Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

1 minute ago, UltraviolentJack said:

Do we think we’re getting live versions of these songs? the NFR tour only had 3-4 NFR songs in the set at any given time but I can’t see her doing her same old setlist this year. 

i see her doing a&w maybe as like an interlude (the jimmy jimmy part) and then hopefully like candy necklace and peppers

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

1 hour ago, Chemtrail said:

Fingertips is draining but you're fine casually listening to Kintsugi? :delish:

Honestly, yes. I think it's because Kintsugi has more of a typical song structure, is more of a typical piano ballad, and just overall feels gentler and sweeter sonically if that makes sense? It makes it easier to tune out the lyrics and just enjoy the melody.

On Fingertips, I think the unusual, wandering structure along with the vocals and strings just makes it harder to ignore and have it on in the background. It feels more demanding to me.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

1 hour ago, Venice Jesus Whore said:

Honestly, yes. I think it's because Kintsugi has more of a typical song structure, is more of a typical piano ballad, and just overall feels gentler and sweeter sonically if that makes sense? It makes it easier to tune out the lyrics and just enjoy the melody.

On Fingertips, I think the unusual, wandering structure along with the vocals and strings just makes it harder to ignore and have it on in the background. It feels more demanding to me.

See this insane to me. Kintsugi is SO UNIVERSAL, and so bare-it does nothing but rip old wounds open. Fingertips is just major sympathy (or empathy if you've been in her shoes) and it's so specifically her story that I don't feel WRECKED, cus it didn't happen to me. But everyone has had to say goodbye to someone, or didn't get the chance-so Kintsugi is just shatteringly sad. I don't find it therapeutic, it absolutely is but to me the sadness overwhelms still. "Daddy i miss them" makes me ugly cry. Fingertips is gorgeous, serene, otherworldly (THESE are the strings ive been after from her), and more revealing than anything she's done (nasty wildflower Wildfire and its "instrumental" found dead in a deeeeep ditch). 

Fingertips supremacy I said what I said and I'll say it again. 

3 minutes ago, HighbytheSea said:

See this insane to me. Kintsugi is SO UNIVERSAL, and so bare-it does nothing but rip old wounds open. Fingertips is just major sympathy (or empathy if you've been in her shoes) and it's so specifically her story that I don't feel WRECKED, cus it didn't happen to me. But everyone has had to say goodbye to someone, or didn't get the chance-so Kintsugi is just shatteringly sad. I don't find it therapeutic, it absolutely is but to me the sadness overwhelms still. "Daddy i miss them" makes me ugly cry. Fingertips is gorgeous, serene, otherworldly (THESE are the strings ive been after from her), and more revealing than anything she's done (nasty wildflower Wildfire and its "instrumental" found dead in a deeeeep ditch). 

Fingertips supremacy I said what I said and I'll say it again. 

I find Kintsugi to be quite therapeutic, especially when she talks about letting your heart break to let the light in :bebe:

And also I'm not someone who cries very easily, so when I feel extremely upset, the song helps me cry

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

8 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

I find Kintsugi to be quite therapeutic, especially when she talks about letting your heart break to let the light in :bebe:

And also I'm not someone who cries very easily, so when I feel extremely upset, the song helps me cry

I totally get needing outside help to cry lol. When this album dropped my Papa wasn't doing great at all, and he's passed just yesterday. I avoided the song cus I didn't want to "manifest" anything and now that he's gone it's just too raw. But I am excited to revisit it as he's in no more pain, playing golf with his brothers up there I'm sure, and I got to say goodbye-but yeah this hoe song is TOO MUTHAFUGGIN SAD for now. Also sorry tmi lolol God bless the internet

Just now, HighbytheSea said:

I totally get needing outside help to cry. When this album dropped my Papa wasn't doing great at all, and he's passed just yesterday. I avoided the song cus I didn't want to "manifest" anything and now that he's gone it's just too raw. But I am excited to revisit it as he's in no more pain, playing golf with his brothers up there I'm sure, and I got to say goodbye-but yeah this hoe song is TOO MUTHAFUGGIN SAD for now. Also sorry tmi lolol God bless the internet

I'm really sorry for your loss. I totally understand why you'd take a break from the song (or anything related) 

I know it's stupid to say that I hope you're doing okay, but I hope your grieving is not as painful and that eventually you can heal 🩷

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

4 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

I'm really sorry for your loss. I totally understand why you'd take a break from the song (or anything related) 

I know it's stupid to say that I hope you're doing okay, but I hope your grieving is not as painful and that eventually you can heal 🩷

Honestly, to be at his side was everything, i feel peace. I wasn't there when he finally went, but if I hadn't gone that day I'd be in shambles. Shockingly, besides Kintsugi, this album is majorly helping me. Followed Lana since I saw a thumbnail of her in a flower crown on a throne on iTunes main page for BTD video and being 31 now (i know its not ancient, but I was like 18 when I first heard her) , getting older is accepting mortality, and that's something she really understands clearly in her own life. Thank God for this art

The Grants has to be her biggest grower ever lol

when it came out I jokinly called it The Yawns and now it's one of my favorites

her voice is so angelic, the lyrics and instruments are beautiful and it's works so well as an intro to this album

4 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

The Grants has to be her biggest grower ever lol

when it came out I jokinly called it The Yawns and now it's one of my favorites

her voice is so angelic, the lyrics and instruments are beautiful and it's works so well as an intro to this album

Those opening notes on the actual melody-its INSTANTLY like "oooh this gurl about to serve" so lush, slightly foreboding, forever glamourous.

