Guest Zephyr

Madonna

I finally got to see my ultimate fave live for the first time last night. :legend:

We had 2nd Row seats along the left side of the "outer triangle," which was where she seemed to do the very best parts of the show! Well worth the wait, especially since she did my two "wishlist" songs that I've waited for YEARS to see ("Express Yourself" and "Open Your Heart"). The new songs really came to life, too, especially a stripped-down version of "Love Spent" and (somewhat surprisingly) GMAYL.

LanaLogo-e1328412462487.png

iamamiwhoami purity ring jessie ware grimes twin shadow

I've been a Madonna fan since 1986, and seen her a ton of times. Had the pleasure of meeting her a few times too; she's a true performer though her current single releases are bizarre choices...

See my collection of Madonna ticket stubs here. (alphabetical) http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.26664847062.47919.702417062&type=1&l=f2dff78006

And my HMV photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150153925927063.293347.702417062&type=1&l=81d5514fe6

And Girlie Show photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150154002862063.293359.702417062&type=1&l=80ec7fbd98

I am currently looking for my Golden Triangle wristband from the first Berlin show... I know that it's somewhere, but I really don't know where. Seeing Madonna so closely this year was an awesome experience. This was the third time for me seeing her live. I have seen the Re-Invention Tour and the Confessions Tour, safely on a seat far far away, but I got rewarded for that cancelled Hamburg show of the Sticky & Sweet Tout by winning access to the Golden Triangle. I still can't believe it. She is so beautiful. :O

I don't know why I didn't write about my Madonna appreciation yet. I love Madonna. Not only love her but I respect her a lot. Madonna is extremely successful in Brazil still and from my knowledge around the globe too. Is just easy to talk about where you live since you can see, in this case hear, the material flying around. Is fair to say that even her old songs get some relevant radio time here. Even night clubs play her quite a lot (mostly remixes of course). Madonna herself fascinates me more than her music tbh. I like to understand mechanisms since I am very young. I was the type of kid who would open up remote controls, watches, toys...not to break them but to see how they work, how all those pieces come together. I am still like that and in all sort of areas. And looking at Madonnas career and life I found her quite fascinating. My fascination is concentrated on how creative and smart she is. Most artists settle after a while. From rock bands to pop artists after a while they relay their tours in old success sets. Madonna doesn't settle. She makes new albuns and different tours.  Madonna still does the soundcheck of every single performance. You don't even notice the fact that she isn't the best dancer  she gives you the ilusion she is the best because she rehearses her routine to perfection. Is another quality I admire on her. Madonna is not afraid of hard work and that is very rare in artists. By hard work I mean going to the stage and knowing every single element that makes all that mechanism work. From lightining to sound. Is learning about music and everything that involves it. She study and learned how the industry worked inside out. She understood the mechanism, the game and took advantege of it. She also understands people and is very aware of the world. Combined with her huge creative capacity that lead her to be relevant until today. I think Madonna is a great student. A student of her own time, the time she is living in. Her causes changes, her speech changes, her clothes, her songs, her beats, everything really. And she manages to change and still be the same which is remarkable to me. Songs like Express Yourself, Vogue, Like a Prayer,La Isla Bonita, Like a Virgin, American Pie and so many more are timeless. When the industry started to go a little against the techno wave Madonna release Ray of Light. Once again she didn't go against the changes around her she did her version of it, she became a part of it. This was before super DJ's like Guetta. If you like her songs or not is another deal but you can't deny that Madonna is pure Pop. What is popular in the moment she finds a way to get to it and be ahead of it. She is almost 55 years old. I got to her concert of the MDNA tour in Rio late 2012 and her energy is amazing. A packed arena with 45.000 people singing from the beggining to the end of the show. When some musics of the MDNA tour didn't light up the crowd Madonna's doesn't wine she just sings Like a Prayer and the crowd goes crazy and she gets back in control. Is fair to say also that her concert attracts 3 different generations. Was not a festival so those 3 generations were there to see her and only her. During the 80' and 90' she really pushed the envelope. With her videos, her lyrics and sharp speech. Some will say she is arrogant which she might be from time to time but she is creative in her arrogance. She is not even arrogante for the same things even that changes just like the world that surrounds her. I doubt that any pop artist today will have Madonna's career. I am not talking about money, Grammy's and records. I am talking about the end deal which to me is being able to pack Arenas of 60.000 around the globe with people atending from 3 different generations. It takes a lot of work, brains, smart and sometimes tuff choices to get where Madonna got. She can be a Diva in a hotel room, in a press conference, in awards ceremony, interviews and restaurants. But when it comes to the thing that she actually is which is being an entertainner for some and and artist for others Madonna is a working ethical bee in her prime. Does her own soundcheck, produces her music, learned how to play instruments, hired the best vocal and dance trainers and rehearses tirelessly so everything is perfect for those who pay to watch her. Madonna works hard and is insaly creative, reinvents herself all the time. Is admirable her energy and also business skills. She was probably not born with all the skills of a great baillarina or singer but she learned them all. Learned to the point that she is a master in all of them. That to me is respect for her public, for her profession and for herself. And I really respect that. Her movie career is not remarkable but she tries anyway in other directions. I like W.E and you have to have balls to invest a lot of your own money in such project when you have failed before in the movie business. And Madonna did it and was quite a good movie. I like people like her who are not afraid of trying different things, who knows about the subject they are doing and talking about. That are not just puppets dancing and singing on the stage. I love that she never refers to herself as an artist and puts herself in a pedestal of art like she is Michelangelo or something. I love that she is 55 and releasing a new album.

