Chris Cuomo

Katy Perry

OKAY so here's my track by track review of Smile (including the Target Deluxe tracks)!

Spoiler

Never Really Over: 8.5/10

A classic, easily the best song off of Smile.

Cry About It Later: 6/10

I'm kind of getting Melanie Martinez vibes from this one, and it's pretty boring tbh. There is a guitar solo which is pretty cool, but the vocal production on top of it is weirdly placed.

Teary Eyes: 7.5/10

My favorite non-single track, but I don't remember much about it so ima move on.

Daisies: 2/10

I really don't like this song, I don't think the vocals are amazing especially in the chorus.

Resilient: 1/10

A total cringe-fest, the song keeps building but never pays off and in some moments the building instrumental is pretty laughable.

Not the End of the World: 3/10

it's ok, but it has a pretty weak chorus, which seems to be a recurring theme on Smile.

Smile (feat. Diddy): 5/10

I hate the notion of anything being "guilty pleasure" but Smile is definitely an exception. Diddy somehow made the song a little better though, but his adlibs at the end are horrible.

Champagne Problems: 6/10

The intro is ridiculous and messy, but the rest of the song is ok.

Tucked:

Honestly I don’t remember it that much.

Harleys in Hawaii: 8/10

LOVE LOVE LOVE the instrumental and vocals on this song. It's probably the most accessible and appealing song on Smile, along with NRO.

Only Love: 6/10

This one was cute, but again the intro was really weird.

What Makes a Woman: 2/10

Overly-saccharine & try-hard sentimental song. I love the message and everything but it comes off very forced.

Message From Katy: 0/10

The fact that this is the third longest track on the album is very weird. I have absolutely no idea why this included or why it was so long. It should have been typed in the liner notes or something.

High On Your Supply: 0.5/10

It’s not good on so many levels. The vocals, production, and everything in between are just so misplaced and odd.

In conclusion, stream Teenage Dream...

Damn I really thought Katy Perry could save modern-day female pop...looks like our last hope is Ariana and Dua...why have all the pop girls from the 00s, 10s evolved into complete disasters? 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

So I just finished listening and

Spoiler

It’s trash

Spoiler

Don’t even bother listening

Spoiler

But seriously-

Never Really Over: Still the best track on the album.

Cry About It: I wanna like her, but she’s not doing much for me rn.

Teary Eyes: Trash.

Daisies: She’s ok. 
Resilient: She wants to do it but she just can’t. Sounds like a corny Prism outtake to me.
Not the End of the World: I think this is my favorite track but also blah. 
Smile: Trash. 
Champagne Problems: Trash

Tucked: Trash

Harleys In Hawaii: Bop. 

Only Love: Trash.

What Makes a Woman: Trash

Message From Katy: why tho?

High On Your Supply: Trash. 

Spoiler

You’re welcome. :slayty:

I understand that releasing this record the same week they were promoting Teenage Dream's 10th anniversary, might have seemed like a good idea... Kinda like, "oh remember how much you loved Katy Perry, remember all her hits, well check out her new album!".

But in reality, having people visit Teenage Dream and Smile in the same week just shows that one body of work is superior to the other and that 10 years later she hasn't really developed much as an artist.

Anyways, it's a fun, inoffensive pop record! I was hoping for something more in the vein of Daisies and Never Really Over, sonically. But hey ho. Katy seems happy and proud of the project.

7 hours ago, Mer Boy said:

Damn I really thought Katy Perry could save modern-day female pop...looks like our last hope is Ariana and Dua...why have all the pop girls from the 00s, 10s evolved into complete disasters? 

rina sawayama and bree runway exist

I’m back and here are my thoughts. 
(Some context I’ve been a KatyCat since 2009 (it’s been hard fam) and honestly she was the one who told me about BornToDie in 2012 so I wouldn’t be here (on Lanaboards) without her so shoutout - but also that means I do already have a liking for Katy, but I’m still ready to critique this album “fairly”.)

Never Really Over. Such a bop, I’m a fan let’s go. 

Cry About it Later. Kinda love it. This is the sound direction I originally wanted her to go down with Prism. Its not bubbly, it’s not darkness, it’s a cool mix of both.

Teary Eyes. WHO IS EVER IN CHARGE OF HER SINGLE CHOICES NEEDS TO BE FIRED. I’m here for this, the club bop of the album. 

Daisies. I like this song, It’s a very “KatyPerry” song in terms of, here’s a bunch of metaphors or basically If it sounds like it could be on TeenageDream. (not a bad thing but like someone else said, where’s that song writing growth)

Resilient. Loved the demo of this but after hearing it’s by the people who did “Firework” I’m not sure if I expected it to be more? Could’ve been on Prism iop

Not The End of the World. This is different but I’m actually a fan, this is a sound I like. It kinda reminds me of BlackWidow as well for some reason, especially after the demo leaked. I like this though. 

Smile. I haven’t really liked this song ever since it leaked. Oop still indifferent, skip. I’ll keep the solo and not the featured version thanks. 

Champagne Problems. I want to like this song but something about the chorus is just throwing it off for me. I’m a fan of the verses but something about it being just another weekend bop song, you know what I mean? another expected KatyPerry song. 

Tucked. I wasn’t sure what to expect of this song because of the title (lol) but this is actually a pretty cute song. That “la la la” vocals are the best, I wanna bop along to this song driving by the beach.

Harleys in Hawaii. A bop, a hit, nothing brand new for her but I love when she sings a bit lower, the chorus for this is so Cruisey~ I’m here for it.

Only Love. Omg? Wow I wasn’t expecting this. I actually like this as well. I don’t think she’s the best songwriter in terms of personal stuff like this, I always unfairly compare her to Taylor for some reason, but it’s still kinda cute I think I like it? Lol

Her songs are so short! I was aware going into the album but seeing how quickly I’ve gotten through it is kind of jarring. The songs could be so much more!

What Makes a Woman. I don’t mind this but there’s something about the chorus that just makes me think of Trixie Mattel, fucking lol, idek. The production seems out of place or off, I don’t know what it is about it, maybe it’s the extra reverb on her voice? Idek

High on Your Supply. I’m not a big fan of this song, I get it’s just for fun and to be sassy, but it feels like an expected Katy song and it feels outdated? 

Overall thoughts. I liked it, it’s not amazingly perfect but I was entertained. I wish she had’ve pushed herself a bit further and just completely jumped out of her comfort zone. Going through to decide on favourites I find I’m kinda struggling... Theyre good but not insanely memorable or shocking. This is the music I kind of expect from Katy now, except for a few songs of course. 

[spoiler\]

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />