Chris Cuomo

Katy Perry

anyway heres my track by track review:

Spoiler

Never Really Over:  Still dislike the post-chorus, the song as a whole is a bop tho

Cry About It Later: Positively surprised here, love the melody in the verses and the production in the chorus. I thought the repetitive lyrics would annoy me, but they dont

Teary Eyes: Boring, that's a song youre gonna go off to in a club but never ever listen to in private

Daisies: She's cute, nothing special. Also, I never knew Jon Bellion cowrote this lmao

Resilient: The plucked strings are cute but I wished she wouldve switched the production up a little cuz it is a little boring. Also the autotune in the last chorus line kills this song for me

Not The End Of The World: This lowkey sounds like a thank u, next reject and the production is so incredibly melodramatic but i like her a lot

Smile: I don't know what it is about this song but yes this is BAD, I hate the production, I hate the chorus melody, I hate the feature on the physical versions

Champagne Problems: Bass line giving me Pretty Please vibes. Idk i think the chorus is weak. Cute, but nothing outstanding

Tucked: I thought we were going Last Friday Night when the guitar started playing :rip: I had war flashbacks to Teary Eyes for a second when the chorus started. I like this one

Harleys in Hawaii: I don't know what it is about this song but I have never liked it

Only Love: I like this one, the chorus has a very pretty melody

What Makes A Woman: I like this song, how it turns from a guitar-driven song to a bop! I also thought the single version was way too short so I am very happy this one has an extended version

Message from Katy: Wait that's her speaking voice, weee-- Kinda sounds like Lana rambling on Instagram

High On Your Supply: Yeah there's a reason this is a bonus track

My favorite tracks are Cry About It Later (that ones a 10/10), also really like Not The End of the World, Tucked and What Makes a Woman.

image.png

It does kinda feel a bit all over the place and thrown together? Like it's not not cohesive but it still kinda feels like a bunch of leftovers from her last 3 album sessions plus 1 or 2 new singles.

I really miss her personality... Like, Ur So Gay (controversial now yeah), Circle The Drain, Dressin Up, One Of The Boys... I dunno the first 2 albums were bursting with personality and had some edge to them. This feels like PRISM but blander? It's very Katy Perry by numbers and I get it was the safe thing to do and probably what her label wanted too after the Witness era. But I dunno, she may as well thrown on a black wig for that album cover cos nothing here is new or exciting for me, personally.

I'm honestly more excited for her next project (God knows when) but she seems to want to go more acoustic and stripped back and if we got more Thinking Of You's and Daisies, I wouldn't be mad. 

This album isn't even bad... witness wasn't even bad... maybe it's just the katycat in me but I'm enjoying it :nails: 

so anyways my favourites are cry about it later, teary eyes and hih

champagne problems and tucked are cute

not the end of the world sounds like BANKS made a pop song, i love jillian but....

only love is meh imo but it should be a single, sounds like it would do well on the radio. giving me jess glynne :creep: i also feel the same way about high on your supply. speaking in terms of british radio, it sounds like something i'd hear playing on capital and kiss fm all the time

51 minutes ago, partymonster said:

This album isn't even bad... witness wasn't even bad... maybe it's just the katycat in me but I'm enjoying it :nails: 

so anyways my favourites are cry about it later, teary eyes and hih

champagne problems and tucked are cute

not the end of the world sounds like BANKS made a pop song, i love jillian but....

only love is meh imo but it should be a single, sounds like it would do well on the radio. giving me jess glynne :creep: i also feel the same way about high on your supply. speaking in terms of british radio, it sounds like something i'd hear playing on capital and kiss fm all the time

haven't listened yet but to me Witness is her best album to date

37 minutes ago, CinnamonGirl said:

haven't listened yet but to me Witness is her best album to date

I still love prism the most but I've never understood the witness hate

1 hour ago, GroupieLove said:

wait... Not The End of The World is literally Black Widow 2.0... do y'all think Dr Luke ghost-produced it?

photo-19726.gif

i don't think katy would do that since her and kesha are "friends"

I had my listen today, and I gotta admit I liked it better than I expected lol.

I'm going to kill whoever is choosing singles for her. Teary Eyes, Cry About It Later, Not the End of the World and Tucked were definitely better single choices than Never Really Over, Harleys In Hawaii, Small Talk and Daisies. I think the only songs I don't like are What Makes a Woman and Daisies, this last because there's no strong point in the song, it just builds up to get nowhere. But other than that, the album is decent and has some replay values for me.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

Not The End of the World could've been so much more.. Cry About It Later stops at a strange note, like it's missing some rapidfire ad libs (a sim tempo to Gwen's Sweet Escape, cusnow i've been acting like sour milk fell on the floor). 

Teary Eyes, Only Love. What Makes A Woman. High On Your Supply's oddly hypnotizing and authentic. the Message was a nice, sweet gesture. 

Daisies' pretty stabilizing, and of course the singles we got from before already are great.

UV/Honeymoon

not the end of the world and champagne problems should've been the direction the entire record took, the production alone makes them bops

tucked is cute but it so desperately wants to be teenage dream 2.0

resilient sounds like a deep cut off any of her albums it's boring
only love feels like it's gonna explode into something massive but it goes nowhere

tbh she should've just went completely experimental like her attempt to still push out these generic pop singles and regain the gp's admiration after witness makes me quite sad especially since she didn't even bounce back. i wish the album was more cohesive like certain songs fit really well together but as a whole everything is so scattered, that being said NRO is still my favorite off the album it should've been the lead single :toofunny:

i love you, but you don't understand me.

i figured it out. Smile sounds similar to Pendulum, might be the similar drums? 

