I don't think there has been a time that I listened to Kintsugi without crying. The part from 5:10 followed by 'then you're golden' breaks my heart every single time. This is the most heart-breaking yet hopeful song I have ever heard.

Lana Del Rey’s great-uncle Dick was so dazed the night before he died that he accidentally grabbed the singer’s wrist and coughed into her hand. “I just cried,” she recalls in her soft, airy American twang.She was at his home at a vigil alongside 30 members of her extended family. “I shouldn’t have been the one crying,” she says. “The people around me were his children — I’m just this star who walked in.” Then suddenly everyone started singing the old folk song Froggy Went a-Courtin’ — once covered by Bob Dylan — in a 13-part harmony. “It was a pivotal moment because I realised that they could sing as well as I do, but I just happen to be the one who made it. That was the missing piece I needed. I felt part of a very wide network, a grain of sand on the beach.”

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

2 minutes ago, HoneymoonSupremacy said:

Can someone English-speaking explain the meaning of this cryptic line, please?

"I don't know anyone left to know songs that I sing". Left to know? Left=deceased?

left= still around. no one she knows still knows rhe same songs

1 minute ago, HoneymoonSupremacy said:

Can someone English-speaking explain the meaning of this cryptic line, please?

"I don't know anyone left to know songs that I sing". Left to know? Left=deceased?

The opposite!

I don’t know anyone left who knows the songs that I sing = I don’t know anybody who is still alive who knows the songs that I sing.

Like she’s shocked that people (her cousin, who is 14 years old) knows classic folk songs. She mentions the song ‘Froggie Came A-Courtin’. She’s surprised he, and everybody in her family, knows and is attached to classic folk songs like she is

ezgif-2-61df3cf70b84.gif

Peace by vengeance brings the end.

3 minutes ago, That Venice Bitch said:

The opposite!

I don’t know anyone left who knows the songs that I sing = I don’t know anybody who is still alive who knows the songs that I sing.

Like she’s shocked that people (her cousin, who is 14 years old) knows classic folk songs. She mentions the song ‘Froggie Came A-Courtin’. She’s surprised he, and everybody in her family, knows and is attached to classic folk songs like she is

Oh many thanks! Your further explanation was what really made me get it. 😅 This song is golden.

5 hours ago, That Venice Bitch said:

The opposite!

This is a great explanation. I also think there's a double meaning - the 'songs that she sings' also refer to her own songs, and she's thinking of the end of her own life ("... your days flash in front of you"), and she sees herself forgotten (see 'DYKTTATUOB'), and her own songs as obscure as the folk songs. (The 'just another folk song' also shows this double meaning - both the old songs her families are standing together singing, and also 'Kintsugi' itself).

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Kintsugi is so underrated. The opening line:

There’s a certain point the body can’t come back from 

always destroys me, going through shit & trauma changes people :crying4::xcry:

giphy.gif

.⊹˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

This song is really just beyond words. It’s the song that shows up in my dreams and that I wake up and immediately listen to. I’ve been listening to Lana for over a decade and no song she’s ever made has moved me or affected me quite as much as this one. It might be my favorite of all time