glgcDdT.gif

I agree with everything except for one thing. And I couldn't disagree more here: dancing.

Madonna is a classically trained dancer. She did it all. Ballet, modern dance, jazz dance. She knows what she's doing. She is able to tear a choreography apart into its very essential fragments and judge like a professional, because that's what she is. And it shows. Her dancing is incredible. You've got to see it with your own eyes. Britney, God bless her, is nowhere where Madonna is as a dancer. I have seen her too and don't recall ever seeing somebody dance with this low motivation and grace. Really, I felt embarrassed for her watching what she was doing. The thing is, Britney was a great dancer, but look at her now. And look at Madonna, too: nothing has changed for her.

Oh, and she has referred to herself as une artiste at least a billion times in the course of the past decade.

I agree with everything except for one thing.

And I could disagree more here: dancing. Madonna is a trained dancer. She did it all. Ballet, modern dance, jazz dance. She knows what she's doing. And it shows. Her dancing is incredible. You've got to see it with your own eyes. Britney, God bless her, is nowhere where Madonna is as a dance. I have seen her too and don't recall ever seeing somebody dance that low motivation and grace. Really, I felt embarrassed for her watching what she was doing. The thing is, Britney was a great dancer, but look at her now. And look at Madonna, too: nothing has changed for her.

I totally agree with you. That was actually one of my points. But my rumbling was so long that one can easily get lost in the middle of it. What I said, or tried to say,  was that Britney probably was born with more natural dance skills. I never said she was a better dancer than Madonna. Like you said Madonna is a trained dancer , modern and classical dancer. That is the thing. Madonna is the most persevering pop artist out there whatever it takes to give the best show she will learn it and do it. And I honestly think she is incredibly smart and creative. ABout Britney...well truth is Britney's brain doesn't work like ours does it? She is probably (almost certainly)  bipolar. And I think her case is one of those extreme cases. I see Britney like a fighter and honestly I think is remarkable that she can be functional. I don't think Britney will ever be like old times Britney but not because she is lazy, or stupided or dumb but because she is not stable and today she is more like a kid that needs to have someone to take care of some basic stuff for her. That must be really hard because I think britney is aware of that which is probably worse that not haven a clue and being an absolute cuckoos nest. I love Britney but you are absolutely right when you say she is not even close to where Madonna is.

