Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

29 minutes ago, Angelic Tropico said:

Also, I donā€™t get the hype around ā€œyou fucked me so good that I almost said ilyā€. People were saying thatā€™s one of the best opening lines theyā€™ve ever heard. I thought it was cringe nglĀ 

While I love the song despite its many "white noise" moments and the tinny piano and overall production, this has got to be the cringiest opening line, let alone lyric, in Lana's discography. It's in the same category as "I'm crying while I'm cuming" and "Fuck it I luh yaaa" for me.

1 hour ago, Shades of Lame said:

Ā 

I saw people saying the songĀ feels empty without the rap, but I love her humming so much! It's my favorite part. So captivating...Ā :defeated:

Ā 

i think she really embodied it, i love the sleepy, lazy vocals, and the overly loud beat track really givesĀ the track character :makeup:Ā 

Ā 

:hair:Ā cuzĀ i got a feelin' in my bonesĀ :hair:Ā 

Ā 

:hair:Ā guess i got loveĀ on the brainĀ :hair:Ā 

WGe8ynS.gif

2 hours ago, Angelic Tropico said:

Donā€™t hate me but I thought NFR (album) was lacking in every way possible.Ā It just doesnā€™t haveĀ the Lana Del Rey feel. If someone was to cover an older Lana song, Iā€™d be able to tell that it was a Lana cover but I swear any indie artist could cover any song from NFR and I wouldnā€™t think Lana had written it. There are some moments in the album that are absolutely amazingĀ like the FIILY vocal layering towards the end and the verses of California but all in all I just donā€™t like it.Ā Itā€™sĀ lacking production-wise, lyrically, etc... Even the chords and melodies are SO predictable and commercial -Ā especially in the chorus of Love Song (imo obviously)

My main issue with NFR is that it lacked character. It soundsĀ dry and flavorless.

Ā 

There are some cuts on this album that I enjoy but overall itā€™s my least favorite from her discography.

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

6 hours ago, TrashMagiq said:

summertime's her worst cover. the production great, the part at the beginning with the backup singers is amazing,Ā but her vocals on it don't fit the song at all. it's uncomfortable to listen to.

i've been afraid to say this on here but yeahĀ :toofunny:Ā imo her best covers are of folk/rock,Ā and if she's doing jazz I think she has to add her own twists to it, which is why I think the Other Woman is her best jazz cover (and the cover itself is not entirely jazz either)

sgopYhV.gif

if you think nfr is a bad album you just have to wait for your next rock bottomĀ mental breakdown where you end up relistening to the whole thing and then the album will find a special place in youĀ 

Ā 157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

i really do enjoy summertime, but i do think it's a little underwhelming, i feel a little worried now that the album is going to be underwhelming as a whole, we need something like summer wine, that felt like a true classic and it was such a good cover, very iconic, summertime is very relaxed but it doesn't seem like album material...? i don't know, i just hope the christmas album as a whole is a quality project

WGe8ynS.gif

8 hours ago, TrashMagiq said:

summertime's her worst cover. the production great, the part at the beginning with the backup singers is amazing,Ā but her vocals on it don't fit the song at all. it's uncomfortable to listen to.

I think she was aware that her voice was a strange match for the Gershwin opera and indicated this by that diva-esque palm pointing to the backup singer to signal a proper belt out of "standing by" was needed. But she sang it in her own voice, which was still interesting/satisfying, imo. Doubt it compares technically to an opera singer, but Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Norah Jones, and countless other non-opera types have covered it, and I think LDR's a bit more faithful to the song. BTW, Fantano, possibly mislead by "the Gershwin version" in the title, gave an abysmal track reaction to it. It honestly sounds like he thought it was a re-do of the Sublime cover, though I'm not sure (however, I'll choose to believe that's what he meant, i.e. Fantano, "the ignoramus version").

1 hour ago, Black Roses said:

Everything sheā€™s released since LFL has little to no replay value whichĀ made me lose interest in her as an artist. I barely listen to her released work anymoreĀ :toofunny:

Ā 

I wouldn't say I lost interest in her as an artist, I'm still aĀ hopeful fan and very looking forward to next releases and stuff. But, you do hit the nail when you say that her work has little to no replay value nowadays. I didn't like 'Lust for Life' as an album, but the songs I loved on there, I loved them and I'm still listening to them to this day. On 'NFR'...Ā I'll listen to the title track sometimes even if the opening line is cringy, or sometimes if I feel like it 'Venice Bitch' or 'The greatest', but that's honestly about it.

