Sign in to follow this  
baddisease

Tyler, the Creator Confirms None of His Music Will Be Released Posthumously

During a performance at The El Rey in Los Angeles, Tyler, The Creator told the crowd that none of his music will be released following his death. In fact, to avoid what has happened to late rappers such as Juice WRLD and Pop Smoke, he says he has written it into his will.

“Some of these [songs] are so good I just can’t let them sit on my hard drive,” Tyler told the crowd. “Because I have in my will that if I die, they can’t put no post album out. That’s f***ing gross. Like, some random features on it with somebody I didn’t f**k with? No.”

A number of artists have voiced the same sentiment in the last few years including Anderson .Paak, who got a tattoo with the text: “When I’m gone, please don’t release any posthumous albums or songs with my name attached. Those were just demos and never intended to be heard by the public,” on his forearm.

Catch a breakdown of Tyler, the Creator’s intimate “The Estate Show” in which he performed his recently-released  Call Me If You Get Lost: The Estate Sale deluxe album here.

In other news, Four Tet follows up Coachella set with release of 8-minute single “Three Drums.”

Tyler, the Creator Confirms None of His Music Will Be Released Posthumously | Hypebeast

giphy.gif

A lot of artists have probably done this but haven’t been public about it, I wonder who? 

Also I wouldn’t put it past certain people in the industry to find a loophole and still monetise the tracks in some shape or form :(

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

good for him, post-humous releases can often be exploitive, the artist isn't around to make decisions regarding the music, especially when it comes to post-humous collabs or old demos

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

There's something very interesting about the idea of Ego and Artistry envolved within these concepts. Like, no I totally get it; you want control about what the public hears and knows about you and so on. At same time... you're gone. It won't change a thing.

I know it sounds fuckup too but like... labels and Estates will label and estate. Of course there are many implications like these Michael Jackson tracks that people aren't sure it's actually he singing, and with the A.I. era we're entering... it's gloomy. But I don't know.

I'd let the fans have it and people make money. It won't really matter. lol.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe that a will can change a contract made during someone's life. So if their record contract allows for posthumous releases, the best they can do is let fans know they shouldn't support any such releases. Or even better, make sure that your contracts are explicit and don't allow it, before you sign them.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Im usually pretty much on board with the concept of not releasing someone’s music after they’re dead… unless they died abruptly and the fans know that they were making a new album. On that case, you want to hear what was recorded, but I guess that many labels would want to make the most of it, by including songs or demos or « reworks » that weren’t meant for the project to have a full LP to sell (rather than, perhaps, an EP of original songs).:pft:

this is the right thing to do. its been INCREDIBLY disturbing to see how many famous musicians families abuse that power. so many of their families and teams are profiting off of them after they die and its just disgusting. im alwayssss in support of artists doing that. 

if it leaks, fine. but i hate to see people profit off a dead artist. its beyond wrong