Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

3 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

Mine is fixed on Spotify. No clipping on Grandfather, Kintsugi, Fingertips and other songs.

Also no crackling? I don't have Spotify, I only reported it in the hope that her team fixes it on all platforms :hide:

okay so my immediate thoughts after my first listen: i feel like this album is so personal in a way and she kind of let loose with her lyricism, it feels very much like a stream of consciousness at times? which i like, it does give it an experimental edge. live for the production & melodies, its so quintessentially her but i feel like shes breaking boundaries and barriers within her own cosmos. 

its beautiful but there are some skips for me personally, maybe theyll grow on me idk. listening again now but without the grants, judah smith interlude, kintsugi, fingertips & margaret. 

also peppers is so incredibly good never knew i needed this collab. lana rly thrives on these more dancey tracks with a good collab. :party:

2 hours ago, Sportscruiser said:

Don’t know if someone shared this but this analysis is amazing and truly shines a light on this record as a concept record:

https://mobile.twitter.com/M0TH3RCR33P/status/1639410172002009089?t=dz3Z2TlgYbPNuWMYW11Kcw&s=19

I’m also really happy to see so many people online loving this record. My instagram feed is full of people stanning different songs, I haven’t seen that since NFR.

I see they mentioned she talks about a suicide attempt in Fingertips. Is this true? I didn’t realize that. Is it the verse where she talks about the neighbors pulling her up by her waist?

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

There's this part too....

Give me a mausoleum in Rhode Island with dad, grandma, grandpa, and Dave

Who hung himself real high

In the national park sky

It’s a shame, and I’m crying right now

I didn’t get to you, save you

If I take my life, find your astral body

Put it into my arms

Give you two seconds to cry

Take you home, I

I’ll give you a blanket

Your spirit can sit and watch TV by my side

10 hours ago, American Whore said:

wait wait wait, i feel like i missed something

Apparently, the video Lana is producing for 'Candy Necklace,' or has already produced, features her in 1940s style, in terms of hair and dress, and she has a large purple or purplish flower in her hair, which was the social trademark of Elizabeth Short, a young woman who came to Hollywood seeking fame, may or may not have gotten into a lot of trouble with the wrong people, and ended up murdered by party or parties still unknown, her remains tossed in a field in Hollywood, completely severed at the waist and with her mouth slit from ear to ear. As you can imagine, it shocked the late 1940s genteel America, which was starting to enjoy the post-war boom.

Everything is available on google, though I don't know if the gruesomest photos still are. Beware. 

Endless books have been written about Short, making all kinds of wild statements and conjectures--that she fell into prostitution, that she was never a prostitute, that she had no vaginal canal or uterus (this is not mentioned in the autopsy, so I think it can be ruled out), that she was pregnant at the time of her death, that she used people relentlessly to survive (for example, once she slept on your sofa once and you fed her, you could never get her to leave), that she was the nicest person imaginable, that she was lazy and preferred to live off people and go from person to person, that her teeth were in terrible shape (that's putting it mildly), that she affected white facial powder and dyed her hair black, that she was publicly promiscuous (she would go down on men in bars, it was reported), etc.

Numerous people, all men to my knowledge, including doctors, policemen, underworld figures (Bugsy Siegel), and famous people have been suspected and investigated as being her murderer. It's one of the most high-profile unsolved cases of the 20th century. 

Whether Lana is actually using Short and her murder as a theme for the 'CN' video, I don't know. I could certainly see it, as 'CN' is doom-laden. When Lana released the footage on IG over the last 48 hours, the internet erupted with the idea that she's drawing on the Black Dahlia murder for the video. Whether there's any hard evidence of that, I don't know. Does anyone? Has she or Ben said anything to that effect? 

39 minutes ago, fine china said:

I see they mentioned she talks about a suicide attempt in Fingertips. Is this true? I didn’t realize that. Is it the verse where she talks about the neighbors pulling her up by her waist?

She mentions suicide on the album more than once, on more than one song. 

3 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Whether there's any hard evidence of that, I don't know. Does anyone? Has she or Ben said anything to that effect? 

Lana said on IG that the video draws from the Black Dahlia

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

I’m so excited for Luscent’s review. :excited:

I like Jon Denton a lot, but I feel like a lot of his reviews lately have felt like they haven’t given much which isn’t his fault if that’s his natural reaction and/or if he doesn’t vibe with the album much. But Luscent always gives us so much emotion and insight to his thoughts which I love. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

12 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Whether Lana is actually using Short and her murder as a theme for the 'CN' video, I don't know. I could certainly see it, as 'CN' is doom-laden. When Lana released the footage on IG over the last 48 hours, the internet erupted with the idea that she's drawing on the Black Dahlia murder for the video. Whether there's any hard evidence of that, I don't know. Does anyone? Has she or Ben said anything to that effect? 

903876-DB-AB71-4138-AB21-53-DBB71-F2-FE7.jpg

she posted this! i think it's interesting given the natalie wood (another hollywood starlet who's death remains unsolved/"mysterious") inspired cover art,

i don't know the intention yet but i wonder if it just ties in w the whole "don't forget me" theme that the album/title track specifically is so heavily based around.

or based on everything you just shared ab Short, I wouldn't be surprised if Lana also partially relates to her in the sense that ppl cant stop misconstruing things about her/her life?

still dont get why ppl are mad over it tho.. the damn thing isn't even out yet lol. people just can't wait to draw conclusions from literally nothing & be angry ig 

Am I crazy or wasn’t there several posts about Variety doing a ranking and placing COCC as #1?

I just ask cause the variety ranking I came across this morning was completely different. I wonder if they edited or if maybe another writer dropped a different ranking.  

19 minutes ago, fine china said:

19 minutes ago, fine china said:

Okay--if that's accurate, then Lord knows what we're in for. I don't know if we can assume it will be 'tasteful' or tactful, or respectful of Short's memory and 'all-over-the-place' reputation. As I mentioned yesterday, Short has a legion of devoted guardians, and they're quick to attack anyone who dares to sully, or further sully, her reputation. So I would expect they will come after Lana now, unless Lana approaches her as a victim of a male-dominated society. 

It seems as if everyone who knew Short had a completely different impression of her, and books have even been published by friends who knew her back in New England. That Short may have lied a great deal would be no surprise, that's often the case with young people trying to rise through society or an industry in a strange town, while simultaneously trying make ends meet. 

7 minutes ago, Venice Jesus Whore said:

I’m so excited for Luscent’s review. :excited:

I like Jon Denton a lot, but I feel like a lot of his reviews lately have felt like they haven’t given much which isn’t his fault if that’s his natural reaction and/or if he doesn’t vibe with the album much. But Luscent always gives us so much emotion and insight to his thoughts which I love. 

I watched his 2h 40 min uncut reaction and its AMAZING.. 

4 minutes ago, DLT said:

Am I crazy or wasn’t there several posts about Variety doing a ranking and placing COCC as #1?

I just ask cause the variety ranking I came across this morning was completely different. I wonder if they edited or if maybe another writer dropped a different ranking.  

Omg they had their ranking backwards so they changed it

9 minutes ago, DLT said:

oh wow they are so real for moving ultraviolence to number one

3 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

903876-DB-AB71-4138-AB21-53-DBB71-F2-FE7.jpg

she posted this! i think it's interesting given the natalie wood (another hollywood starlet who's death remains unsolved/"mysterious") inspired cover art,

i don't know the intention yet but i wonder if it just ties in w the whole "don't forget me" theme that the album/title track specifically is so heavily based around.

still dont get why ppl are mad over it tho.. the damn thing isn't even out yet lol. people just can't wait to draw conclusions from literally nothing & be angry ig 

Thank you--apparently I saw everything else on IG but that. 

As to why some may be mad about it, I've followed the case for years, read most of the books about the BD murder, and, from my online contacts, learned that there is a fairly massive number of people, mostly women, mostly feminists, who either identify with Short, or don't want to see her memory further sullied, or both. But you can read 15 books on the topic and get 15 completely different sets of 'facts' and interpretation of those 'facts' about Short, so at this point it's like reading about the Jack the Ripper murders: very few authors are objective, honest, and rely on the hard facts that are actually known.

Political, social, and subjective views flood the interpretations; some feminists perceive male authors and investigators as slandering Short when they feel she should be treated like a saint due to her victimhood, while some authors feel that the hard facts about Short's life have to be brought to light. But no one can decide on what the facts are, short of the autopsy report.