Sign in to follow this  
LBcita

Lana owning her masters

Rarely discussed but something I'd like to talk about is Lana owning her master recording rights and licensing them to Interscope/Polydor for her entire career...

Lana Ben and Ed were truly each other's dream team and special credit to them for buying her out of her old label and getting the rights to AKA because it seemed to teach her an important lesson when she signed with Interscope...I'd just like to bask in her win

It also makes me wonder about the resulting wealth that comes from owning those recordings AND having songwriting publishing rights...especially when she can still do 87,000 US pure sales in debut week in 2023 and 58,500 of those were $40 vinyls...the royalties have to be insane

She's backed off the gaudy displays of wealth in recent years but even just a quick look at her real estate portfolio (neighborhood names withheld) shows she's doing quite nicely and I imagine there's a nice lump sum of cash she hasn't spent

Compound Homes Lots 1&2 - purchase price $5.87 million

High by the Beach House - sold for $3.2 million

Tudor style house - purchase price $2.5 million

Vintage cabin - purchase price $1.17 million

Anyways thoughts or speculations on either point welcome

2 minutes ago, BartenderDeco said:

imagine a world where she didn’t own her masters and her bestie taylor convinced her to re-record all her albums WITH VAULT SONGS:defeated:

all the songs would go from pink champagne to let me love you like a woman, if u get me:smokes:

I think trying to figure out the net worth of celebrities is almost always going to be off the mark. For example, Lana sold that HBTB house for 3.2millUSD in 2018. We don't know what she did with that money. If she'd put it all in Apple stock, it would currently be worth 12.2millionUSD. And I don't think, unless she were to report that herself to Forbes (as some celebrities do), any of her published net worths would accurately reflect that. 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

1 hour ago, LBcita said:

Lana owning her master recording rights and licensing them to Interscope/Polydor for her entire career...

The songs are licensed to the label, But as for the master recording I’d be shocked if she actually owns those.

In fact I thought, I may be wrong though - I thought Born To Die’s masters were sold like a year prior to that red Target pressing?

IMG-3521.jpg

1 hour ago, epitome said:

The songs are licensed to the label, But as for the master recording I’d be shocked if she actually owns those.

In fact I thought, I may be wrong though - I thought Born To Die’s masters were sold like a year prior to that red Target pressing?

I highly doubt they'd do that to one of the biggest albums ever tbh

We would be in a Taylor situation

2 hours ago, Ultraviolencez said:

all the songs would go from pink champagne to let me love you like a woman, if u get me:smokes:

Taylor's re-recordings are typically boring and inferior to the original versions… I know Swifties will eat up anything she puts out but I hope Lana wouldn't go down a similar route with her albums.

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

6 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

Taylor's re-recordings are typically boring and inferior to the original versions… I know Swifties will eat up anything she puts out but I hope Lana wouldn't go down a similar route with her albums.

I mean say yes to heaven was kinda Lanas version and I prefer the leaks…

1 hour ago, PARADIXO said:

I highly doubt they'd do that to one of the biggest albums ever tbh

We would be in a Taylor situation

Considering I can’t find where I read it, I won’t claim that universal sale being true.

”though in my mind I thought it was her work Pre LFL in that particular case”

But the whole owning masters thing is

NOT really a thing in the industry.

Taylor, Yes I realize Scooter is a horrible person - But the cost to buy those masters would’ve probably been about half her net worth at the time.

I mean she still gets the majority of royalties from those records, She got Very rich from her time at Big Machine.

I realize she worked hard for that money, But a label does a lot of work breaking an artist.

The whole I want to own everything I do/control EVERYthing is a tiring topic in the music industry, If you can - and be successful, more power to you. But it’s just not realistic…

IMG-3521.jpg

11 hours ago, BartenderDeco said:

imagine a world where she didn’t own her masters and her bestie taylor convinced her to re-record all her albums WITH VAULT SONGS:defeated:

Bel Air feat. Ice Spice

Margaret (feat. Less Bleachers)

32 minutes ago, MrFameKills said:

Bel Air feat. Ice Spice

Margaret (feat. Less Bleachers)

he said he wanna take me somewhere

and now i’m in bel air

he wanna take me there

so i take off my underwear

grah

he a millionaire 

i ain’t have to worry about a fare

grah 

it’s me and lana del rey

making a joint slay

grah

2 baddies shaking ass

we both fly first class 

get yourself a bel air man

if you want the riches and the brands

grah

Yeah I always thought it was interesting that the album copyrights on streaming services are attributed to her name with licensing rights to her labels. I feel like that’s pretty unheard of, especially for a major label artist.

Though one thing that sticks out to me is her song catalog on PPL UK Repertoire. If you look at the “recording rightsholder” column of her songs, they all say Universal Music Group.

Though shouldn’t it be under her name if she owns them? For example, Serial Killer is one of the songs that come up and it’s recording rightsholder is Peter Ibsen understandably. There’s also that time Dan mentioned how the label threatened to pull the funding for their UV sessions at one point so they definitely have to have some stake in it.

She's an artist who runs after money, she's certainly very rich from her actions, her albums, the success she generates around her person, but not as much as one might think.

The houses bought are "cheap" compared to the average Hollywood artist, she must have a good fortune of around 30 million dollars but does not spend as much as one would think because she does not need more than her daily life.

I've seen quite a few artists complain about streaming services because it's very poorly paid, artists usually make their living touring, headlining and Lana does them all. I'm sure she is paid between 300K and 500K dollars (see 1M for the biggest festivals) per headlining show.

I can't think of what she loses too. The unreleased are songs and lost wages for a majority.

When she has her music, her films stolen. She is not credited for many things and I sincerely think that if she wanted to, she would become very very rich.

I can't imagine if she launched a brand of vintage clothing, jewelry, shoes, makeup, paintings, unpublished photos and videos, documentaries, unpublished songs, Lizzy Grant in limited edition, NFT, auctions, poems in limited copies, biopic, museums, exhibitions, appearances... She has gold in her hands but I think it's worthy that she doesn't sell herself like a vulgar advertisement, she doesn't care.

im a bit of a geek about finances and i’d love to know how much money lana makes a year :oic2: its so interesting to me. i also admire how smart and strong she is and definitely a big shoutout to ben and ed for saving her and teaching her how to take ownership of her art

5 minutes ago, mlittle11 said:

im a bit of a geek about finances and i’d love to know how much money lana makes a year :oic2: its so interesting to me. i also admire how smart and strong she is and definitely a big shoutout to ben and ed for saving her and teaching her how to take ownership of her art

queen pls help me do my taxes