Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Just now, lanitataco said:

we are all the same 

FN3Bn7dVsAMk0T3.jpg

What website did you use for the image, it’s not loading for me :icant:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

I'm not a cryer and I start crying the second  I even think  about that fucking Kintsugi opening line. I honestly think it might be one of the most devastating songs I've ever heard, Lana or not

~*Contemplating at Costco the Santa Clarita fires.*~

MY THOUGHTS ON CANDY NECKLACE

candy necklace is amazing... i didn't expect for it to be my favorite off of the album, but i can already tell that it is going to mean a lot to me for years to come... candy necklace is a hard song to describe emotionally, it is rich, instrumentally, and at times, it sounds peaceful and contemplative, which makes the song feel hopeful, but it is obvious that it is a lot more dark and solemn, with mentions of suicidal ideation and being brought down by somebody or something, i feel like there's a lot of different words that could be used to describe the mood of this song... haunting, meandering, sardonic, reflective, introspective, confessional, relaxing... strangely blissful? something which i actually quite enjoy about this track is how abstract the song is, lyrically, i really can't seem to know for sure what exactly she's talking about or what the situation is at hand, but i do interpret it as being about a romantic connection with someone, as well as her emotions and struggles

candy necklace shares the same sardonic, meditative sound and mood that bartender has, although candy necklace is way more outwardly emotive, while bartender keeps it detached, whimsical, yet monotone, candy necklace isn't quite depressing or just simply sad, but it definitely isn't joyful either, or speaks about a connection with somebody that is normal, void of complicated emotions, or flaws, the chorus is probably my favorite part of the song, lana describes how the person she's singing about is restless/reckless, dances around like the ones who are young, restless/reckless, she feels obsessed with this person's attitude or way of life, or perhaps even their demeanor, she also mentions the "candy necklaces" which i'm not quite sure what the candy necklaces are supposed to represent, it could be a reference to something that only lana herself would get, it could be a metaphor for drugs (i personally don't think so) or it could be a metaphor for something more deep that, again, only lana herself would know, or we just have to interpret it for ourselves, it adds a subtle, yet effective element of devilish sweetness in a track which is pretty grounded on earth imagery-wise, candy necklace's chorus reminds me of lana's many past songs from earlier albums where it seems as though she embraces the darker, more honest side of her connections and the relationship she has with the one she loves, she's not afraid to face and to embrace the sides of her soul which are more dark, honest, and reflects the essences of the complicated, complexity of being somebody who has struggled or has had a complicated life, or is just a complicated person

once jon batiste starts singing/repeating "candy necklaces" alongside lana, a lot of the sad, dark emotion is stripped away from the track, and it feels more like meditative peace and a union between two who love each other, it is still emotive and rich, it certainly doesn't abruptly transform into a vapid, happy song, it still carries a sense of heaviness and melancholy, but it feels a lot more relaxed, i love this section of this song, it really does feel like a peaceful resolution of all of the emotion that was conveyed throughout the song, jon batiste has such a gorgeous, soothing voice, jon batiste and lana harmonize beautifully together, this section at the end of the song where they just simply repeat "candy necklaces" together highlight the sense of "obsession" that lana and/or the other person feels about the relationship, but it feels like they have been able to stay strong together and to let themselves relax and be free of pain, confusion, and struggle, because they have one another, and they aren't entirely afraid of being flawed, or being emotional, or not being perfect, because it actually makes them, and their bond, all the more stronger

Flower GIF - Flower - Discover & Share GIFs | Flowers, Beautiful night  images, Flowers gif

5 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

it could be a metaphor for drugs (i personally don't think so)

The song was recorded around August 2022, which is shortly after she broke up with Jack Donoghue who struggled with addiction, that's why I think it could be about drugs. It would also match with the reckless / restless / bringing me down lyrics.

1 minute ago, hotshot2am said:

The song was recorded around August 2022, which is shortly after she broke up with Jack Donoghue who struggled with addiction, that's why I think it could be about drugs. It would also match with the reckless / restless / bringing me down lyrics.

I can’t really figure out what candy necklace stands For outside of drugs/pills/addiction.  Or the overall allure of slipping into a dark place like that 

1 minute ago, hotshot2am said:

that could be the case, but i honestly feel like her relationship with jack was probably just a fling/nothing to serious? i guess we can't know for sure how she feels or how certain relationships impact her, but i don't believe this song is about jack, especially since it seems like she's still friends with him at least, she filmed that instagram story a couple months back of him jumping into a lake, and i believe there's a photo of him for some of the vinyl visuals

however, just because it isn't about jack donoghue, doesn't mean it isn't about drugs, it definitely seems like the topics of drugs or men who are involved with drugs go back quite far for her

Flower GIF - Flower - Discover & Share GIFs | Flowers, Beautiful night  images, Flowers gif

3 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

:flutter: gorgeous melodies through the album. 

It's such a singable album compared to BB/COCC/UV

had me at the first two but you're going to need to explain yourself with that last one

harajukuwrld-stan-twitter.gif 

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...

great reaction from zander stefani on youtube just dropped period yalls should check it out he only has like 600 subscribers but stays reacting soooo

.~~* i never meant to hurt you baby, it's so hard to be good, in this world where you do what you know you shouldn't *~~.

6 minutes ago, lanitataco said:

had me at the first two but you're going to need to explain yourself with that last one

harajukuwrld-stan-twitter.gif 

UV is my 3rd favorite album but it doesn't have a very traditional melodic structure. 

1 hour ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

I keep thinking, why is Lana promoting CN so much? It's not a bad song, but personally I don't see it as having much potential to go viral either, and why music video for that same song? A&W had the potential to be a hit and have an iconic music video and Lana let it die. :pout:

That song has such a dark aura about it. :pout:

As long as Chuck isn't directing any videos this time around, I'm fine with it. Notice she hasn't done any music video for this new album. :smokes:

12 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Daddy Jon Denton said the last three tracks feel like bonus tracks :air:

if you want to think about the album as just piano ballads then sure :oprah3:

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...