Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

A lot of members here talk a lot about 'album cohesion' and its importance to them, so I'm wondering how they feel about 'album cohesion' on OC.

Some of the songs fit together musically and/or thematically (especially the 'sweet' songs,' which I call the 'sweet suite'), while others only fit together thematically (like 'A&W' and 'Candy Necklace'). 'Fingertips' and 'Kintsugi' go well together because they have similar structures. 

Taken as a whole, though, I can't mesh 'LTLI' with 'A&W' in terms of mood, theme, or music, and certainly 'Margaret,' one of the sweet songs, and 'A&W' don't mesh, nor do 'Margaret' and 'Peppers.' 

'Paris, Texas,' perhaps suitably, is out there in the wilderness on its own. 

Since 'cohesion' or 'cohesiveness' are not important to me, I'm not personally bothered. How does everyone else feel? 

13 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

A lot of members here talk a lot about 'album cohesion' and its importance to them, so I'm wondering how they feel about 'album cohesion' on OC.

Some of the songs fit together musically and/or thematically (especially the 'sweet' songs,' which I call the 'sweet suite'), while others only fit together thematically (like 'A&W' and 'Candy Necklace'). 'Fingertips' and 'Kintsugi' go well together because they have similar structures. 

Taken as a whole, though, I can't mesh 'LTLI' with 'A&W' in terms of mood, theme, or music, and certainly 'Margaret,' one of the sweet songs, and 'A&W' don't mesh, nor do 'Margaret' and 'Peppers.' 

Since 'cohesion' or 'cohesiveness' are not important to me, I'm not personally bothered. How does everyone else feel? 

There is definitely some variety but for me the tracklist is doing a really good job.  It all feels like one  journey & that it all belongs on one album:true:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boulevard said:

There is definitely some variety but for me the tracklist is doing a really good job.  It all feels like one  journey & that it all belongs on one album:true:

4 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

I personally don't think the album is cohesive.

LTLI, I've been listening to it a lot and what strikes me is how much it jumps around stylistically; 'Candy Necklace,' 'Margaret,' 'Peppers,' 'Paris, Tx,' and 'LTLI' don't sound to me as if they come from the same album, which, as I said, is okay with me. Nor do I get any sort of 'overall message' or mood from the album, also no problem. I'm listening to it as a collection of single songs or favorite songs among the track list. 

OB, I'd like to have the experience of being able to see it that way, hear it that way. 

23 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I would say it has cohesive parts, with the longest from Kintsugi to Margaret. But all in all it's not cohesive, the last three songs and especially A&W can't be more different to the rest.

3 minutes ago, Good Intentions said:

I would say it has cohesive parts, with the longest from Kintsugi to Margaret. But all in all it's not cohesive, the last three songs and especially A&W can't be more different to the rest.

Full agree. Thanks. 

Also, I still notice an ominous silence here around the meaning and/or interpretations of 'A&W.'

7 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

LTLI, I've been listening to it a lot and what strikes me is how much it jumps around stylistically; 'Candy Necklace,' 'Margaret,' 'Peppers,' 'Paris, Tx,' and 'LTLI' don't sound to me as if they come from the same album, which, as I said, is okay with me. Nor do I get any sort of 'overall message' or mood from the album, also no problem. I'm listening to it as a collection of single songs or favorite songs among the track list. 

OB, I'd like to have the experience of being able to see it that way, hear it that way. 

I think the overall message in the album is within Kintsugi where she says "that's how the light gets in", you have to go through pain to have cracks, and through those cracks light can get in and you can heal. She sings Fingertips right after saying this line, where she talks about how she is reborn from the attempted s* at the ocean floor and became the "goddess" she is today. I personally think the last three songs do not serve well for this darkness to light journey (even though they are uptempo songs, they do not convey this message thematically). 

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

33 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

It’s not one of her most cohesive works imo. UV, HM, and COCC are top 3 when it comes to cohesiveness. But Ocean Blvd is definitely better than LFL and BB… like imagine playing Heroin after Tomorrow Never Came, or even worse Dealer after Violet for Roses:toofunny: a hot mess

5 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

I think the overall message in the album is within Kintsugi where she says "that's how the light gets in", you have to go through pain to have cracks, and through those cracks light can get in and you can heal. She sings Fingertips right after saying this line, where she talks about how she is reborn from the attempted s* at the ocean floor and became the "goddess" she is today. I personally think the last three songs do not serve well for this darkness to light journey (even though they are uptempo songs, they do not convey this message thematically). 

Agreed. What can we take from 'Peppers' except that it's a bop or an attempt at one? Personally, I think it succeeds. 'Taco Truck' has the 'cynical cool' of "pass me my vape, I'm feeling sick, I need to take a puff, imagine if we actually gave a fuck, wouldn't that be something to talk about for us?" and "blood on my feet on the street." I love it but doesn't fit in with the kintsugi theme even when it moves into 'VB.' 

Since Leonard Cohen came up with the 'there's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in' lyrics on his album 'The Future' in 1992, though the concept of kintsugi no doubt predated that by centuries, well, I assume Lana embraced the concept, and her partial use of his lyrics might be another 'classic album/song tribute' like her references to 'Hotel California,' 'Lay, Lady, Lay,' and Cohen's own 'I'm Your Man.' 

1 hour ago, HighbytheSea said:

Thats what her lower register does, it intimidates. Her drawl is deadly, so plainspoken you just know she means to fuck someone up, especially with A&W

Gosh I want more of it. It’s so beautiful 

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