Sign in to follow this  
Manson

What was the original Tropico album?

Someone posted on insta about the Tropico album that turned into UV. I never knew that Tropico was supposed to be more than the EP we got. There's also a notepad tracklist for that scrapped record? Is that true and can someone post? Do we have a tracklist?

10 minutes ago, Manson said:

Someone posted on insta about the Tropico album that turned into UV. I never knew that Tropico was supposed to be more than the EP we got. There's also a notepad tracklist for that scrapped record? Is that true and can someone post? Do we have a tracklist?

There's a thread called LDR Album Process Discussion which explains the background of Tropico.

Did you know that...

1 minute ago, bored said:

There's a thread called LDR Album Process Discussion which explains the background of Tropico?

17 minutes ago, Thunder Revenant said:

Pretry sure that is entirely made up.

We know Lana worked on an album that contained thr original Black Beauty version before moving to UV  it Tdopico was never an album

it wasn’t made up lana literally wrote a tracklist  draft inside of a notebook dhshdhs 

Tropico was the original title of Ultraviolence (album) before she renamed it

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥

If the LDR Album Process Discussion thread is too long for you:

In January 2013 Lana was photographed with Rick Nowels while recording songs for her sophomore album. Her notebook had a list of songs on the side of it with an underlined working title, "Tropico" at the top. During an interview in November 2012 she mentioned that Cola would be the second single from Paradise and that she really hopes to release short films for Gods & Monsters and Bel Air.

What's weird is, that the visualizer for Bel Air released in November 2012 had this in the description: "i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth. But i have my beauty and i have my youth. Tropico the film, coming next year."

That leads us to conclude that TROPICO was really just a placeholder name for the then unnamed project but it might be linked conceptually to the stuff she was recording at that time, knowing how Tropico had strong biblical and spiritual imagery.

This is the track list:

Tropico

Old Money

Black Beauty

Guns & Roses

Lake Placid

Summertime

Melancholia

Jesus

Pink Champagne

Elvis

Earthquakes

?

Axl Rose

?

Spoiler

LDRNotes.png

14 minutes ago, cranekiss said:

it wasn’t made up lana literally wrote a tracklist  draft inside of a notebook dhshdhs 

11 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

Tropico was the original title of Ultraviolence (album) before she renamed it

Most likely not.

We know she uses "working titles" for albums that, in her mind, capture the vibe or the meaning of the project at that time. White Hot Forever, Rock Candy Sweet, etc.

Tropico was never going to be the album's title, because she had already decided to give that name to the short film she was preparing for 2013. She just used it because she felt the concept she had in mind at that time matched the project she was working on. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Husband Stealer said:

If the LDR Album Process Discussion thread is too long for you:

In January 2013 Lana was photographed with Rick Nowels while recording songs for her sophomore album. Her notebook had a list of songs on the side of it with an underlined working title, "Tropico" at the top. During an interview in November 2012 she mentioned that Cola would be the second single from Paradise and that she really hopes to release short films for Gods & Monsters and Bel Air.

What's weird is, that the visualizer for Bel Air released in November 2012 had this in the description: "i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth. But i have my beauty and i have my youth. Tropico the film, coming next year."

That leads us to conclude that TROPICO was really just a placeholder name for the then unnamed project but it might be linked conceptually to the stuff she was recording at that time, knowing how Tropico had strong biblical and spiritual imagery.

This is the track list:

Tropico

Old Money

Black Beauty

Guns & Roses

Lake Placid

Summertime

Melancholia

Jesus

Pink Champagne

Elvis

Earthquakes

?

Axl Rose

?

Hide contents

LDRNotes.png

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the summary :flutter:

Damn I can't read shit on that photo. Crazy to think that people would consider it a tracklist.

Just now, Crazy Husband Stealer said:

Most likely not.

We know she uses "working titles" for albums that, in her mind, capture the vibe or the meaning of the project at that time. White Hot Forever, Rock Candy Sweet, etc.

Tropico was never going to be the album's title, because she had already decided to give that name to the short film she was preparing for 2013. She just used it because she felt the concept she had in mind at that time matched the project she was working on. 

the notebook picture is from january 2013 and production on the film didnt start until summer 2013, at one point the film and the album were going to go together but the music wasnt ready so lana decided to sit on the music metaphorically for a while and now we have ultraviolence

at one point I Talk to Jesus was going to be on the Tropico EP but was left out for unknown reasons

Just now, cranekiss said:

the notebook picture is from january 2013 and production on the film didnt start until summer 2013, at one point the film and the album were going to go together but the music wasnt ready so lana decided to sit on the music metaphorically for a while and now we have ultraviolence

at one point I Talk to Jesus was going to be on the Tropico EP but was left out for unknown reasons

Well "Jesus" on that notepad is likely "I Talk To Jesus" or not?

5 minutes ago, Manson said:

Well "Jesus" on that notepad is likely "I Talk To Jesus" or not?

it is! it was the only tropico album song she was trying to release after realizing the music wasnt ready

of course it was reconsidered for UV but she really wanted to release it within the tropico extended play and film

18 minutes ago, cranekiss said:

I don’t believe that to be honest.

I think most of the TROPICO tea is inferred from that one picture and song metadata, so nothing that is ACTUALLY confirmed.

It definitely wasn’t a coincidence that Lana posted a Bel Air visualizer with a Tropico film teaser in the description AND talked about a Bel Air and Gods & Monsters video both in November 2012 (before the studio notes picture was taken).

7 minutes ago, Crazy Husband Stealer said:

Another theory: She listed songs for possible inclusion in the film and the EP that she thought would fit with Bel Air and Gods & Monsters before settling with I Talk to Jesus before scrapping it from the tracklist.

Ah you mean the "tracklist" on that paper might be a list of tracks for the short film not for an album?

Just now, Manson said:

Ah you mean the "tracklist" on that paper might be a list of tracks for the short film not for an album?

yup

Many of those songs weren't even ready by the time that photo was taken. She probably listed those songs to further work on them and see what would come out of it. She then settled with I Talk to Jesus (at first) and then scrapped it again.