Chris Cuomo

Katy Perry

Honestly, the album cover should've been textless, like Witness... I really love the shoot and direction, but the fonts and layout are not pleasant to look at.

Also, I'm really enjoying Smile, but I'm a little concerned at how much it sounds like a PRISM song, considering that album was released 7 years ago. Like Never Really Over still felt like classic Katy whilst remaining new and fresh. I just hope she hasn't fallen into a trap of trying too hard to recreate the Teenage Dream / PRISM sound.

The cover is way better than Witness' one. It's unique and interesting for its ugliness (in a good way) <3

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

89eecadeabb17dc56b1254e3358a2764.png

found this while putting the album into my end of year list- can't find any higher quality versions though

update: a quick google search finds one that's heavily cropped but might be slightly higher quality?  it doesn't look that much better tho (link)

i found this one

EcjPwlMWoAAUm5r.jpg

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

89eecadeabb17dc56b1254e3358a2764.png

found this while putting the album into my end of year list- can't find any higher quality versions though

update: a quick google search finds one that's heavily cropped but might be slightly higher quality?  it doesn't look that much better tho (link)

uhq here

自由になる自由がある

I like the idea of the cover but the font n color scheme r so ugly. it wouldve been cute as a textless cover but even then the color scheme is so off. a shame cause the single covers this era have been real cute.

qfrWuBl.png

I like the idea of the cover but the font n color scheme r so ugly. it wouldve been cute as a textless cover but even then the color scheme is so off. a shame cause the single covers this era have been real cute.

does it give u like, 80s family photo pictorial, w/o the clown outfit bc

UV/Honeymoon

do y'all think she's going to serve something in the vein of feels? i loved that song and had that pop signatura katy has always had but also something new

i hope she does, i love that song so much

also listening to pearl rn and i was gonna say i want her to do something like the verses, not for this era but maybe in the future, but i think maybe witness is kind of in the same vein? idk... i just love when she's like "she was a hurricane... cane... cane..." 

all the singles flopped, is anyone actually looking forward to this?

me... im not even trying to hide it anymore. i never used to consider myself an avid fan of katy, but i recently got a spotify fans first email for katy exposing how much i really listen to her so i guess im an official katycat now. 

Never Really Over is the hit, unfortunate but true. It's an amazing song and was a return to form for Katy following on from Witness that didn't get the response from fans and the GP they expected. Therefore they needed a hit to launch the new album.

Harley's In Hawaii follows on from Never Really Over as another song about being in love (which seems to be a key theme of Smile). Plus fans loved it, there's also visual connections between the music video and the Never Really Over music video.

Daisies, I guess is the official lead single and is a great one (visually it seems a bit random but hey ho). It was a nice reintroduction into the era and one of her better singes.

Smile, is classic Katy Perry! The real Teenage Dream / PRISM sound that the GP expect and love from her. Realistically she should've came back with black hair and a pin up aesthetic and she would be smashing the charts (jokes). But I'm glad she remained blonde and is still out there with the visuals.

I get your point about having the droplets included but it makes sense, you say it should be quality over quantity? I believe that's what she did. The album is only 37 minutes! Never Really Over and Harley's are some of her best songs in recent years and I'm glad they found a home. I'd of been disappointed if Small Talk and Never Worn White were crammed on to the standard album too! Plus Small Talk doesn't fit the theme of new love etc. They'll make nice bonus tracks.

Your point about her music videos (in the Witness era) confused me... Katy has never had cohesive single visuals, rarely tying to the album theme.

• California Gurls is the only video from Teenage Dream that clearly links to the album artwork with the whole candy land.

• Teenage Dream was just fun and breezy.

• Firework, well... was fireworks.

• E.T. saw her in space with Kanye West.

• Last Friday Night was a teenage spring break house party.

• The One That Got Away again... random.

• Roar, she was Jane of the jungle.

• Unconditionally she was at some medieval ball.

• Dark Horse was ancient Egypt themed.

• Birthday was just birthday parties.

