Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

5 hours ago, SalvaWHORE said:

New reviews so far:

Observer: 80/100

Beats Per Minute: 84/100

LA Times: Positive Review (expecting 90-100/100)

Sydney Morning Herald: Positive review

I cant see the score from LAtimes & SMH tho. But I hope we get at least 85/100 on metacritic. Ocean Blvd deserves more than 80

Mid to bad critics seem to weigh so much more than good reviews somehow… I remember COTCC went from 85 to 81 after the Sputnik critic was added. Really hope Ocean Blvd will stay above 80, I know critics don’t always mean a lot when it comes to how good an album is, but it’s objectively better than BB (and BB was my second favourite Lana album ever)

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

2 hours ago, HT71 said:

I was thinking this morning while listening to it, that maybe she removed the word mother as a further diss! Imagine, not even referring to her as a mother. I actually think that;s the reason.  Lana won't even call her mother anymore. In which case, I love the removal even more as it's more powerful.

uuuuh that’s interesting, it could be too!!

13.04.2018 Rome - Lana wore my hat! 

Dying by the hand of a foreign man, Happily
Calling out my name in the summer rain, Ciao amore

i've been crying to paris, texas for the past hour, such a great song :krylie: it's like the album and this song especially were released at the right time for me to hear, since it relates a lot to what i've been going thru recently (and i saw many of you guys feel the same way as well)... the song makes me feel as if it's a warm hug from someone who understands and gives me strength to get through everything :rollin:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

43 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

Fingertips still hasn't really grasped me, it sounds pretty but i do find myself getting bored when it's on. I guess it doesn't help that i find most of what she's saying quite hard to understand given the fact that it mostly relies on it's lyrics to be interesting 

I would recommend reading the lyrics on Genius while listening

https://genius.com/Lana-del-rey-fingertips-lyrics

That helped me, at least. Once you understand the text, you hear it more clearly next time :agree:

so… after sitting with the album for a a few days i have to say… total and utter excellence

truly getting better with each listen. not a single song i downright dislike, some i won’t play much sure but no big skips 

she really did it again i fear :bye4:

i may do a track by track review later later xoxo

My ranking right now:

Ocean Blvd

A&W

Fingertips

The Grants

Sweet

Peppers

Kintsugi

Taco Truck

Margaret

Paris Texas

Candy Necklace

Let the Light In

Grandfather

Fishtail

Jon Batiste Interlude

Judah Smith Interlude

I love all of them except those last three. Fishtail and Jon Batiste Interlude are mid imo. Judah is an instant skip.

I can't believe how beautiful the melodies and vocals are in Paris Texas. Wow, she sounds so breezy. Honestly this album has many of her best-ever vocals.

I'll be totally honest this is probably the first album from Lana that i haven't immediately fallen in love with. It's quite hard to get into and i'm still not quite sure on it. It's too early for me to actually form a valid opinion on it but right now as much as i do really like some of the songs, i don't really care that much about them, and it's so weird cus i'm not really sure why. Like i can't help but feel a little bored with this narrative of family and such. Again it's not that the music is boring or bad in any way but i think personally my taste in music has changed significantly over the years and i don't think it helped that the album was constantly being described as "massive and crazy" - which i do think it is a new style for her but it definitely over-built my expectations and i couldn't help but feel a little dissapointed upon first listen. I mean even A&W didn't really shock me as much as it appeared to do with other people, and i suppose reading about it for months before having heard it has ultimately done more damage to my experience than it was worth.

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

My ranking at the moment

A&W

Grandfather

Candy Necklace

Taco Truck

Paris Texas

Ocean Blvd

Sweet

Peppers

The Grants

Margaret

Let the Light In

FishTail

Kintsugi

Fingertip’s

Jon Batiste Interlude

Judah Smith Interlude

I don’t dislike any song really part from the Judah interlude, Kintsugi and Fingertips are great but I don’t feel like they’re something I can listen to all the time. I’ve played them probably 100x and don’t feel motivated to hear them again for awhile. I suspect Margret and Let the Light in will go up. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

22 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I'll be totally honest this is probably the first album from Lana that i haven't immediately fallen in love with. It's quite hard to get into and i'm still not quite sure on it. It's too early for me to actually form a valid opinion on it but right now as much as i do really like some of the songs, i don't really care that much about them, and it's so weird cus i'm not really sure why. Like i can't help but feel a little bored with this narrative of family and such. Again it's not that the music is boring or bad in any way but i think personally my taste in music has changed significantly over the years and i don't think it helped that the album was constantly being described as "massive and crazy" - which i do think it is a new style for her but it definitely over-built my expectations and i couldn't help but feel a little dissapointed upon first listen. I mean even A&W didn't really shock me as much as it appeared to do with other people, and i suppose reading about it for months before having heard it has ultimately done more damage to my experience than it was worth.

I agree with you. I do like the music and it has grown on me since I first listened but it hasn’t grabbed me the way I was hoping it would like Born to Die, Paradise, UV, and Honeymoon did when I first listened. 

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

This album is easily her best vocally. Yeah she’s not doing anything crazy but her voice is so soothing and almost an instrument in the songs. The way she delivers emotions, going up and down like it’s nothing etc just pure magic. I thought some songs should’ve just been poems but the more I listen the more I understand how significant her voice is to understand and feel the record. 

This album definitely will be the record we look at 10 years from now on, not necessarily to listen and enjoy but to document Lana’s talent as a songwriter and a singer. 

2 minutes ago, brooklyn Babyy said:

preview.gif

Just a post to really appreciate "sweet" and all the beautiful melodies in the song 

DO YOU WANT CHILDREN? DO YOU WANNA MARRY ME?

preview.gif

6 minutes ago, brooklyn Babyy said:

preview.gif

Just a post to really appreciate "sweet" and all the beautiful melodies in the song 

What you don’t really understand 

I’ve got magic in my hand, stars in my eyes 

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

40 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I feel the same way even listening the album multiple times. :smokes:

33 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

i'm having a similar experience, and also having trouble putting my fingers on what exactly is missing for me. honestly i'm over the "hitting back at the critics" stuff– she is more successful that ever and SO adored by fans, and while she can obviously sing about whatever she wants those sentiments aren't connecting with me personally, and feel like retreading old ground at this point (even though she hasn't sung about it, she's talked about it A LOT since QFTC). with the exception of a&w and title track i'm not feeling a huge emotional connection to the songs/lyrics that way i did with COCC, for example, which i think is probably the primary reason i'm having a harder time connecting with the songs. 

i think the album is excellent but i that i'm just not emotionally in tune with whatever trip is lana is on with this album which is fine! i still enjoy listening and think it will prob grow on me with time as i create my own emotional bonds with the songs and where my life is at atm. for me this, right now, this album fits into my ranking like so: COCC > UV=HM=NFR > DYKTATUOB > BB > LFL > Paradise > BTD. while i love some of the songs on BB more than most of the songs on DYK, the BB songs I really love are the older songs and i still have trouble thinking of them as BB songs rather than outtakes from previous eras.

aOaIzH2.gif