glgcDdT.gif

I totally agree with you. That was actually one of my points. But my rumbling was so long that one can easily get lost in the middle of it. What I said, or tried to say,  was that Britney probably was born with more natural dance skills. I never said she was a better dancer than Madonna. Like you said Madonna is a trained dancer , modern and classical dancer. That is the thing. Madonna is the most persevering pop artist out there whatever it takes to give the best show she will learn it and do it. And I honestly think she is incredibly smart and creative. ABout Britney...well truth is Britney's brain doesn't work like ours does it? She is probably (almost certainly)  bipolar. And I think her case is one of those extreme cases. I see Britney like a fighter and honestly I think is remarkable that she can be functional. I don't think Britney will ever be like old times Britney but not because she is lazy, or stupided or dumb but because she is not stable and today she is more like a kid that needs to have someone to take care of some basic stuff for her. That must be really hard because I think britney is aware of that which is probably worse that not haven a clue and being an absolute cuckoos nest. I love Britney but you are absolutely right when you say she is not even close to where Madonna is.

I can't even say exactly what it is that you said about Britney because now edited the post. I don't mean to be the pissy Madonna fan that's like "What do you know?  :biblio: " but just for the sake of you understanding the mechanisms and the way she works, I advise you to read a little more about her. Not necessarily the infamous biographies by Carol Clerk or J. R. Taraborrelli, but more critical works such as the biography by Lucy O'Brian which is well-written and the most accurate book in terms of names and numbers you will find to this day.

What you said about Madonna and her ability to change, her impact and whatnot, that's all true. But it only applies to the past. She was that. She's not anymore. Her methods don't work out anymore. She's a superstar from another time, literally, and whatever it is that made her an icon, it doesn't keep her on top anymore. In fact, she struggles with being an artist in the 21st century. The internet makes it impossible for her to pick up on underground movements to commercialize them. She is now jumping onto the bandwagon because all happens too quickly. She strictly denies to participate in the common celebrity online culture. It's a wonder she joined Instagram and does now post regularly. 

And may I ask you for something else? Paragraphs. Really, it would make your posts so much more clear and easier to follow. But the way it is now, it's just one big mass of text that I can hardly follow.

I can't even say exactly what it is that you said about Britney because now edited the post. I don't mean to be the pissy Madonna fan that's like "What do you know?  :biblio: " but just for the sake of you understanding the mechanisms and the way she works, I advise you to read a little more about her. Not necessarily the infamous biographies by Carol Clerk or J. R. Taraborrelli, but more critical works such as the biography by Lucy O'Brian which is well-written and the most accurate book in terms of names and numbers you will find to this day.

What you said about Madonna and her ability to change, her impact and whatnot, that's all true. But it only applies to the past. She was that. She's not anymore. Her methods don't work out anymore. She's a superstar from another time, literally, and whatever it is that made her an icon, it doesn't keep her on top anymore. In fact, she struggles with being an artist in the 21st century. The internet makes it impossible for her to pick up on underground movements to commercialize them. She is now jumping onto the bandwagon because all happens too quickly. She strictly denies to participate in the common celebrity online culture. It's a wonder she joined Instagram and does now post regularly. 

And may I ask you for something else? Paragraphs. Really, it would make your posts so much more clear and easier to follow. But the way it is now, it's just one big mass of text that I can hardly follow.

Not really sure how to answer this....

glgcDdT.gif

- Yes you sound like a Madonna pissy fan saying you had read all the books about her and I probably didnt so you advise me to read them. By the way I hardly find the Carol Clerk Bio infamous. I started reading it a while ago and I didnt finish and I would be lying if I said I will ever read a Madonna Bio. What I said was an opinion which didnt require a Bio reading in anyway.

What you said about Madonna and her ability to change, her impact and whatnot, that's all true. But it only applies to the past. She was that. She's not anymore. Her methods don't work out anymore. She's a superstar from another time, literally, and whatever it is that made her an icon, it doesn't keep her on top anymore. In fact, she struggles with being an artist in the 21st century.

Her tour was sold out. A tour from a flop album. A tour from a album with musics that barely played in the radio. She still manages to be more relevant than most artists. Also was one of the most profitable tours of 2012.

The internet makes it impossible for her to pick up on underground movements to commercialize them. She is now jumping onto the bandwagon because all happens too quickly. She strictly denies to participate in the common celebrity online culture. It's a wonder she joined Instagram and does now post regularly. 

