Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

On 3/7/2021 at 4:48 AM, Enchanted Mansion said:

I did not read your message before posting and I think exactly like you.

The artist she was at the beginning and now has changed, yes in the meantime she has become a superstar, an icon, but until 2015-2016 she still had this "old Lana" thing that reminded us of her art at the top.

Now we feel that she has succeeded, she has achieved her goal and her dream, she knows that her fans will buy everything she offers since she has understood the magic recipe for making good music and no longer cares about the rest.

She is very self-centered, bordering on narcissism, and her recent scandals remind me of an authentic girl who has become too spoiled, a princess like a rich 18-year-old girl.

I miss her awkwardness at the start, her smiles, her red cheeks and her shyness. Her garage jackets too haha. She has gained confidence, that's good, but part of her authenticity is definitely gone. She's calculating her image too much now and it ties in with my post where I think she lost that "lana del rey" thing where she seemed so proud of her music videos, her songs, her life, everything.

The advantage is that she will never release bad songs and thank God, but yes this old Lana, shy, young in Hollywood, emotional, her so particular way of making her songs with arrangements of her own has disappeared to make way has a rich star far from reality as Lady Gaga has become over time...

She would have entered the music market with what she offers today, I wouldn't have really paid attention.

Authentic Lana before> Lana Del Rey today

So many of my thoughts put into words here.

When I first did all the Lana 'research' after just discovering her in 2012, I remember this one interview question "What would you say to the haters?" And Lana thought for a quick moment and said "I don't think I would say anything at all". That REALLY inspired me and I thought every word she spoke were going down in history.

She thought carefully about her words, didn't waste time in interviews and that's why all of her pre-2015 interviews are so glorious, I could write all of them out on my wall and be inspired every day. 

These days what does Lana say to the 'haters'? She posts long written notes from her phone and posts follow-up comments and videos that do not at ALL represent who she is, and then gets passive aggressive or just straight-up mad when people take it seriously. She goes off topic faster than the question was even asked and actually hasn't answered a question well in what seems like 3 years hahaha.

Also sorry didn't realize this was posted many days ago

2 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

So many of my thoughts put into words here.

When I first did all the Lana 'research' after just discovering her in 2012, I remember this one interview question "What would you say to the haters?" And Lana thought for a quick moment and said "I don't think I would say anything at all". That REALLY inspired me and I thought every word she spoke were going down in history.

She thought carefully about her words, didn't waste time in interviews and that's why all of her pre-2015 interviews are so glorious, I could write all of them out on my wall and be inspired every day. 

These days what does Lana say to the 'haters'? She posts long written notes from her phone and posts follow-up comments and videos that do not at ALL represent who she is, and then gets passive aggressive or just straight-up mad when people take it seriously. She goes off topic faster than the question was even asked and actually hasn't answered a question well in what seems like 3 years hahaha.

Also sorry didn't realize this was posted many days ago

I think she's just mentally exausted from everything that had happened in the past.

Since L4L the critic have been more open to her and even feminists started to praise her, something that in the past didn't happen very often. She blew it all with the QFTC, passive agressive posts and videos. I'm happy that she finally feels comfortable and strong enough to adress it. Part of me think that she should put this energy into her music or formulate better what she wants to say. The way she have been doing sounds like a kid rant and is very ungrateful with her fans. The media doesn't like you. So what? You still have people that listen to you, buy your merchandise and care about you in a personal level. Why can't she be happy about that?

3 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

I hope COCC won't receive a Grammy nomination or if it does, it doesn't win. She's too talented for that shady awards

I truly believe she’s gonna end up like Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell and finally win her Grammy a few decades later to make up for all the snubs, and like them, she probably won’t care about it anymore by then. 

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

COCC's only suprise was Lana referencing Tolkien. That shocked me so hard I had to do double take to make sure that the quote does not origin from Bible or somewhere else. :coffee:
Nothing wrong with that, I just never expected to see Tolkien among Lana's inspirations, most of which are edgy.

Is that an influence of a boyfriend or a friend, or has Lana became interested in LOTR on her own, for whatever reason? 

i am nothing and should be everything

34 minutes ago, Lirazel said:

COCC's only suprise was Lana referencing Tolkien. That shocked me so hard I had to do double take to make sure that the quote does not origin from Bible or somewhere else. :coffee:
Nothing wrong with that, I just never expected to see Tolkien among Lana's inspirations, most of which are edgy.

Is that an influence of a boyfriend or a friend, or has Lana became interested in LOTR on her own, for whatever reason? 