On 4/27/2023 at 6:51 AM, barttttender said:

i mostly listen to ocean boulevard. Still the strongest track on the album and her strongest track since White Dress. Occasionally i'll play taco truck, let the light in, paris, texas, sweet, a&w and margaret.

i'm surprised that Grandfather really lost its power for me after a few listens. 

Also, I know I'll never play kintsugi, fingertips or the interludes again. feel like those tracks add nothing to the table except make the album feel more miserable and bloated. Wasn't surprised to see they're the least listened to on iTunes. They're way so boring.

I just miss a really great uptempo or full on rock girl track that i'd be obsessed with like i was with West Coast, Ride, Doin' Time, High by the Beach or Blue Jeans.

While I appreciate Antoniff, I kinda wish she explored working with Emil or Rick or Martin again and tried to make another hit song. Maybe another Weeknd track?

This is her third album without hits (I'll count Doin' Time as a hit) and I miss hearing Lana on the radio. Who wants The Grants and Candy Necklace as singles? Definitely not me, and most certainly not the general public.

Most of all, I want the fun Lana back! Lana if you're reading this, can we have another Serial Killer or Summertime Sadness please)? Cuz "baby, you've been bringing me down"...

I can relate to a lot of what you've said here--and what's largely missing on OB, but which was present on West Coast, Ride, Doin' Time, High by the Beach or Blue Jeans, is tension, contrast, especially musically.

I also miss the lighter, funner side of Lana, which we haven't heard in ages except for 'Wild At Heart,' though 'Groupie Love' was a sad attempt at an Old School lighter song, I think, and 'Margaret' is as well, but it should have either had Jack's verse or Lana's spoken part, but not both (the spoken part adds nothing IMO, I would ace it). 

It's the sophisticated Lana I also miss, and the sophisticated and sometimes archly clever lyricist of 'Hollywood's Dead,' 'Hollywood,' 'Radio,' 'Gods & Monsters,' 'Cola,' etc. 

I respect her right to write and record whatever she wants and go in whatever direction she likes, but with OB, I feel I'm losing touch with her for the first time since BTD.  

Woke up imagining a world where we got a music video for Taco Truck x VB, like two videos in 1. The Venice Bitch visualizer was cool, but I’d love to see a full video alongside Taco. Sizzling summer vibes 

58 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I can relate to a lot of what you've said here--and what's largely missing on OB, but which was present on West Coast, Ride, Doin' Time, High by the Beach or Blue Jeans, is tension, contrast, especially musically.

I also miss the lighter, funner side of Lana, which we haven't heard in ages except for 'Wild At Heart,' though 'Groupie Love' was a sad attempt at an Old School lighter song, I think, and 'Margaret' is as well, but it should have either had Jack's verse or Lana's spoken part, but not both (the spoken part adds nothing IMO, I would ace it). 

It's the sophisticated Lana I also miss, and the sophisticated and sometimes archly clever lyricist of 'Hollywood's Dead,' 'Hollywood,' 'Radio,' 'Gods & Monsters,' 'Cola,' etc. 

I respect her right to write and record whatever she wants and go in whatever direction she likes, but with OB, I feel I'm losing touch with her for the first time since BTD.  

agreed 💯. The lyricism genius of Hollywood, G&M and other tracks you mentioned is in short supply. Ocean Boulevard comes close and maybe A&W and Paris, Texas. (i took a trip to Paris... Texas)

As for fun Lana, she insists on piano and she insists on minor key more and more. She's clearly given up on the idea of making a hit song. Even Doin' Time (her most radio friendly track in 4 years) was more of a lucky accident (soundtrack work, and she wasn't involved much in the production because I remember her saying that when she first heard it it "actually sounded good"). 

It all comes down to Antonoff and her other producers. They clearly let her have what she wants and call all the shots and don't find the fun side of Lana in the process. Maybe she got more depressed (which would explain both the music and the, ughm, weight gain), but I just wish she'd give us uptempo song ala Hollywood, High by the Beach, etc. Seeing her not make Billboard's top 100 for 3 years (except with collabs with lessor artists) is just sad.

And it's not like she can't do these things. Sometimes it's just about speeding things up and changing up the production. (See the cover of Chemtrails by that girl band). Summertime Sadness is really a ballad at heart making as a pop song. And also, this is the same woman who gave us National Anthem, Radio, Off to the Races, Blue Jeans, High by the Beach, Doin' Time, Serial Killer,  etc. etc. She CAN make pop songs we can sing and even dance to. Like, instead of two interludes and a voice note memo" turned into a song, she could have done another cover with upbeat production). With her talents and Jack (who produced Anti-hero and Bejeweled), it would take them a god-damn week)

Disagree on Groupie Love though. I love that song.

On 4/27/2023 at 12:51 PM, barttttender said:

While I appreciate Antoniff, I kinda wish she explored working with Emil or Rick or Martin again and tried to make another hit song. Maybe another Weeknd track?

This is her third album without hits

Who wants The Grants and Candy Necklace as singles? Definitely not me, and most certainly not the general public.

3 hours ago, barttttender said:

Maybe she got more depressed (which would explain both the music and the, ughm, weight gain)

I just wish she'd give us uptempo song

Seeing her not make Billboard's top 100 for 3 years (except with collabs with lessor artists) is just sad.

She CAN make pop songs we can sing and even dance to.

I felt myself losing brain cells reading this. It really doesn't get much more shallow and superfical than this.