the Violin to Frankensteins Monster-instantly calming and beautiful

Wait a minute... Dark Paradise just started to play in my head. "I'm lying in the ocean, singin' your song [...] But I wish I was dead (Dead like you)". Was she singing about Aaron Greene back then too? Or am I just doing some exercises in mental gymnastics?

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

1 hour ago, Beautiful Loser said:

Wait a minute... Dark Paradise just started to play in my head. "I'm lying in the ocean, singin' your song [...] But I wish I was dead (Dead like you)". Was she singing about Aaron Greene back then too? Or am I just doing some exercises in mental gymnastics?

no i noticed it too, and it just gives further evidence that aaron is k

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

I’m sorry but I just can’t take Fishtail seriously still..I’ve warmed up to its sound a bit but like..the lyrics are so random in the context of the album! Peppers and TT might be a bit unserious but Peppers at least is able to fit itself in with current topics like COVID with surfy California vibes and TT connects itself with Paris, Texas in a way. I see Peppers and TT as comic relief songs too in an otherwise heavy album while Fishtail just sounds awkward..For the most part I consider DYK a SoCal album (and at least Peppers and TT retain that sound), and her singing about ‘skipping rope in the Bayou’ is so random..like why randomly bring the Deep South in and never mention it again it’s perplexing :oprah3:

sgopYhV.gif

6 hours ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I’m sorry but I just can’t take Fishtail seriously still..I’ve warmed up to its sound a bit but like..the lyrics are so random in the context of the album! Peppers and TT might be a bit unserious but Peppers at least is able to fit itself in with current topics like COVID with surfy California vibes and TT connects itself with Paris, Texas in a way. I see Peppers and TT as comic relief songs too in an otherwise heavy album while Fishtail just sounds awkward..For the most part I consider DYK a SoCal album (and at least Peppers and TT retain that sound), and her singing about ‘skipping rope in the Bayou’ is so random..like why randomly bring the Deep South in and never mention it again it’s perplexing :oprah3:

in Paris, Texas she travels as far as Florence, Alabama and braiding the hair is connected to Peppers

i like the blend of imagery in fishtail. the swaying similar to how an aquatic creature can swim. aside from wanting mermaid imagery of some kind, i actually first envisioned fishtail eyeliner and seductiveness, but ref'ing the bayou, for me, goes in theme of murk, lack of movement, in contrast to swimming in riverbeds, whereas bayous might move less, are stiller, a lot can build up; to rivers, never really being the same river twice due to constant movement/ change/ adaptability. goes in theme of how the song's audience wanted her in a certain way when she was ready to progress and transform. 

the swinging and fine lining of nostalgia as something sweet being reflected on, versus getting stuck in it ties in well w the sway of it's melody and also parallels the concept of expectation and how that can cause dissonance in a relationship in how it's meant to be about the supporting of a relationship/ symbolism of a joining when it's supposed to be (at least imo) that things weathering around you/ the world/ external shouldn't shake something genuine and solid/ ie. the braiding of hair/ fortification and it's foundation. 

fortune cookie format, she sorta outgrew what made him attracted to her/ showed more of what he might've expected, and bc perhaps, he didn't really see her, or maybe even didn't want to, it reinforced her need to break things off cus they weren't/ no longer on the same page (wanted me sadder = be less of one's entirety of self). 

she chose herself, cus he didn't really choose her, but just what he wanted to see in her (further emphasized by .. softly into rain, ie meant little to nothing slipped softly into it) and ended up missing the mark/ seeing her entirely. 

UV/Honeymoon

17 hours ago, taco truck said:

Honestly I like most of the songs, but I just don’t find myself going back to the album besides A&W, Peppers, and Taco Truck. Tbh I think this is going to be an album that a year or so from now will finally click with me lol. I have just now been able to start to appreciate Chemtrails for what it is (though I do still think the second half drags), and I only like BB less as time goes on, but this album I do think I could start to really like. 

i mostly listen to ocean boulevard. Still the strongest track on the album and her strongest track since White Dress. Occasionally i'll play taco truck, let the light in, paris, texas, sweet, a&w and margaret.

i'm surprised that Grandfather really lost its power for me after a few listens. 

Also, I know I'll never play kintsugi, fingertips or the interludes again. feel like those tracks add nothing to the table except make the album feel more miserable and bloated. Wasn't surprised to see they're the least listened to on iTunes. They're way so boring.

I just miss a really great uptempo or full on rock girl track that i'd be obsessed with like i was with West Coast, Ride, Doin' Time, High by the Beach or Blue Jeans.

While I appreciate Antoniff, I kinda wish she explored working with Emil or Rick or Martin again and tried to make another hit song. Maybe another Weeknd track?

This is her third album without hits (I'll count Doin' Time as a hit) and I miss hearing Lana on the radio. Who wants The Grants and Candy Necklace as singles? Definitely not me, and most certainly not the general public.

Most of all, I want the fun Lana back! Lana if you're reading this, can we have another Serial Killer or Summertime Sadness please)? Cuz "baby, you've been bringing me down"...

No having any music videos has harmed the promotion and success of the album.  I don’t know what Lana and her team were thinking. Should have had three videos out by now. This not caring attitude is bizarre.  

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

1 hour ago, ChaoticLipster said:

No having any music videos has harmed the promotion and success of the album.  I don’t know what Lana and her team were thinking. Should have had three videos out by now. This not caring attitude is bizarre.  

Tbh tho- better no videos at all than the lazy Arcadia or LMLYLAW style videos.

Like, get a proper budget and give us one good MV serve like Born to Die, Ride, Shades of Cool, Young & Beautiful, National Anthem or Don't Call Me Angel. Those were like movies to me and perfectly complement the music.

The last OK video she had was Chemtrails and Doin' Time but even those were small budget and nowhere near as cinematic as the ones I mentioned.

I wonder if Interscope is struggling financially since Covid and generally in the streaming era.

If I were Lana (and Ben), I would've demanded two videos - a glamorous tragic sad one for Ocean Boulevard, and a slutty crazy one for A&W. With a good treatment and director, 100 mil views guaranteed.

Instead, we'll get a cheap Candy Necklace mv, which is doing poorly on streaming already and we'll end up with a 5 mill view count at best - if the video even comes out.

Songs I listen to the most:

Fishtail-Peppers-Taco Truck x VB (always gotta listen to them together lol)

Kintsugi

Candy Necklace

Let the Light In

Paris, Texas

Margaret 

A lot of the time I just start at LTLI and let it run from there, its probably my favorite part of the album, although Kintsugi has been stuck in my head for like two weeks now lol

3 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I would like to agree but I think financally speaking it's better for them not to release any MV and and just countless vinyl variants lol

1 hour ago, fishtails said:

Songs I listen to the most:

Fishtail-Peppers-Taco Truck x VB (always gotta listen to them together lol)

SAME. I always start with those three songs. They're laced with something. :trisha:

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."