zabuzalana

Sirens - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Sirens  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs from Sirens?

• Drive By
    • Next to Me
    • A Star for Nick
    • My Momma
    • Bad Disease
    • Out with a Bang
    • Dear Elliot (Westbound)
    • Try Tonight
    • Peace
    • How Do You Know Me So Well? (I'm Indebted to You)
    • Pretty Baby
    • Aviation
    • Move (Find My Own Way)
    • Junky Pride
    • Birds of a Feather

Recorded: 2005-2006
Genre: Alternative Folk
Length: 53:08

May-Jailer-Sirens.jpg

What does everybody think of this album? (does she suit folk)

Were their co-writers involved?

This was before Born to die and Lana Del Ray a.k.a Lizzy Grant and in hindsight some have said this album is better. 

"Though her vocals are often weak and shaky, her tone sounds delicate and sweet on all these simple tracks...The]songs are written in her range, so she doesn't have to sing (and sing-talk) in her voice and resort to that cutesy, flirty baby coo so prominent throughout Born To Die."

Some even suggest that the songs are fakes: "Tom Breihan of Stereogum said it was not confirmed whether the tracks were recorded by Del Rey, but if they were not, they were believable fakes"

Is this a ridiculous claim? 

Some even suggest that the songs are fakes: "Tom Breihan of Stereogum said it was not confirmed whether the tracks were recorded by Del Rey, but if they were not, they were believable fakes"

That's bullshit. And what he means there is that there's no solid confirmed and officialy proof but whatever, we stalkers don't need that.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

That's bullshit. And what he means there is that there's no solid confirmed and officialy proof but whatever, we stalkers don't need that.

yeah i disagree with him, it's not even like she was well known back then for people to make fakes, cause these songs have been around for a long time.

yeah i disagree with him, it's not even like she was well known back then for people to make fakes, cause these songs have been around for a long time.

Plus I think she's mentioned she has an album from back then anyway. Plus it's obvious it's her there's no denying it - although she sounds so young you can tell it's her voice and the lyrics are clearly by her. Particually For K :usrs:

I think it was less a ridiculous claim and more an instance of a music "journalist" covering his ass in the absence of any official sourcing. However, aside from the fact that its authenticity is obvious to my ears, the name "May Jailer", the album title Sirens, and the song titles "Junky Pride" and "A Star For Nick", all have solid receipts.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I really like it and think it's beautiful. I get a folk and a little classic country vibe from it. It really suited her.

But the album's sound is somewhat repetitive and probably won't stick to most people at first listen.

:sluttybunny:🌧️

i really only like a couple of songs from sirens, but: "her vocals are often weak and shaky," is pretty much the opposite of my impression of the album. i think her voice sounds amazing and raw on the album. 

a  -  m  -  e  -  r  -  i  -  c  -  a    /    all i wanna do is   p  l  a  y

It's one of my guilty pleasures! I listen to it all the time. I think as a whole it is a bit intimidating, but individually the lyrical content and simplistic production can be refreshing. My favorite tracks are Sirens, Westbound, Out With A Bang, A Star For Nick, and my absolute favorite is Aviation.

tumblr_mjtygmUvm11rtm6dso1_500.png

I like about 5-6 songs from it.

I find some of the songs weird in there, they lack that "epic" quality which the BTD and Paradise stuff has, and even most of her unreleased material.

Still, it's a great first effort :agree:

I really love this album and I probably listen to it more than I listen to BTD now. 

It's so vulnerable and honest and the lyrics are really beautiful. I've always thought her an amazing lyricist, but some of her later song lyrics (mostly in Paradise to be honest) are a bit of a stretch in my opinion, even though I still adore all her songs ("don't treat me rough, treat me really nicies" comes to mind). I also think it's possibly one of the most autobiographical albums she's ever done, 'For K' is one of my absolute favourite songs, and it tells us more about 'K' than any of the later music she made. It obviously touches upon drugs and alcoholism, (Pride, Bad Disease, etc) but in a way that's different from how she addresses it at later points. I just think it's a thoroughly beautiful and telling album. 

tumblr_mjifpjZBSu1rr0bkio2_500.png

I love it as an album and I only listen to it in full, never single songs.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I love it as an album and I only listen to it in full, never single songs.

Me too. But then again, I do the same with all of her albums but particually Sirens.

I do adore it as an album though. There's no denying it's by far the best album lyrically. Junky Pride and A Star For Nick slay everything though.

I love Try Tonight and Out With A Bang.

Confession: When I first downloaded the album, my internet connection was a bit shitty which resulted in some parts of the songs being cut so I deleted them. I never got round to re-downloading those couple of songs. I don't even know which ones I'm missing haha 

20r46kx.jpg

At first I wasn't a massive fan of Sirens but I warmed to it. Whenever I'm in a folk-y mood (most of the time) I'll listen to Sirens. I wonder if this was the music she always wanted to sing, rather than pop, but she knew she would be better off in the long time with pop music hmm maybe 

tumblr_moza5y59Ri1r09ldbo1_400.png ~ataraxia~