My guess is she just likes the famous phrase, i have no idea if or if not she’s read LOTR

39 minutes ago, Lirazel said:

maybe thats Clay, i remember he has on his 2019 stories a photo of keychain with "Not all who wander are lost" written on it

38 minutes ago, Lirazel said:

She was raised Catholic, so she probably read the Lord of the Rings books dozens of times as a kid. Seeing as she’s always been inspired by lots of old writers, and he does focus heavily on lush textured descriptions of nature, and includes lots of songs/poems in his works, it actually kinda makes sense she’d be a fan of his work.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

2 hours ago, recklessdaughter said:

She was raised Catholic, so she probably read the Lord of the Rings books dozens of times as a kid. Seeing as she’s always been inspired by lots of old writers, and he does focus heavily on lush textured descriptions of nature, and includes lots of songs/poems in his works, it actually kinda makes sense she’d be a fan of his work.

Is reading LOTR a mandatory reading for american Catholics? Don't get me wrong, I know the background of the book. Still, in my country it's not exactly a must-read for religious people, just fantasy and Tolkien fans. It's kind of out of place to see something both wholesome and mainstream being referenced by Lana. Also, she never semeed into fantasy or WW2 reimaginations, so yeah... it really surprised me.

Even if she has read the book (and I'm not sure of that tbh), it's still kind of 'off brand' for her to reference it. But I'm not complaining (even if it reads like it, sorry!). I'm just shocked to the core somehow 

i am nothing and should be everything

"Unpopular opinions" seems like the right thread for this random thought.

The good songs on Lust for Life are better than the good songs on NFR and COCC.

Anyone agree?

In My Feelings and Heroin alone are stronger than anything on the last two albums for me.

The only songs I really like on NFR are the title-track, FIILY and The Greatest (and I kinda hate to admit Doin' Time is a highlight too), and I'll save my song picks from COCC til it's released, but again there's only 3 or 4 I really dig - but none of these from either album are as strong as Heroin or In My Feelings.

26vMNDz.gif

Why why whyyyyy is LFL so overlooked? I love almost every song (aside from the title track I guess, lol) plus I felt like the promotion was interesting, and she looked hot and cool during that era lol. No one gives it the respect it deserves! I love the way it both further explores her narcotic balladry (Heroin, Love) brings intensity (Cherry, IMF) and resurrects prominent hip-hop production in a fresh way for that record (Summer Bummer). Also I felt like her outlook was spot on and the sentiments she was bringing to the table were interesting, like she had her finger on the pulse of culture in a way I liked...When the World Was At War We Just Kept On Dancing... (and God Bless America for that matter).  And no one talks about how she predicted the pandemic with Change lol. And Stevie Nick's feature felt timely and cute, and then to top it all off it gave us Get Free... like wow. It's a legendary album. I get that all of her records are good but LFL felt like a peak to me. (Of course she kept peaking with NFR, and now COCC is just beyond).  I guess I just wish more people were on board for that record, and she seemed really happy during that time period. I love the photo of her smiling in front of the truck and I actually have it framed on my wall above my piano <3

14 hours ago, ParadiseFreak said:

"Unpopular opinions" seems like the right thread for this random thought.

The good songs on Lust for Life are better than the good songs on NFR and COCC.

Anyone agree?

In My Feelings and Heroin alone are stronger than anything on the last two albums for me.

The only songs I really like on NFR are the title-track, FIILY and The Greatest (and I kinda hate to admit Doin' Time is a highlight too), and I'll save my song picks from COCC til it's released, but again there's only 3 or 4 I really dig - but none of these from either album are as strong as Heroin or In My Feelings.

I agree with you. Heroin is such a stunner and In My Feelings is beautiful too.

13 hours ago, xAlexx said:

Why why whyyyyy is LFL so overlooked? I love almost every song (aside from the title track I guess, lol) plus I felt like the promotion was interesting, and she looked hot and cool during that era lol. No one gives it the respect it deserves! I love the way it both further explores her narcotic balladry (Heroin, Love) brings intensity (Cherry, IMF) and resurrects prominent hip-hop production in a fresh way for that record (Summer Bummer). Also I felt like her outlook was spot on and the sentiments she was bringing to the table were interesting, like she had her finger on the pulse of culture in a way I liked...When the World Was At War We Just Kept On Dancing... (and God Bless America for that matter).  And no one talks about how she predicted the pandemic with Change lol. And Stevie Nick's feature felt timely and cute, and then to top it all off it gave us Get Free... like wow. It's a legendary album. I get that all of her records are good but LFL felt like a peak to me. (Of course she kept peaking with NFR, and now COCC is just beyond).  I guess I just wish more people were on board for that record, and she seemed really happy during that time period. I love the photo of her smiling in front of the truck and I actually have it framed on my wall above my piano <3

All those damn duets. I hate each and everyone of them except for Beautiful people.