Like I said I don't think is wonder she joined. She just did it when time of need came. Undergrounds movements are dead. With the internet and all that came with it (twitter, facebook, blogs and all)  such movements are underground for a week. If the movement is catchy goes viral very fast. She didn't joy the net because until she released something new didn't need to join. If she had a message to deliver she just books herself in some famous show and says some "infamous quotes" and delivers her message. Aka Reductive.  Music is also a representation, a expression of our time. If her music failed to transmite or create relevant discussion of what she was trying to express she did what any smart person would do: did her speech through images. Aka the image that was superimposed over the forehead of Marine Le Pen as part of a montage that also showed Madonna with a Hitler mustache. That single image was talked about for ages not only in gossip sites but in newspapers. No need to twitt about it. ANd yes that was 21 century and relevant a lot more relevant today that old news equality or sex with a winp speech.

You may ask me for anything. But first may I say that the way you express yourself makes you sound rude?

glgcDdT.gif

- Yes you sound like a Madonna pissy fan saying you had read all the books about her and I probably didnt so you advise me to read them. By the way I hardly find the Carol Clerk Bio infamous. I started reading it a while ago and I didnt finish and I would be lying if I said I will ever read a Madonna Bio. What I said was an opinion which didnt require a Bio reading in anyway.

Well, those books are infamous. However, I was suggesting you things for further reading because you seemed interested. You are free to have your opinion but further reading might be useful when things you said are factually incorrect, which they were. 

Her tour was sold out. A tour from a flop album. A tour from a album with musics that barely played in the radio. She still manages to be more relevant than most artists. Also was one of the most profitable tours of 2012.

Don't even try to defend Madonna in front of me. There literally is no point in it. Also, I know the ticket prices and I paid for it. I absolutely love Madonna, but it really is no surprise she made this one of the most profitable tours of 2012. 

Like I said I don't think is wonder she joined. She just did it when time of need came. Undergrounds movements are dead. With the internet and all that came with it (twitter, facebook, blogs and all)  such movements are underground for a week. If the movement is catchy goes viral very fast. She didn't joy the net because until she released something new didn't need to join. If she had a message to deliver she just books herself in some famous show and says some "infamous quotes" and delivers her message. Aka Reductive.  Music is also a representation, a expression of our time. If her music failed to transmite or create relevant discussion of what she was trying to express she did what any smart person would do: did her speech through images. Aka the image that was superimposed over the forehead of Marine Le Pen as part of a montage that also showed Madonna with a Hitler mustache. That single image was talked about for ages not only in gossip sites but in newspapers. No need to twitt about it. ANd yes that was 21 century and relevant a lot more relevant today that old news equality or sex with a winp speech.

First of all, I wasn't even addressing you with anything I said about her methods not working out. But oh well, as you want. 

Also, she doesn't book herself into some show. It's Guy Oseary - "the oh-so hated manager that does everything wrong" - who pushes her to do TV appearances. She couldn't care less about any of that. None of her touring incidents, which received quite some media attention, compare to the impact she has had before in the media. I was referring to her work as a recording artist. It just doesn't work out anymore. It's her usual following that buys her records. She does land headlines while on tour, no doubt about that, but this is in no relation to her statements made with an album. Not a tour. 

She is a megastar, an icon, from another time. She is the same. But the business has changed. She knows the music business from her days. However, she is out of touch with how things work nowadays. Yet she tries to make it with her old standards and the commercial failure of MDNA and its modest critical reception pretty much prove that. Look at modern day artists: they do sell records. Madonna, being extremely opposed to the internet, held her albums back until 2006 to be released on iTunes. Again it was Oseary who convinced her that this was the right thing to do.

You may ask me for anything. But first may I say that the way you express yourself makes you sound rude?

I was suggesting you to add paragraphs to your text(s) because it would make them easier to understand. If that makes me rude, I am all for it. It was all for the sake of making your posts easier to follow since they do have substance and a lot of content. However, this is hard to see when it's just sentence after sentence after sentence and one big block of text. 

