DUKE

Tori Amos

15 minutes ago, expandableclitoris said:

new single from Ocean to Ocean out! reminding me a lot of UtP + ADP

sadly (and unsurprisingly, since the beekeeper was the last tori album i enjoyed) this isn't doing it for me– more of the same acoustic guitar, adult contemporary production that's been boring me to tears these past few eras of hers (there was some of it on the beekeeper too). and the melodies just don't hit for me anymore. still can't wait for the tour that i hope is coming!

aOaIzH2.gif

Have to agree. If the piano and vocals were way up front in the mix it would make all the difference, instead of burying them in layers of soft rock.

She needs to dictate the timing, pauses, breathing, and drama with her instrument and voice. That's her superpower. 

14 hours ago, rightofjupiter said:

sadly (and unsurprisingly, since the beekeeper was the last tori album i enjoyed) this isn't doing it for me– more of the same acoustic guitar, adult contemporary production that's been boring me to tears these past few eras of hers (there was some of it on the beekeeper too). and the melodies just don't hit for me anymore. still can't wait for the tour that i hope is coming!

abnormallly was the last album i enjoyed but just a few tracks... and i have the agree, i need some strong production but i think this track is super cute!

I'm trying to get more into Tori's music. I loved Little Earthquakes.

What are your top three Tori albums?

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, Thunder said:

the first 3 ones, BfP being the first. but some of the people i know like From the Choirgirl Hotel best, specially because of Spark/Black Dove/Shes your cocaine

14 hours ago, alittleparty said:

Agree - Boys For Pele is the masterpiece. You could go into that one and not come out for years.

the interludes, the album cover, the harpsichord banging, the rage... phew. she put her WHOLE pussy into it and it showed

and im afraid i cant even pick a favorite track cause it changes from time to time, its just SO good!

15 hours ago, Thunder said:

the first three, as others have mentioned, are perfection. If you’re an electronic music person from the choirgirl hotel & to Venus and back might be your jam as well. Boys for Pele is imo her masterpiece- there is nothing in the world that sounds like it- baroque, urgent, Wild, beautiful, operatic and unhinged in the most unique ways.

aOaIzH2.gif

On 9/29/2021 at 10:22 PM, Thunder said:

1. From the Choirgirl Hotel

2. Under the Pink

3. Little Earthquakes

I also love most of the songs on The Beekeeper and Native Invader. The general fan favorites seem to be Boys for Pelé and Scarlet’s Walk, and everything after Scarlet’s Walk is generally not given the love that I think it deserves!

Ocean to Ocean is out now!
I listened to the first 5 tracks at midnight but I was so tired I had to go to sleep before I could finish the rest. In spite of that, I really liked the first half and I’m looking forward to discussing with you all!

O2O is definitely more consistent than a lot of her work since the early 2000s but I don’t think it’s as enjoyable as the best moments on some of those albums. “Addition of Light Divided” and “Devil’s Bane” are definitely standout tracks but a few of the others haven’t stuck with me at all yet. Hoping to spend some more time with it and grow to love it :true:

I’ve seen a lot of people on various websites recently talking about how ranking music is dumb and misses the point of art or whatever, but I think it’s a fun way to share opinions on music so here’s my O2O ranking so far.

TIER 1: NEW FAVS

Addition of Light Divided

Devil’s Bane

Swim to New York State

Spies

TIER 2: GOOD SONGS

29 Years

Speaking with Trees

Flowers Burn to Gold 

Birthday Baby

Ocean to Ocean

TIER 3: STILL GOOD BUT HAVENT GROWN ON ME YET
How Glass is Made

Metal Water Wood

Haven’t heard the whole new record yet because I’ve been waiting for a time to give it a good full first listen, but Ive heard the singles and then also addition of light divided and devils bane, and I feel like this album will be very consistent.  

I get the sense that this will feel more cohesive than recent Tori records. 

Abnormally Attracted to Sin is her low point imo (and it’d be hard to make a worse record), and everything since then has been a step in the right direction. UG was leaps and bounds nicer than that, and then NI was a step better than UG was, and I feel like O2O is probably the same step closer towards something truly amazing.

For reference I think everything up to and including scarlets walk are all varying degrees of great, the beekeeper and adp are just ok but I can mostly enjoy them knowing the production choices and some songs are questionable, aats is mostly dreck with like 5 enjoyable tracks (welcome to England, flavor, 500 miles, starling, fast horse), noh is good but I don’t really lump it in with most of her stuff, the holiday album is cheesy and horribly produced and performed but not totally without songcraft merit, gold dust is useless save flavor and snow cherries (and sometimes marianne when I wanna hear the “weasel squeaks” bit with brass), and then the proper albums since then have been a slow but positive upward trajectory 

tori album rank since it’s Halloween and I’ve been drinking 

1. boys for pele

2. scarlets walk

3. under the pink

4. Little earthquakes

5. choirgirl hotel

6. strange little girls 

7. To Venus and back 

8. native invader

9. the beekeeper 

10. American doll posse 

11. unrepentant geraldines