BTD Paradise slander is getting boring and I feel like stans do it to feel superior in some weird way

Spoiler

Stream Yayo you tasteless bitches

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

On 15/03/2021 at 00:22, never for ever said:

i wanna disagree, i see the self-centred aspect of her but i think she has always been that way, being self-centred isn't always a bad thing. 

i think she is more authentic she has ever been, her music and creative process is a lot more raw and personal, she seems to care less about flashy imagery and wants to keep things down to earth and simple, that tends to happen as people get older. i disagree with that she's "calculating" her image, she is simply defending herself against people who take her words and twist them into something else. the glamorous old hollywood film lana seems to be no more, and you know what that's okay, she's grown out of that and is taking new approaches. nfr is her best work to date in my opinion.

she has a care-free attitude now sure, but that's actually a sign of growth as a person. i can appreciate that sort of attitude because again, it brings out authenticity and caring less about image and promoting oneself. yeah she is that stage in her career where she can do that, and fair enough, i don't blame her.

she has just matured, people change with age. some people don't stay shy forever. she gained more interest in politics quite obviously but i don't see that as a bad thing either, she wants to be more open and speak up on what she believes in. 

I'm happy with who she is obviously, you can tell she's happier, her music works and she has gained a lot of recognition as an artist, it was unexpected believe me. She is an exceptional artist and that's why I love her so much, she is artistically perfect.

I was transcribing how I felt about her in a brutal way, maybe because I've grown up over the years. I know I have an obsession with the depth of things, too much sometimes. I need that dose of sadness that few artists can provide and Lana was part of that. I was just a little frustrated that such a beautiful universe perfect in every way is flaking to become more generic but I can understand that doing this dark music must take a lot of energy, mental and physical, and we think about it never. I have to admit that artists are not machines and that they also have to take care of them, and I think like all those artists who do very dark things, Lana needs to be happy and to stay far from the shadows that can pull her down, which would explain why her music is so today, less creepy.

She's a whole person but I find that lately she has changed, but I guess that's normal, her popularity is more flourishing than ever. I have the impression since the recognition of her work since NFR, that she has lost this thing a bit, or else it's self-confidence that has just been heightened in this way. I love what I've seen of her the last few days, but her recent "scandals" with her double-meaning messages, her mask really made me feel like this girl doing anything.

But I guess she's having fun and that's a good thing. I'm just still very nostalgic, no doubt because his music touches me less and less, and I have this golden age in mind (BTD, UV, HM) with an intimidated Lana who seemed softer on stage and more subtle.

And no no and no, politics is an area that makes my hair stand out and I really can't stand when privileged artists come to give their opinions on such and such things but I must admit that Lana remains quite realistic and far from it all. In fact, I sucked at judging her. Hope she never does a politician's campaign and all that bullshit to give herself a thing, that she live away from all that shit.

On 3/17/2021 at 6:39 AM, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

I agree with you. Heroin is such a stunner and In My Feelings is beautiful too.

All those damn duets. I hate each and everyone of them except for Beautiful people.

Oh my god, I forgot about my favorite fucking song on the album LOL. Tomorrow Never Came? The verses are heartbreakingly beautiful, gives me a lizzy grant feeling that I love. "Shakin' and movin' at my local spot". And that bridge brings me to my fucking KNEES. "Roses out in your coun...try house" hahaha. I'm sorry I don't even care that it's almost structured like a T*ylor Sw*ft song, I think it's one of the most beautiful songs ever. 

Lemme preface with TJF is a first listen standout and top 5 for me, but I don’t like the very last use of autotune on the track :ohno: That first instance was so hot, felt like that’s all the song needed.

23 minutes ago, HONEYMOON said:

COCC is a dud. 

forreal

6 minutes ago, rabbit said:

Lemme preface with TJF is a first listen standout and top 5 for me, but I don’t like the very last use of autotune on the track :ohno: That first instance was so hot, felt like that’s all the song needed.

i love the autotune throughout the whole song, i dont think the song would the same without it lets get into it :nails: lets get into a whole album of TJF :nails:

On 3/16/2021 at 8:14 PM, xAlexx said:

Why why whyyyyy is LFL so overlooked? I love almost every song (aside from the title track I guess, lol) plus I felt like the promotion was interesting, and she looked hot and cool during that era lol. No one gives it the respect it deserves! I love the way it both further explores her narcotic balladry (Heroin, Love) brings intensity (Cherry, IMF) and resurrects prominent hip-hop production in a fresh way for that record (Summer Bummer). 

its bloated, clunky, too many uncohesive genre changes, questionable production engineering [cocoroach-ella... literally what is that?!] etc

If it was released as what it was indented [ie the recently leaked demos of the songs like Love and the title track, Architecture, Yosemite] it would probably be her best album. There are many songs I love from the album but it feels more like 3 EPs in one playlist 

6 minutes ago, TRENCH said:

its bloated, clunky, too many uncohesive genre changes, questionable production engineering [cocoroach-ella... literally what is that?!] etc

If it was released as what it was indented [ie the recently leaked demos of the songs like Love and the title track, Architecture, Yosemite] it would probably be her best album. There are many songs I love from the album but it feels more like 3 EPs in one playlist 

i've always thought that if some songs on LFL had been released as a separate EP i'd appreciate it so much more

sUcVobB.png