2 hours ago, sexyslutboy said:

if you think nfr is a bad album you just have to wait for your next rock bottomĀ mental breakdown where you end up relistening to the whole thing and then the album will find a special place in youĀ 

Ā 

i had a fight with my boyfriend just before the release at midnightĀ :stareney:

Ā 

I always start my NFR! album listening with Mariners Apartment Complex. " You took my sadness out of context " is aĀ Ā better opening line thanĀ  Ā " You fucked me so goodĀ  that I almost said I love you" btw

Ā 

Speaking of title tracks..the LFL & NFR!Ā  ones are my least favourite title tracks ...hoping for COTCC to surprise me with a title track thatā€™s good as BTD, UV & HM

Ā 

Ā 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song.Ā Itā€™s on my album Honeymoon. Itā€™s the antithesis of hopefulness. Itā€™s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Ā 

On 12/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, sexyslutboy said:

rightĀ :rip:Ā broke up with my bf with that album and HIADT and HIAB just has hit so different ever sinceĀ 

sgopYhV.gif

On 12/3/2020 at 12:35 PM, sexyslutboy said:

lmaoooooooooo yes. especially title track, cinnamon girl, HIAB, and the greatestĀ 

Ā 

bonus points for california because i actually broke down crying while driving to that songĀ 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

On 12/3/2020 at 2:35 PM, sexyslutboy said:

thissss lol. I was really going through it when NFR dropped and it essentially defined that mental breakdown for me (which is also why it's now really difficult to listen back to that album)

Ā 

To contribute on the note of UnpopOpins, I think that NFR is actually truly her saddest album. I feel like everyone always goes for Born to Die since that's what defined her as miss "Hollywood Sadcore" or even Ultraviolence, but the songs of NFR are extremely gut-wrenching in their meaning. California, The Greatest,Ā Cinnamon Girl, Happiness is a Butterfly, Hope... all songs that are absolutely heartbreaking, and the sadness is almost.. more genuine,Ā if that makes sense. Like, it's very raw. It's deeper than the songs on other albums in the sense that the pain is really coming out from her heart and soul. It's palpable xĀ 

Ā 

6 minutes ago, Party Favor said:

lmaoooooooooo yes. especially title track, cinnamon girl, HIAB, and the greatestĀ 

Ā 

bonus points for california because i actually broke down crying while driving to that songĀ 

Ā 

The first time I listened to California I was completely fine up until the second half of the chorus ("We'll do whatever you want, travel wherever how far..) and then I just completely burst into a full-blownĀ sob session. It was so sudden and full force, it wasĀ like I had just watched someone get shot. While I was crying I was like, what tf just happened?? I was fine literally a second ago?? Whew, that song took me by surprise, and considering the situation I was going through, it hit waaaaaaay way way too close x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

ā€¢Ā 4.18.14Ā ā€¢Ā 5.1.14Ā ā€¢ 9.20.14Ā ā€¢ 5.28.15Ā ā€¢ 6.14.15Ā ā€¢ 7.28.16Ā ā€¢ 7.24.17Ā ā€¢ 10.23.17Ā ā€¢ 10.24.17Ā ā€¢ 1.25.18Ā ā€¢ 2.5.18Ā ā€¢ 12.5.18Ā ā€¢ 10.3.19Ā ā€¢ 10.11.19Ā ā€¢ 11.16.19 ā€¢

SFĀ ā€¢Ā ATLĀ ā€¢Ā ATLĀ ā€¢Ā INDĀ ā€¢Ā ATLĀ ā€¢Ā CHIĀ ā€¢Ā LDNĀ ā€¢Ā NYCĀ ā€¢Ā NYCĀ ā€¢Ā DCĀ ā€¢ ATLĀ ā€¢ NYCĀ ā€¢ PDXĀ ā€¢ SANĀ ā€¢ KS

Ā 

36 minutes ago, Party Favor said:

Ā 

my break down song was HIABĀ :toofunny:Ā literally in the middle of waking to class and hearing that song, tears started STREAMING down my face and people were staring at meĀ :rip:

sgopYhV.gif

43 minutes ago, Elle said:

Ā 

The first time I listened to California I was completely fine up until the second half of the chorus ("We'll do whatever you want, travel wherever how far..) and then I just completely burst into a full-blownĀ sob session. It was so sudden and full force, it wasĀ like I had just watched someone get shot. While I was crying I was like, what tf just happened?? I was fine literally a second ago?? Whew, that song took me by surprise, and considering the situation I was going through, it hit waaaaaaay way way too close x

Ugh yes. That part reminds me of my ex because of all the plans we had for the future and how willing I was to be by him so he could escape his toxic family. Iā€™m sure you can assume what happened based on how heā€™s an ex lolĀ 

Ā 

also the ā€œI wanted to reach out but I didnā€™t say a thingā€ bc before everything happened I felt things were off but said nothing bc I was stuck in my own pit as wellĀ 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)