barttttender

Will Lana have a solo hit on Billboard 100 again?

Hi guys,

I was just looking at Lana's Billboard 100 history, and noticed something... not great.

Her last entry as a solo artist on the chart was back in 2009 (Doin' Time).  Since then, we've seen her there but only with collabs (Don't Call Me Angel and Snow on the Beach).

Chemtrails, Blue Banisters nor Ocean Boulevard charted, which means her last three albums didn't have a hit. 

Do you think this will change any time soon? And do you think America is closing the doors on her as she's hitting the age of 40?

What's your take?

28 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Do you think this will change any time soon? And do you think America is closing the doors on her as she's hitting the age of 40?

I'm not sure it's about age I think it's about lots of things including the significant change in music style..

I see YTH charting, I also think this tour is going to be really good for her in the sense of reminding her of how fun touring is and like.. that music can be fun. And doesn't have to be about heavy karmic topics (inb4 the quotes I'm not shitting on the heavier music I'm obsessed with it but I also acknowledge that less people will like it)

If she wanted to chart, she could. YTH, Serial Killer, QOD, these are TikTok hits that would do as well outside of the social media and I'm sure her team knows it, she'll be fine. She's making music for herself, not charts, like I don't see her caring about that at all, considering the very strong connection she has with her fans. 

didn’t that illegal upload of QOD in 2020 have enough streams to go #1 at some point? 

Lana is so successful on streaming services, physically and on social media. Billboard hot 100 really means nothing. Like seriously, I bet you cant sing a line from 80% of the tracks on there 

Californ-I-A homeland of the Gods

Once I found my way

But now I am lost

I think there are two types of artists. One has a few hits but weak albums, the other tries to produce good albums, means that as many songs as possible sound good there and none stands out exceptionally (to be a chart hit). Lana definitely belongs to the latter, if a song should end up in the Top100, it would probably be more of a coincidence.

Lana has never been a singles artist but she could definitely chart on the lower half for a week if she released on a friday just based on streams (even though the numbers are smaller than they look like cause only US streams count for Billboard Hot 100 and only a fraction of those came from there cause she's luckily not just a local artist).

She doesn't get radio and people don't really buy her singles so I don't think she'll have any real hits but the focus has always been on the albums anyway and they do great :true:

giphy.gif

I truly hope that she does get another one eventually. Lana has worked so hard over the years and I'm not saying that her success should be measured by the amount of number 1 hits but she really deserves it after the quality of work she has been putting out. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter though,  because it doesn't change the listening experience while listening to her music. 

I honestly feel like she just doesn’t care. If she wanted to she could, but she don’t. She knows how to write hit songs, she has dozens of unreleased potential hit songs. She’s just interested in another type of music nowadays. Though I personally believe that after peppers, A&W, and taco truck she might dip in there again. She had a lot of things to say and get off her chest, she has now

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

4 hours ago, barttttender said:

What's your take?

Oh... that's the question for the culture I guess... :awkney:

Lana-Del-Rey-Burning-desire-gif-lana-del
I drive fast, wind in my hair, I push you to the limits 'cause I just don't care

btw at this point shouldn't we worry more about Candy Necklace music video?? and PURIFY LEAK. Let's manifest that. :nails:

Lana-Del-Rey-Burning-desire-gif-lana-del
I drive fast, wind in my hair, I push you to the limits 'cause I just don't care