Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

It’s really sad for me to say but I agree that Lana kinda fell off after NFR. I think COCC might be a grower like HM (for me at least) tbh, but...Yeah it feels like I’m starting to unstan. I even liked LMLYLAW but I have not been obsessively listening to these new singles like before :( Ik people don’t really like NFR but for me it was a new sound for her that I enjoyed, but she’s been getting more and more minimal after it and it’s kinda yikes for me. I think it’s a mixture with her public image that kinda seals the deal for me now. It’s like she doesn’t care anymore. At this point I’m hoping she’ll have her great comeback in like 5 years. ALSO at this point I don’t think it’s jacks fault because she’s working with like 3 new producers and they’re still underwhelming. It has to be Lana at this point 

sgopYhV.gif

the songs took me a long time to connect w tbh so if u didn’t initially like it i understand 

for me:

wildflower came first 

text book I just recently started to really enjoy, the only part of the song i don’t love is the second half of the chorus it just kinda sounds sloppy 

blue banisters is ok, it doesn’t have much replay value to me because as @Rorman Nockwell said i cannot stand the constant name dropping, i never listen to DTWD because of it :rip: 

I’m going to get shit for this but I find NFR to be her most unauthentic piece of work. This album in general just doesn’t have that same feeling as her past work. It’s not the aesthetics, it’s not the production, it’s just the way how her emotions are presented on the album. It’s like she’s holding them back and is restrained. The romance and the sadness are just not… there. That’s one thing about Lana that has always stood out about her than other pop artists, it’s the way how she presents her emotions. Yeah some people like to shit on her for being overly emotional or in other words “pretentious” but that’s how she fucking expresses herself. That’s what makes her Lana. Even some of the controversial cuts on LFL sounded more authentic than the material off of NFR. And even Honeymoon, which seems like an acquire taste for some fans, has her belting out lyrics on GKIT and seducing vocals on MTWBT. However, NFR doesn’t showcase much on the more romantic and sadder tracks. The instrumentation doesn’t bring much to the table either. And I can’t bare to hear How to Disappear on that awful fucking production. 

I hate to say this but NFR was a bland and overly hyped album that the anti-Lana critics could only handle and enjoy. 

Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

39 minutes ago, rosesofsaigon said:

I’m going to get shit for this but I find NFR to be her most unauthentic piece of work. This album in general just doesn’t have that same feeling as her past work. It’s not the aesthetics, it’s not the production, it’s just the way how her emotions are presented on the album. It’s like she’s holding them back and is restrained. The romance and the sadness are just not… there. That’s one thing about Lana that has always stood out about her than other pop artists, it’s the way how she presents her emotions. Yeah some people like to shit on her for being overly emotional or in other words “pretentious” but that’s how she fucking expresses herself. That’s what makes her Lana. Even some of the controversial cuts on LFL sounded more authentic than the material off of NFR. And even Honeymoon, which seems like an acquire taste for some fans, has her belting out lyrics on GKIT and seducing vocals on MTWBT. However, NFR doesn’t showcase much on the more romantic and sadder tracks. The instrumentation doesn’t bring much to the table either. And I can’t bare to hear How to Disappear on that awful fucking production. 

I hate to say this but NFR was a bland and overly hyped album that the anti-Lana critics could only handle and enjoy. 

I agree. The only songs on NFR that felt like an emotional breakthrough were The Greatest, HIAB, and HIADT. California also kind of has that honest feeling but I think us knowing who the song is about (Barrie) contributes to that. The rest are good/great songs but they don't have that emotional honesty that I crave from her music.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

2 minutes ago, Lustformoney said:

Nah those 3 songs make Cocc sound like a masterpiece:bebe: id seriously rather stream lmlylaw

yeah idk what she was thinking with these “singles” 

honestly now that it’s been a few months since cocc released, i can say it’s a pretty weak album besides tjf, the title track and white dress (in that order :hooker:). all of the rest of the songs are forgettable

what’s really sad is these 3 singles are also v forgettable and i’m scared for the rest of the album 

i’m even starting to appreciate nfr more and more now

I feel there is an element of sexism via labelling Lana “pop” her music is not that different from Chris Isaac or many other singers. Her sound is too soluble to be pop and lacks the standard progression of pop songs.

I even heard a band try and say that UV was poppy the other day , well I guess pink floyd is aswell.

On 5/22/2021 at 12:18 AM, Contemplating God said:

Please don't slaughter me, but I like the Blue Banisters singer cover (and likely album cover) MUCH more than the Chemtrails album cover :bebe:

Noel Krug cover still counts as official so that's a choice...

9 hours ago, 99centlips said:

i’m even starting to appreciate nfr more and more now

LOL, me yesterday, blasting nfr for the first time :creep:

I don't think this is a good thing but let's see, maybe this new album will have more a bit of a variety sonically/production-wise

On 5/23/2021 at 3:35 AM, evalionisameme said:

I feel there is an element of sexism via labelling Lana “pop” her music is not that different from Chris Isaac or many other singers. Her sound is too soluble to be pop and lacks the standard progression of pop songs.