I don't wanna lie, I really miss her OOTB's sound, and I can hear some of it What Makes a Woman, and Only Love. but idk, the fire's just not- wish it were more upfront. 

It's a nice album, but it does feel like a collection of tracks that she meshed together out of the blue. Which, I get at the end how she had trouble smiling and all that that means, so I feel for her. It's good that her team decided to include the past tracks 

UV/Honeymoon

here goes

1. never really over - i recall this getting pretty lukewarm to negative reviews but i was stoked about this one, and tbh i haven't been a Katy fan almost at all since One of the Boys, which i know some lesbian and bisexual women hate bc of I Kissed A Girl but it really helped me through the last few years of high school and i definitely had a massive crush on Katy at the time. never really over felt like it was about my interest in her as an artist a little bit as well as just being really enjoyable. the chorus is super fun i think bc it feels like it's difficult to say, like a tongue twister, but it's not so hard to learn after a listen or two. i love the vibe of the chorus outside of that, too. i connect to this song a lot in that i've been reconnected with an old love two or three years after a break up and we entered into a relationship again for over a year and so i really connected to the frantic-but-familiar feel of the easy-but-hard-to-learn chorus. love this song. *chef's kiss* 

2. cry about it later - i think this one will grow on me bc i like all the individual elements. it really speaks to my former party girl, the lyrics talk about having fun but it's really dark, along the lines of Tove Lo's Habits, but that's just it. it's just pretty generic. but i'll definitely add it to my 'relive my self-destructive years' playlist! 

3. teary eyes - songs like these are pretty much why i tapped out of being a Katy fan eventually. the first reason is it felt like it took decades between OOTB and TD but also bc it felt like Katy was in training to be P!NK after TD. she's the early 30s to middle aged woman hype woman and while I have no issue with this, it doesn't appeal to me (i'm just now rounding out 28). teary eyes sounds like this, and what with daisies being next i'm hoping these are the only 2 with this kinda feel but somehow i doubt it.

4. daisies - despite the shit talk, i actually REALLY like daises. her vocals are enjoyable and it feels really epic, and i love that. this doesn't really feel like a 30-something-hype song so much as your average self-esteem anthem for any ages. it's a little bit 30-something but far more relateable than some similar songs.

5. resilient - P!NK Jr. i almost fell asleep.

6. not the end of the world - wow, i actually really love this one. it's a little generic like the rest of the tracks but i really do love songs that sound like they'd make a great addition to a dystopian society teen movie soundtrack. i'm positive that's not what Katy was going for and i have a feeling this album is channeling emotions she felt during her Witness era, which was considered a flop to my knowledge. imo Swish Swish and Bon Appetit and the others i heard were just garbage and i know she experienced some embarrassment over a live event, etc. the ending is a lil corny tho, and this song also just straight up sounds like an scrapped song. it doesn't fit the album at ALL and i feel like it's just justification to call the album Smile (the frown upsidedown line etc) and give it a theme. this should be a song shared among the fans, maybe one the fans obsess over and beg her to release, similar to Charli XCX's fan fave Taxi. but it feels totally out of place on this or really any other Katy Perry album. 

7. smile - the title track is the next song trying to convince the world that Katy is over her flop-era, i feel like. i don't really buy it. i don't think a bad album and a few awkward moments warrant a cancelation but that being said i also don't feel like her awkward era warrants this. 

8. champagne problems - i wanted to love this so goddamn bad. the title is amazing and if i had a myspace or an AIM account (old folks will know what i'm talkin about), i'd change every possible username to 'champagne problems' the SECOND i saw that song name. but it's just boring and even after restarting it 3 or 4 times, my mind kept wandering. 

9. tucked - so Dua Lipa does this sound way better than what Katy is going for here and i wish it had been produced differently but that being said, this one's okay. the part around 2:30 also sounds like a Billie Eilish or Lorde Supercut swag-jack but i don't hold that 5 second part against her. it was a little too heavy but i didn't hate it. 

10. harleys in hawaii - i loooooove this song! it's an incredible summer cruise or makeout/sexytime song. if this song had come out when i was 17, i'd have added it to my playlist of songs for when my boyfriend and i would fool around and not wanna be heard, then i'd throw it on in the car with our friends just to secretly remind him of our intimate moments. it feels very diverse in that if the production was different it could be a Lady Gaga song, or it could be a Lana Del Rey song. it's nice bc it glamorizes a situation i've never experienced but it's also strangely the most mainstream and relateable. 

11. only love - i knew i'd hate this one. first line makes it sound like a RENT knockoff song which i also hate. endlessly positive songs just irk me. 

12. what makes a woman - this one, like another user said, feels like OOTB Katy a little bit but it also sounds a bit like songs on Kesha's Rainbow. it's also just jumping on the girlpower trend. i'm here for feminist pop music but there's just something about this one i don't love. 

13. high on your supply - this one is just not great. i'm not sure why it was added as a deluxe track. it feels all over the place but maybe i need another listen. 

14. voice memo - why. just why. this is so weird. Taylor Swift does voice memos, is this what she THOUGHT she was doing? it's so cringeworthy i barely listened to a minute of it. her forcing being choked up while thanking her fans was just so... wow. almost ruined the few highlights of not only this album but her entire career. no one needed this. i can't believe she charged her fans for this. ouch.