Well, those books are infamous. However, I was suggesting you things for further reading because you seemed interested. You are free to have your opinion but further reading might be useful when things you said are factually incorrect, which they were.

What facts are incorrect may I ask?

Don't even try to defend Madonna in front of me. There literally is no point in it. Also, I know the ticket prices and I paid for it. I absolutely love Madonna, but it really is no surprise she made this one of the most profitable tours of 2012.

Her concert ticket was cheaper than Lady Gaga and Rihanna. She just sold out all of them. Was more expensive than Katy Perry tho. Was the same price as Cold Play. I can't talk about prices all over the world because I don't know how much the tickests cost in each country. But I think her concert is not more expensive than Gaga's or Rihannas and bands like Muse and Cold Play.

First of all, I wasn't even addressing you with anything I said about her methods not working out. But oh well, as you want.

Also, she doesn't book herself into some show. It's Guy Oseary - "the oh-so hated manager that does everything wrong" - who pushes her to do TV appearances. She couldn't care less about any of that. None of her touring incidents, which received quite some media attention, compare to the impact she has had before in the media. I was referring to her work as a recording artist. It just doesn't work out anymore. It's her usual following that buys her records. She does land headlines while on tour, no doubt about that, but this is in no relation to her statements made with an album. Not a tour.

I don't get what exactly you are referring to when you say methods. I never mention any tour accident like a way or mkt. Like her ass and nipples which I imagine is what you are referring as tour accidents. Those are silly things that all pop female artits do. I mention the images on her show and those images on the screen are part of the concert. She talked about the reason why she uses such images and the reactions she expect them to create n a interview she gave to a brazilian news show before her concert here.

Actually if you like to see I put the interview under the spoiler. Is a interesting interview. Not with anything that hadn't be said before but interesting anyway.

She is a megastar, an icon, from another time. She is the same. But the business has changed. She knows the music business from her days. However, she is out of touch with how things work nowadays. Yet she tries to make it with her old standards and the commercial failure of MDNA and its modest critical reception pretty much prove that. Look at modern day artists: they do sell records. Madonna, being extremely opposed to the internet, held her albums back until 2006 to be released on iTunes. Again it was Oseary who convinced her that this was the right thing to do.

21 sold more than 25 million copies. Adele doesn't tweet, doesn't have a instagram or facebook account. MDNA didn't have big sales because was a shitty album tbh. Madonna could have tweeted about MDNA night and day that would still be a shitty album. I say this with love sometimes the material sucks and in her discography MDNA will be just a bump in the road. Agree that she did hold back when the subject is digitals but truth is that she didn't need Itunes sales. Until 2006 her sales in CD's was quite good. Off course her team must be also part of her business success and sucess as an artist. No one can see all the angles all the time and do everything by themselves.

15 years ago was released Ray Of Light known as the album who launched eletronic music in the mainstream ( I was 2....god she is old...lol). Confessions on a Dance Floor was released in 2005 and Hard Candy in 2008. The last 2 ones are recent since is the beggining of 2013. Hard Candy was only 5 years ago and was a successful album and tour. So I can't see Madonna not being an artist from this time and not being able to adapt and be inovative. MDNA was a flop because the songs were not catchy or any good.

I stand by my statement that a few artists knows how to sell albuns like Madonna and be as inovative as she is. Maybe if her next album is terrible I will get another point of view but for now I think MDNA was an exception and not a reflexion of what will be the future of her music career.

glgcDdT.gif

Actually if you like to see I put the interview under the spoiler. Is a interesting interview. Not with anything that hadn't be said before but interesting anyway.

Thank you, I have seen this along with all the other interviews she did around the world. 

15 years ago was released Ray Of Light known as the album who launched eletronic music in the mainstream ( I was 2....god she is old...lol).

I'm gonna leave it to this. Really, I am done here. 

All I will say is read more of you really want to know things about her. If you wish to repeat the same "She's an icon" crap that gets spread everywhere in the media, fine. 

Thank you, I have seen this along with all the other interviews she did around the world. 

