lanakissmeinyourchevrolet

Lana's Inspirations & Influences

On 2/19/2014 at 11:59 PM, neuf said:

Her old Myspace listed Elliott Smith, I don't think he's been mentioned.

This should be mentioned more. Love Elliott. But I read somewhere she doesn't like "glamourizing" these kind of deaths, but his death was suspicious so I guess she doesn't like glamourizing suspicious deaths??

HtD and Venice samples CSNY's Our House ("I light the fire" "2 cats in the yard") 

I really think VB and MAC draw inspiration from Mazzy Star's album So Tonight That I Might See (which is interesting because they also sampled CSNY :creep:)

I personally think her cover of The Other Woman is more similar to Jeff Buckley's cover than the original (and Gods and Monsters is also the name of the band he was in)

NFR! album cover gives me One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest film vibes 

sgopYhV.gif

cat power is someone she's mentioned back in her LG days (and of course collabed w later) and tbh i can hear early cat power on lots of early lizzy grant stuff, esp the spare, moody guitar tracks (motel 6, let my hair down, etc remind me of myra lee).

aOaIzH2.gif

anybody else feel disappointed when you realize some of your fave Lana lyric lines, track names or production etc end up being an “inspiration” and not original? don’t get me wrong, i do think she does it tastefully. 

bur when you don’t recognize the reference and think she’s a genius for coming up with stuff on her own...