Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

How to Disappear is perfect and misunderstood. It's like a studio album's version of a laptop demo if that makes sense, and I mean that as a compliment. It's completely charming and meaningful and the more I hear it the more I love it.

The lack of communication on Lana’s part is getting super frustrating. I know she lives her own life and has flat out said she doesn’t care about losing fans, but it wouldn’t kill her to communicate even a little. It’s always been a problem with her but it’s getting increasingly bad. First the September 5th date coming and going with her saying nothing, the book signing where she threw two days around, the instagram live on Election Day where she flat out says “I was planning on making an official announcement but this will do”

and now her performance planned for Monday. Even if she is going to sing Chemtrails (which I’m finding more and more unlikely) she could at least post a ‘Catch you Monday’ to announce it. 

I’m also in agreement with the others who say she’s really losing what made her music unique. The woman who sang her Pussy tastes like Pepsi cola, had to touch herself to pretend her man was there, was being led to war with her man’s brilliant direction...gone, now her mans just being a jerk :/

"Don’t forget me"

25 minutes ago, Nikogo said:

The lack of communication on Lana’s part is getting super frustrating. I know she lives her own life and has flat out said she doesn’t care about losing fans, but it wouldn’t kill her to communicate even a little. It’s always been a problem with her but it’s getting increasingly bad. First the September 5th date coming and going with her saying nothing, the book signing where she threw two days around, the instagram live on Election Day where she flat out says “I was planning on making an official announcement but this will do”

and now her performance planned for Monday. Even if she is going to sing Chemtrails (which I’m finding more and more unlikely) she could at least post a ‘Catch you Monday’ to announce it. 

I’m also in agreement with the others who say she’s really losing what made her music unique. The woman who sang her Pussy tastes like Pepsi cola, had to touch herself to pretend her man was there, was being led to war with her man’s brilliant direction...gone, now her mans just being a jerk :/

I agree that her communication is the worst but like, that last paragraph it's literally what people who praise BTD as her magnum opus say, like "How I wish she would make a BTD 2.0" or "I miss when she used to be all glammed up" and can't see past that (also, BTD was so overproduced).

BTD was, and still is, iconic- it's a fact that it's one of the biggest debuts by a female from the last decade- but her music is still unique, no one actually does it like her (and I'm speaking both instrumental and lyric-wise), she doesn't go for generic shit. Personally, I can't actually say which album is the best/pick a favorite because they all mean something different to me (even though I can say LFL is lowkey the weakest from her, but still amazing). However, I know people do feel like that- and y'all are entitled to your own opinions- but it just doesn't sit right w/ me when people say she's lost what made her unique.

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

14 minutes ago, Yosemite said:

but it just doesn't sit right w/ me when people say she's lost what made her unique.

Agreeed.

Let's not pretend that "I drive fast, radio blares, have to touch myself to pretend you're there" is a more unique lyric than almost everything she wrote on NFR. People can say what they want about the production of NFR (which I strongly disagree with - I think it's perfect and deliberate and aging like fine wine) but I really don't understand how people can say NFR is lyrically safe or boring. It's some of her best and most unique songwriting, and the album will easily stand the test of time for good reason.

I definitely don’t think BTD is her best, and I don’t want a BTD 2.0 (or 2.0 of any record she’s made) she’s had so many iconic lyrical moments throughout her career (her song writing definitely didn’t just magically stop with BTD), it just seems like the girl who came full circle and sang “Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind I want to get off but I keep riding the ride” went back to singing “lying on your chest, in my party dress, I’m a fucking mess” like...where’s the fire.

this is the unpopular opinion thread and I know me not liking NFR is a very unpopular opinion.

she went from having lush strings, ambiance sprinkled throughout her songs (God Knows I Tried had crickets, 13B had SO many little sound effects and noises that made the song so full) and NFR had strings that don’t add a thing to the overall song and hardly any kind of beats (CG being an exception, I would have killed for a full song that sounds like the last minute)

I can be critical and still like her

edit: plus, the two songs I’m quoting as saying I miss aren’t even BTD. They’re paradise (which yes is an EP but also feels very much like it’s own body if work)

"Don’t forget me"

1 minute ago, Lustformoney said:

nobody said they want lana to make another btd:eyeroll2: we just want more " im on fire baby" and not another "pls hold me im blue touch me u make me blue"

Basically, she just needs to get the hell away from Jack. 

I probably came off ruder than I intended. All I’m trying to say is it’s completely okay that some people see NFR as an amazing body of work and don’t see the criticisms I have for it. But at the same time, some of us can’t help but feel disappointed that part of the Lana appeal seemed (to me, not saying everyone thinks the same say) to fade away a little. It isn’t just her lyrical content, I want beats in her songs, I want strings, I want ambiance, I want to really feel like I’m in her world. Norman was good storytelling wise (and having Violets tie into it was an amazing touch) but it is slightly annoying that you can’t say you miss all these things without being labeled a BTD fanboy who just needs to ‘move past’ the album that initially hooked me. 

"Don’t forget me"

In closing, because I know I’m beating a dead horse and spamming this thread 

if 

A) her debut album was NFR 

or

B) I was introduced to her with NFR 

I wouldn’t be as big of a fan of hers as I am now. Her first 4 albums are definitely a different sound and world than NFR, and my music taste falls more along the records that made me fall in love with her and her world. I’m not saying NFR is a bad album, it’s just vastly different than the world she had built and not so much my cup of tea. Do I want her to go back to an old sound? Heck no! I want her to evolve and grow. But if anything LMLYLAW is NFR 2.0 and I can’t help but be a little more disappointed. 

After QFTC and her instagram post of her stripping in Tropico with the caption ‘#fuckoff’ I got really hopeful. THATS what I want. Bad bitch, idgaf vibes. I’m hoping Chemtrials touches on that more and is a return to form. 

"Don’t forget me"

4 hours ago, Lustformoney said:

nobody said they want lana to make another btd:eyeroll2: we just want more " im on fire baby" and not another "pls hold me im blue u make me blue"

"pls hold me im blue" lmao that made me laugh, but I love that part :$ IM BLUEEEEEE OOOOOooOOOOoo !!!