Anyways the list goes on! To me her singles have always felt like individual eras with their own identities. And that's nothing new?

I think the "Bonus Tracks" solution would be the best way to go, because they would "find a home" (I like the way you put it), pleasing the fans that enjoy them, all the while leaving room to new material. 

Regarding her look, I think that her going back to the pin up look could have worked because the GP does like to recognize who they like. But the ploy wouldn't have worked forever. And it would surely have become burdensome for her, too. 

Regarding the eras visual identity, I wasn't implying that every mv should be an extension of the album cover, rather in the same spirit. If you're presenting some cute, bubbly, heavenly, dreamy in an album cover, wouldn't it make sense that the songs' visual reflect that ? That's why Teenage Dream and Firework fit that era quite well, California Girls takes the cake, while E.T was a darker take on the "dream". Last Friday Night was again bright and colorful and playful. The One That Got Away to me was the first left turn but it was the end of the era after all. They wanted to cash on the album and cash another number one but the GP had probably seen too much of Katy. They did make use of her pin up image, though, while not being the focus. Finally, I would say every promotional live performance echoed the general theme. Same with the tour.

Prism was all over the place and, while it gave the hits you expected, I think that's where the GP started getting confused about who Katy Perry was, as an artist. You can't really define her. Regardless of what they do, artist usually stick to their brand. Artists who do too much confuse the GP. A very interesting example is Nelly Furtado. Her album sales between "Loose" (which debuted with more than 200K sales in its first week ) to "The Spirit Indestructible" (which sold around 6K in its first week) is one of the most spectacular drops in the industry. And all because she thought she could ride on her success wave. That doesn't mean the music is bad per se, and as long as she's happy with it, more power to her. But I just think it's a fascinating illustration of how the GP gets confused when it gets too many mixed messages from an artist they know.  

That's why I think she had found an interesting balance between nostalgia and freshness in the "Chained to the Rhythm" mv. You could recognize the colorful bubbly fun pop star but in a dystopian universe. 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I think the "Bonus Tracks" solution would be the best way to go, because they would "find a home" (I like the way you put it), pleasing the fans that enjoy them, all the while leaving room to new material. 

Regarding her look, I think that her going back to the pin up look could have worked because the GP does like to recognize who they like. But the ploy wouldn't have worked forever. And it would surely have become burdensome for her, too. 

Regarding the eras visual identity, I wasn't implying that every mv should be an extension of the album cover, rather in the same spirit. If you're presenting some cute, bubbly, heavenly, dreamy in an album cover, wouldn't it make sense that the songs' visual reflect that ? That's why Teenage Dream and Firework fit that era quite well, California Girls takes the cake, while E.T was a darker take on the "dream". Last Friday Night was again bright and colorful and playful. The One That Got Away to me was the first left turn but it was the end of the era after all. They wanted to cash on the album and cash another number one but the GP had probably seen too much of Katy. They did make use of her pin up image, though, while not being the focus. Finally, I would say every promotional live performance echoed the general theme. Same with the tour.

Prism was all over the place and, while it gave the hits you expected, I think that's where the GP started getting confused about who Katy Perry was, as an artist. You can't really define her. Regardless of what they do, artist usually stick to their brand. Artists who do too much confuse the GP. A very interesting example is Nelly Furtado. Her album sales between "Loose" (which debuted with more than 200K sales in its first week ) to "The Spirit Indestructible" (which sold around 6K in its first week) is one of the most spectacular in the industry. And all because she could ride on her success wave. That doesn't mean the music is bad per se, and as long as she's happy with it, more power to her. But I just think it's a fascinating illustration of how the GP gets confused when it gets too many mixed messages from an artist they know.  

That's why I think she had found an interesting balance between nostalgia and freshness in the "Chained to the Rhythm" mv. You could recognize the colorful bubbly fun pop star but in a dystopian universe. 

Whew, points were made. I was just thinking about the other day how the GP don't really know Katy.

She's got all the hits, but people don't seem to really know her or can really describe who she is, she's just there.