one time beauty queen

Barbie (July 2023) dir. Greta Gerwig

no i am SO ready for this:krylie:  it seems to have more of a barbie dreamhouse vibe (wich i never saw...) rather than the magical feel of the ICONIC 00s movies tho

also, the cast??? half of the sex education cast? michael cera?? nicola coughlan? sold

tumblr-n02pmk-XHSH1rcgcl7o6-250.gif

Haven’t been this excited about a movie in a long time. 

“She’s everything, he’s just Ken” is giving “my boyfriend’s pretty cool, but he’s not as cool as me” energy, love it.

greta gerwig isn't that the kid who always talks about global warming 

i can't wait for this movie though, i hope they do it justice!

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

On 4/4/2023 at 5:33 PM, dyktatuob said:

kinda worried about the movie...i was expecting a fun movie but it's looking to be a political statement 

On 4/4/2023 at 5:33 PM, Surf Noir said:

how so? just curious because i don't really know much about the movie

i do expect it'll have some sort of commentary on the 'patriarchy' - especially beauty standards & all that jazz but as long as they don't overdo it, i think it'll be solid.

apart from that, idk what kind of "political" angle it could take on tbh:um2: anyway.....cant wait BARBIE LIVE ACTION:trisha:

this is basically the plot 

Spoiler

The film is set in “Barbieland,” a beautiful, colorful society with Kens and Barbies. Ryan Gosling's Ken, said to be a “complete doofus”, is obsessed with Barbie, but loves the real world for all the reasons Barbie hates it (beauty standards, sexism, etc). Gerwig’s film eventually becomes a “big fish out of water comedy” as Ken and Barbie leave “Barbieland” for the real world and the Mattel CEO (Will Ferrell) goes after the duo to bring them back to Barbieland