Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

2 hours ago, Break Me Down said:

did Lana post something teasing Grandfather lyrics long before the album was released or am i just imagining that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/lanadelrey/comments/rcu1cb/lanas_post_about_her_grandmother_passing/

She posted "3 white butterflies to know you're near" as a caption back in 2021 but I don't think she was teasing anything, she just later reused it.

43 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lanadelrey/comments/rcu1cb/lanas_post_about_her_grandmother_passing/

She posted "3 white butterflies to know you're near" as a caption back in 2021 but I don't think she was teasing anything, she just later reused it.

so the butterflies relate to this pearl necklace on pic 6, didn't know that

I was thinking about the pre pre release era of OB in the midst of everything that has happened lately, and I then remember that I still have so questions that I didn’t get quite answered. Perhaps I just missed something.

Am I the only one who recalls us trying to figure out what DNC stood for? We were pretty sure it was for Del Norte County after her photo shoot on that beach when she announced LDR9. She didn’t mention Del Norte County, in any of her songs right? How far has she teased something, could this be for a future album?? I also remember insiders saying the album would have foggy California beaches vibes (which I personally don’t think it has) were they saying that because of the photo shoot? Could it be for the future?

Waist Deep In Icy Waves was an instagram caption she used to one of the photos in one of those foggy California beach photos. Back then we thought it could be a song or even album title. But nothing. Could this be for the future? I may be delusional but I would love to have an album named that.

I remember her having like an instagram story (I don’t quite remember exactly) called stars align, we swore it was connected to LDR9. It wasn’t. But I can’t help but think of Zodiac, which she probably scrapped from OB. Did she change her mind?

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

15 hours ago, Favorite Ever said:

I honestly have broad theories regarding the theme of the not belonging in the track, and how that might reflect off what she sees from popular society etc. 

That's really interesting - I never thought about it in the context of a superstars life but more about belonging in a “normal” sense. That actually makes so much more sense considering the context of the album and where the song sits on the tracklist.

14 hours ago, littleredpartydress said:

Title track has aged like such fine wine it is such a classic omg…

agreed. Her best and biggest song since the NFR album. An ldr classic and the highest peak of the album.

47 minutes ago, venicebitch said:

Title track gives me the vibe that for me only Video Games and Ride had so far. Top tier Lana for sure!

Oh, West Coast has that genius and magnitude too. Also, Venice Bitch.

So - now that this has been out for a rhile, I have to say that I really like it, but similarly to LFL and COCC, it is sn album I almost never listen to in its entirety, only picking out tracks or skipping songs - which is a shame, since I love a full album experience.

I mainly blame the Judah Smith interlude for it. It's something I don't feel like playing on a casual level, it's fartoo long to tolerate. Also, I feel like the tracklist feels a bit messy and clunky for everything after A&W. It just does not flow very well.

And I'm still really dad Taco Truck is not a full song. Really love her vocsls and the guitar on it

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

the last 4-5 tracks feel very classic Lana to me. idk how to make it make sense. It just feels right hearing those tracks and if i never heard them before i'd immediately think "oh this is definitely LDR"

the other songs on the album are great and very Lana too, but those specific ones just feel like i'm listening to a LDR album and they have such a specific sound to them that are so distinctly Lana. 

i wish we had more insight into how these were made. like demo versions and different changes that were made before release. there's mix variants of a couple tracks but i want to know what was or wasn't changed. we know Lana a lot of times hates certain instrumentals so it only makes me wonder what has been made during this Jack era (NFR to OB) that we weren't going to hear without a leak

leakers you know what to do. leak the demos!

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

1 hour ago, Thunder Revenant said:

So - now that this has been out for a rhile, I have to say that I really like it, but similarly to LFL and COCC, it is sn album I almost never listen to in its entirety, only picking out tracks or skipping songs - which is a shame, since I love a full album experience.

I mainly blame the Judah Smith interlude for it. It's something I don't feel like playing on a casual level, it's fartoo long to tolerate. Also, I feel like the tracklist feels a bit messy and clunky for everything after A&W. It just does not flow very well.

And I'm still really dad Taco Truck is not a full song. Really love her vocsls and the guitar on it

I feel totally opposite - OB feels like a complete package for me whereas LFL felt very random. But then again, I also love COCC except for the last track which I dont even have in my library bc it's really not much of a Lana song. I actually added SYTH to my OB playlist and the original Fingertips leaked version too. What I did was I replaced the interludes with the instrumental versions that leaked in the playlist and it makes just as much sense, if not more to me. I equate LFL with Blue Banisters but I feel like BB is a better Lana album than LFL

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

On 6/11/2023 at 4:57 AM, syrup amour said:

I was thinking about the pre pre release era of OB in the midst of everything that has happened lately, and I then remember that I still have so questions that I didn’t get quite answered. Perhaps I just missed something.

Am I the only one who recalls us trying to figure out what DNC stood for? We were pretty sure it was for Del Norte County after her photo shoot on that beach when she announced LDR9. She didn’t mention Del Norte County, in any of her songs right? How far has she teased something, could this be for a future album?? I also remember insiders saying the album would have foggy California beaches vibes (which I personally don’t think it has) were they saying that because of the photo shoot? Could it be for the future?

Waist Deep In Icy Waves was an instagram caption she used to one of the photos in one of those foggy California beach photos. Back then we thought it could be a song or even album title. But nothing. Could this be for the future? I may be delusional but I would love to have an album named that.

I remember her having like an instagram story (I don’t quite remember exactly) called stars align, we swore it was connected to LDR9. It wasn’t. But I can’t help but think of Zodiac, which she probably scrapped from OB. Did she change her mind?

There were probably more tracks scrapped before Zodiac. DNC sounds like it may be something referred to in Sweet - my theory is it might've been a demo version of Sweet where the title is Deep North Country ("In the sweet north country" the word sweet sounds like it could be replaced by deep.) I could be wrong here, but only time will tell once we hear demos someday.

Waist Deep in Icy Waves could've been a scrapped track or a poem from Behind The Iron Gates that got lost when her laptop was stolen. I have a theory that's where it belongs and why nothing has come from it. Maybe it's a new poem she's writing for a new poetry book, possibly. it could also have been a scrapped track, but we don't really know how much actually exists outside of Zodiac without people like @BlackoutZone or someone with actual tea. (maybe @111?)

giphy.gif

Weeks on Billboard 200

Born To Die — 487*
Paradise — 55
Ultraviolence — 53
NFR! — 25
Lust For Life — 22
Honeymoon — 17
DYKTTATUOB — 11*
COTCC, Blue Banisters — 5

The album has now outperformed Chemtrails & Blue Banisters combined. :flutter:

On 6/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, Thunder Revenant said:

Just make a playlist without the tracks that don't work for you. I've cut out the interludes and the two mega boring song (Kintsugi, Fingertips) and the album is an hour long and flows so much better. 

Those 4 songs have the lowest streams so I'm not the only one who's done this. Just really unnecessary tracks that should have been scrapped. It's strange ho she releases something like Judas Smith Interlude but songs like Serial Killer, Driving in Cars with Boys or Fine China were never released.