Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

43 minutes ago, Prettywhenyoudye said:

i’m not familiar with the details / difference between a song being mastered vs unmastered. can someone plz explain :)

a song is unmastered for example if it contains some unwanted background noises like the sneeze in a&w (but here they kept it ;-) )

2 hours ago, Prettywhenyoudye said:

i’m not familiar with the details / difference between a song being mastered vs unmastered. can someone plz explain :)

After the mixing is done , comes the mastering , think of it as the final EQ settings . Most of the times a master is better for the ears and everything is balanced but at other times ( taco truck x VB ) the unmastered versions sounds  uncompressed with more rich details . 

I know it’s been discussed to death but I refuse to believe the official lyrics to A&W are 

God's a charlatan, don't look back, babe
Puts the shower on while he calls me

It just doesn’t flow right or make sense. To me, she saying what she sang in that car video but did a better job of censoring unlike Fingertips

10 minutes ago, Candy Necklace said:

I know it’s been discussed to death but I refuse to believe the official lyrics to A&W are 

It just doesn’t flow right or make sense. To me, she saying what she sang in that car video but did a better job of censoring unlike Fingertips

She’s def singing what she sang in that tiktok, she just took out the word cop.

qfrWuBl.png

3 hours ago, Candy Necklace said:

It's the shhh she used to censor "cop" that makes it sound like "God's a charlatan" but yeah the lyrics are the ones on the car video 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, ShadesOfViolence said:

WHY DID IT EAT SO FUCKN MUCH???? AHAHHAAHAHHA:kum:

the second I heard her voice I let out a solid "what the fuck" to my audience of two cats 

𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚒𝚐 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎, 𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚢𝚕𝚟𝚒𝚊 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚑

So, many weeks have past - how's everyone feeling about the record?

I must say, I was at first a bit disappointed with the album's tempo and the fact that it doesn't have a bona fide hit. I do miss the fun Lana of Doin' Time and High by the Beach. 

But then after some has passed, I realize just how unique this record is and how touchingly simple and beautiful a lot of these songs are...

The title track

Paris, Texas

Let the Light in

Margaret 

Grandfather 

Sweet

The Grants...

They're just such beautiful songs! So simple and so beautiful, and no one else could have written them. 

And then we still have Candy Necklace, AW, Taco Truck, Peppers to add some diversity and edge to the record.

I will never be a fan of the interludes (been skipping them since day 1) nor Fingertips and Kintsugi, which are too boring to me. 

But on the whole, I'd call this her best record since Norman, and a massive improvement of Blue Banisters. Definitely prefer it to BB Chemtrails, Violet and Honeymoon.

How does everyone else feel?

a thing i found so profoundly beautiful about this record's how she's very much consoled/healed herself from facets of experiences that she used to sing about. 

chemtrails, for missteps and facing buried hurt
blue banisters, the healing of expectations/ projection, similar to ultraviolence's rage 

norman rockwell personally, felt like a comeback album that dealt and embodied a careless society, that also reflected her dismissed care and how she felt the need to recover and regain her sense of own self. 

where honeymoon and lust for life were fixated more about herself and of self, and felt like meta albums of the self, fast forward to this album and we see the woman acknowledging all the feelings she gets, and what more, the very raw and tender expressions of her operating troubles. and instead of translating them in an avoidant way, she envelops them into herself toward painful resolution and healing. 

blue banisters, personally, felt like a culmination of ultraviolence's starting war cry, in succeeded tone, and subject matter. 
norman was the catalyst towards healing of generational trauma, 
and this record, for me, feels like yes, the overall culmination of her career (similar to lust for life's bookmarking of that time), feels like a more wholesomely realized born to die, veined from honeymoon's strong sense of self, and assured identity. 

she opens the album w floodgate tracks, the grants & the title track 
the core of self expressed nature in sweet 
AW where she starts her fun and expression of relief to judah's interlude, to then candy necklace's resolution and epiphany
to batiste's interlude of chaotic ecstasy 
which we then finally get to the core of what matters much more to her, her truer values 

the guilt in fingertips hits hard to paris texas' message of preservation 
grandfather's consoling to finally the regaining of self as the album progresses to the point of confident play in the more lighthearted tracks. 

truly a tunnel w her channeling thru all these memories and experiences, to come back out being a more fulfilled and accomplished self. 

UV/Honeymoon