I even heard a band try and say that UV was poppy the other day , well I guess pink floyd is aswell.

i never understood why people call her a "pop girl" when she's really not a pop artist, i know the definition of "pop music" isn't really clear, some people think pop music is "popular music" and some people (including myself) see it as a genre, songs like diet mountain dew, radio, and without you definitely feel like "pop" songs but a lot of her work is alternative, rock, or folk, you couldn't convince me that bel air, is this happiness, cruel world, swan song, yosemite, etc. are pop songs :whatever2:

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

Cocc is literrally just NFR B-Sides tbh
Like most of the songs even tho are lyrically good have pretty weak instrumentals. To me this album seems rushed and she should have just done what she did with Paradise and release it as an EP to complete NFR

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

47 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i never understood why people call her a "pop girl" when she's really not a pop artist, i know the definition of "pop music" isn't really clear, some people think pop music is "popular music" and some people (including myself) see it as a genre, songs like diet mountain dew, radio, and without definitely feel like "pop" songs but a lot of her work is alternative, rock, or folk, you couldn't convince me that bel air, is this happiness, cruel world, swan song, yosemite, etc. are pop songs :whatever2:

There are elements of pop here and there sure but she’s done so many mixed genres like soul, jazz,psych,Americana etc that I just feel the term is redundant and odd for her.

I also see pop as a clear genre-what else would I call “thriller” or “baby one more time”

1 hour ago, BluebirdXO said:

Lana is pop. Not the typical mainstream pop, but it still pop. Her less pop-ish albuns was UV and maybe HM 

Interesting topic. I wouldn't say she's a pop artist just because she reached success with her first album. "Born To Die" indeed has pop-viability, imo: the singles can all translate to pop radio quite well). Enya has a number one song and a few other hits, which granted her visibility on the charts and airplay on pop radio stations, but that wouldn't make her a pop artist, right? 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

1 hour ago, BlueJeans said:

Interesting topic. I wouldn't say she's a pop artist just because she reached success with her first album. "Born To Die" indeed has pop-viability, imo: the singles can all translate to pop radio quite well). Enya has a number one song and a few other hits, which granted her visibility on the charts and airplay on pop radio stations, but that wouldn't make her a pop artist, right? 

I believe in this definition of pop:

Spoiler

Pop music is a genre of popular music which originated in its modern form in the 1950s, deriving from rock and roll. The terms popular music and pop music are often used interchangeably, even though the former is a description of music which is popular. As a genre, pop music is very eclectic, often borrowing elements from other styles including urban, dance, rock, Latin and country; nonetheless, there are core elements which define pop. Such include generally short-to-medium length songs, written in a basic format, as well as the common employment of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and catchy hooks. So-called "pure pop" music, such as power pop, features all these elements, using electric guitars, drums and bass for instrumentation; in the case of such music, the main goal is usually that of being pleasurable to listen to, rather than having much artistic depth. Pop music is generally thought of as a genre which is commercially recorded and desires to have a mass audience appeal.

I think the term 'pop' has evolved over time to encompass a very universal sound of music that is easily palatable. I don't say that in a way to discredit pop artists, but I wouldn't categorize Lana's music as 'easily digestible' - her 'hits' have never been as glossy and lyrically-straightforward as some of the music that tops the charts these days. 

I thought hearing the NFR intrumentals would change my mind about the album, making me like it more, but sadly they don't. It just gives me even more of an ability to pick out where I wish things were different (e.g. the strings not being so muffled. I wish they were clearer). I can hear more of Jack's editing where he makes instruments jump in and out randomly, and to me it just sounds like an error even tho he did it on purpose. And don't even get me started on how generally terrible HIAB and HTD are.

I do LOVE cinnamon girl though, Doin Time is splendid, and I quite like California too, but it ends too suddenly.  

5 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I thought hearing the NFR intrumentals would change my mind about the album, making me like it more, but sadly they don't. It just gives me even more of an ability to pick out where I wish things were different

THIS

9 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I thought hearing the NFR intrumentals would change my mind about the album, making me like it more, but sadly they don't. It just gives me even more of an ability to pick out where I wish things were different (e.g. the strings not being so muffled. I wish they were clearer). I can hear more of Jack's editing where he makes instruments jump in and out randomly, and to me it just sounds like an error even tho he did it on purpose. And don't even get me started on how generally terrible HIAB and HTD are.

I do LOVE cinnamon girl though, Doin Time is splendid, and I quite like California too, but it ends too suddenly.  

Rick Nowels was the GOAT. I miss him on Lana's production.

Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

56 minutes ago, rosesofsaigon said:

Rick Nowels was the GOAT. I miss him on Lana's production.

I love TNBAR instrumental- forgot to say that. Definitely liked his work with Lana more than Jack's. LFL instrumentals are actually fascinating as hell