I'm gonna leave it to this. Really, I am done here. 

All I will say is read more of you really want to know things about her. If you wish to repeat the same "She's an icon" crap that gets spread everywhere in the media, fine. 

You can have your opinion Duke is your right. And is not more or less valide than mine. That is all ok is called making an argument to estabilish your point.

But when you cut my sentence in half to show your point is just miss quoting me and using half a sentence to create an argument that doesnt exist. I think you are an inteligent person that doesnt need to do that. In case you didn't notice I respond over your text because I didn't want to change your thoughts making them fit what I was trying to say. I didn't do that because people who do it annoy me a lot.

I said Ray of Light was released 15 years ago yes. But I also said Confessions on the Dance Floor in 2005 and Hard Candy was released 2008. Both successful albuns. The numbers are there. The sales are there. She doesn't even have to buy  twitter followers because she doesn't even have a twitter. I never said that she will remain on top forever. I don't know that no one knows that. But today the numbers are there. Hard Candy was a successful album and tour released in 2008. MDNA was a flop album with a successful tour released in 2012. I am not the type of person who thinks an artist is as good as his last work. What it counts to me is the package. In my point of view Madonna deserves another chance I won't take away her Icon status because she did a mistake, a flop album with shitty songs. Lets see her next work, what she is going to do, what songs are going to be there.

Saying I should read more about her, that what I said is factually incorrect, that I don't know nothing about her methods and not evolving or even give a base for such afirmartions makes you look dull and not I look like a fool that apparently repeats what the media says.

glgcDdT.gif

You can have your opinion Duke is your right. And is not more or less valide than mine. That is all ok is called making an argument to estabilish your point.

But when you cut my sentence in half to show your point is just miss quoting me and using half a sentence to create an argument that doesnt exist. I think you are an inteligent person that doesnt need to do that. In case you didn't notice I respond over your text because I didn't want to change your thoughts making them fit what I was trying to say. I didn't do that because people who do it annoy me a lot.

I said Ray of Light was released 15 years ago yes. But I also said Confessions on the Dance Floor in 2005 and Hard Candy was released 2008. Both successful albuns. The numbers are there. The sales are there. She doesn't even have to buy  twitter followers because she doesn't even have a twitter. I never said that she will remain on top forever. I don't know that no one knows that. But today the numbers are there. Hard Candy was a successful album and tour released in 2008. MDNA was a flop album with a successful tour released in 2012. I am not the type of person who thinks an artist is as good as his last work. What it counts to me is the package. In my point of view Madonna deserves another chance I won't take away her Icon status because she did a mistake, a flop album with shitty songs. Lets see her next work, what she is going to do, what songs are going to be there.

Saying I should read more about her, that what I said is factually incorrect, that I don't know nothing about her methods and not evolving or even give a base for such afirmartions makes you look dull and not I look like a fool that apparently repeats what the media says.

Once again you don't get what I mean. You claimed that Ray of Light is the album which is [i'm quoting you] "known as the album [which] launched eletronic music in the mainstream." Which is wrong. That is my point. By extended logic this means that it was only in the year 1998 that electronic music could be heard in the mainstream, whatever this mainstream might be. Really, I'm not going to argue from there on. 

Madonna didn't do mistakes. She had her peak. What follows is the slow but save decrease of quality, and the returning celebration of past achievements. And it's happening since Hard Candy. Keep on bringing up your numbers, yes, she will always be a massive touring act. Because of her past achievements, not because of her recent achievements, or rehashes if you will. That's why she focusses on it, she knows that her time as a first class musical act is over. It's not working out. There is a new generation of popstars that are taking the place where she used to be. She is entering the league of the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Cher and thousands of other artists that had their peak, have been revolutionary but - again - have had their peak. Their time as leaders is over. 

Read about her and you will know what I mean. She is tired of the business. She is too old for it. She is a superstar from another time. I cannot but repeat that over and over again. 

I don't want to discuss this anymore. I think you have made a lot of great points, but if you are really interested, read read read about her. Not short media portraits. She is, as you pointed out multiple times, fascinating. But the myth is just a myth. And not reality.