Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

As much as i like the sound of her lower register on record, it never sounds great live because I don’t think it’s her real range/where she’s comfortable singing. There is a reason absolutely nothing before Born to Die has as much low register singing, because I don’t think that’s her sweet spot. 

7 minutes ago, domandapiano said:

As much as i like the sound of her lower register on record, it never sounds great live because I don’t think it’s her real range/where she’s comfortable singing. There is a reason absolutely nothing before Born to Die has as much low register singing, because I don’t think that’s her sweet spot. 

Yeah I don't think it was her natural voice either, she trained herself/lowered her voice AND dyed her hair bc she thought she wasn't being taken seriously. Her high notes are so pretty tho, incredible really.

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

15 minutes ago, domandapiano said:

exactly but it's insane that her deep unnatural voice sounds so good and iconic especially on btd songs, people usually sound weird when they sing in an unnatural register 

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

all those songs that are usually called "piano flops" are fucking great, ever since I listened to Bel Air and Change I wanted more songs like that, and I'm happy we got those in NFR and Chemtrails.

but yeah, I'll agree that after two albums we need a fresh sound, maybe some VB-like production? a dream :trisha:

Capture.jpg

13 minutes ago, past the bushes said:

all those songs that are usually called "piano flops" are fucking great, ever since I listened to Bel Air and Change I wanted more songs like that, and I'm happy we got those in NFR and Chemtrails.

but yeah, I'll agree that after two albums we need a fresh sound, maybe some VB-like production? a dream :trisha:

Bel Air and Change are definitely not piano flops. They're so beautifully executed. It's like a piece of heaven

5 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Bel Air and Change are definitely not piano flops. They're so beautifully executed. It's like a piece of heaven

I mentioned them because I wanted more piano-driven songs after those two. of course they aren't piano flops, none of them are :hooker:

Capture.jpg

27 minutes ago, past the bushes said:

I mentioned them because I wanted more piano-driven songs after those two. of course they aren't piano flops, none of them are :hooker:

I was just agreeing with you :ohmy:

Spoiler

About Change and Bel Air, because I hate Jack's piano flops

Idk if this is an unpopular or a popular opinion, but I just wanted to mention it. Why didn't we get the interlude for the chemtrails video somewhere on the album. It's soooooo beautiful.

I have no idea what it is, if it’s bc I’m a POC or maybe just because I’m a city person or whatever the case, but, I feel really alienated from the whole country/hillbilly (idk if that’s the right word lol) Lana vibe and just feel weird about it. I know she’s really deep into the country lifestyle rn so I just hope the new album won’t be focusing on a fake twang or like a banjo. LOL I’m probably exaggerating things in my mind for sure but I just really want the country era to end already. ?

2 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I always avoid Art Deco because the "Baby, you're so ghetto" line seems a little bit racist and elitist 

Yeah that’s a little cringe lmfao

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I always avoid Art Deco because the "Baby, you're so ghetto" line seems a little bit racist and elitist 

i love this song but i HATE that line. i never sing it since it just feels wrong

sUcVobB.png

I still listen to the song because I do enjoy the song itself, but I always skip that line. I've never liked it

imageproxy.jpg

i originally wrote a lot more but i'm gonna try to parse it down to the basics

Spoiler

• quit asking for songs like cherry, california, OTTR as if they aren't her worst songs.  zach dawes has made a single good song with lana and it's unreleased (thunder- i can't speak on dealer obvi and considering how she talked abt yosemite i won't buy into the hype)
  • money power glory, in my feelings, beautiful people w/ stevie, & breaking up slowly are extremely underrated and much better than some of the more beloved songs in this fandom (ultraviolence title track, white mustang, change, & NAWWAL- altho i love NAWWAL still)
  • hope is a dangerous thing is one of her best songs PERIOD and people would love it 10x more if it wasn't released as a single in the middle of an information drought.   this and white dress are when she's felt the most sincere with her life story & both are catchy as hell (altho this for white dress isn't an unpopular opinion)
  • wild at heart's sample is embarrassing, the fan panning of HTD is laughable when it's the better song of the 2, and i can't even blame jack for that considering...
  • lana this era seems way more focused on the concept of her image, legacy & career than the things that actually built it (the MUSIC... the visuals) and it shows- it sucks because she has a handful of gems in this album amidst songs that feel either half-baked or phoned in.  comparing it to AKA is doing AKA's quirk and ingenuity a disservice, it's more comparable to may jailer- an unfiltered, unpolished heap of material that has potential but doesn't go anywhere.
  • zella & weyes deserved better than to be stuck on for free but this is probably a decently common opinion- they sound great but this song just does not do anything.

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

36 minutes ago, Venice said:

I have no idea what it is, if it’s bc I’m a POC or maybe just because I’m a city person or whatever the case, but, I feel really alienated from the whole country/hillbilly (idk if that’s the right word lol) Lana vibe and just feel weird about it. I know she’s really deep into the country lifestyle rn so I just hope the new album won’t be focusing on a fake twang or like a banjo. LOL I’m probably exaggerating things in my mind for sure but I just really want the country era to end already. ?

Same here! Although I feel like Lana has always been a country girl (living in trailer parks, the ride music video, etc;) but I get you with the whole hillbilly vibe. COCC has felt so "un-glamorous" unlike the previous eras. I think the biggest contributing factor to this is J@ck's cheap ass production- he fails to capture the cinematic/orchestral vibe that goes well with Lana's voice. Sadly, he doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon :/

Although there are a few BTD demos that I like better than their final versions (mainly lolita and diet mountain dew), I think that all the final versions of the songs fit best on the album, and none of the demos would have fit. I know a lot of people wish that she would've just kept certain songs as their demo versions, but in my opinion, they're demos for a reason. I also don't think unreleased tracks like you can be the boss or us against the world would've fit on the album either.

imageproxy.jpg