Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

4 minutes ago, Be Free said:

I listened to the new songs just twice because they don't have replay value imo :poordat:

It was the same for me! But after the third or fourth time something clicked and I fell in love with them :party:

Wildflower Wildfire was my immediate favorite of the three. Blue Banisters had somewhat better lyrics, but it had to grow on me. I’m so shocked Text Book got so much love from people. :scoff: The BLM lyric makes me cringe so hard. I LOVE switch-ups in songs, which is why West Coast was truly an amazing experience the first time I heard it and still remains to me one of her best songs. But in Text Book? It sounds like a mess. I get offended every time someone compares it to West Coast or even claims it’s the best of the three...:tanisha: NOPE. Absolutely not. I don’t like the production. I just don’t like the song at all. I wish it was never released~ and that is TRULY my most unpopular opinion. :icant:

Seems like Chemtrails is super controversial around here! I love it and with some added punch at the second part of the album (and adding music video vocals to cocc), it would be 10/10 for me. Easily digestible with beautiful melodies and stories through the lyrics. I listen to it every day. Cotcc > NFR. :wub:

Happy as the moonshine

14 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

I believe in this definition of pop:

Reveal hidden contents

Pop music is a genre of popular music which originated in its modern form in the 1950s, deriving from rock and roll. The terms popular music and pop music are often used interchangeably, even though the former is a description of music which is popular. As a genre, pop music is very eclectic, often borrowing elements from other styles including urban, dance, rock, Latin and country; nonetheless, there are core elements which define pop. Such include generally short-to-medium length songs, written in a basic format, as well as the common employment of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and catchy hooks. So-called "pure pop" music, such as power pop, features all these elements, using electric guitars, drums and bass for instrumentation; in the case of such music, the main goal is usually that of being pleasurable to listen to, rather than having much artistic depth. Pop music is generally thought of as a genre which is commercially recorded and desires to have a mass audience appeal.

11 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

I think the term 'pop' has evolved over time to encompass a very universal sound of music that is easily palatable. I don't say that in a way to discredit pop artists, but I wouldn't categorize Lana's music as 'easily digestible' - her 'hits' have never been as glossy and lyrically-straightforward as some of the music that tops the charts these days. 

I'll guess I'll weigh in on the "what is pop" discussion. Hope it meets unpopular standards. To me the only way to stay sane is to just think of pop as short for "popular", i.e., the music that a lot of people like. So Billy Eilish is (maybe) more popular than LDR (at least right now or a year ago), but Joanna Newsom is not. There's also a thing called "classical", which is music that a significant amount of people like over a long period of time (e.g., greater than a lifetime). Nothing precludes pop from becoming classical (or classical for having been very popular in its time); you just need a time machine or a good historological perspective to find out. As for LDR, she's more attuned to popular music of former eras. For instance, I consider her closer to Frank Sinatra (who was quintessential popular once), than say Adele or Katy Perry currently is. Although Adele or Katy Perry might be more similar Ella Fitzgerald, because they're better technical singers than LDR and Ella was brilliant at that; however, on similarity-- the kind of songs Ella and LDR might sing also make them a more similar pairing, so it's really hard to say (and the "technicality" of LDR's singing is hard to assess, because she's innovative).

It's getting harder to tell what's what these days. Kendrick Lamar and Ornette Coleman both won Pulitzer prizes for music (getting them in the same drinking club as Samuel Barber and Elliot Carter), and Bob Dylan won a Nobel for Literature (getting him in the same drinking club as Bertrand Russell, Winston Churchill, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and John Steinbeck).

As for who, or what, or when LDR is: a wise music pundit (I'm blanking on the name) once said something like: "I just listen to the masters of every genre". So just do this for each time period of human history, and cross that with each ethnicity/continent zone, and perhaps then, you will have the necessary data to place LDR.

6 hours ago, poetic jess said:

Wildflower Wildfire was my immediate favorite of the three. Blue Banisters had somewhat better lyrics, but it had to grow on me. I’m so shocked Text Book got so much love from people. :scoff: The BLM lyric makes me cringe so hard. I LOVE switch-ups in songs, which is why West Coast was truly an amazing experience the first time I heard it and still remains to me one of her best songs. But in Text Book? It sounds like a mess. I get offended every time someone compares it to West Coast or even claims it’s the best of the three...:tanisha: NOPE. Absolutely not. I don’t like the production. I just don’t like the song at all. I wish it was never released~ and that is TRULY my most unpopular opinion. :icant:

West coast is absolutely untouchable indeed. I don't know if she'll be able to remake such an amazing song like this.

1 hour ago, slang said:

I'll guess I'll weigh in on the "what is pop" discussion. Hope it meets unpopular standards. To me the only way to stay sane is to just think of pop as short for "popular", i.e., the music that a lot of people like. So Billy Eilish is (maybe) more popular than LDR (at least right now or a year ago), but Joanna Newsom is not. There's also a thing called "classical", which is music that a significant amount of people like over a long period of time (e.g., greater than a lifetime). Nothing precludes pop from becoming classical (or classical for having been very popular in its time); you just need a time machine or a good historological perspective to find out. As for LDR, she's more attuned to popular music of former eras. For instance, I consider her closer to Frank Sinatra (who was quintessential popular once), than say Adele or Katy Perry currently is. Although Adele or Katy Perry might be more similar Ella Fitzgerald, because they're better technical singers than LDR and Ella was brilliant at that; however, on similarity-- the kind of songs Ella and LDR might sing also make them a more similar pairing, so it's really hard to say (and the "technicality" of LDR's singing is hard to assess, because she's innovative).

It's getting harder to tell what's what these days. Kendrick Lamar and Ornette Coleman both won Pulitzer prizes for music (getting them in the same drinking club as Samuel Barber and Elliot Carter), and Bob Dylan won a Nobel for Literature (getting him in the same drinking club as Bertrand Russell, Winston Churchill, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and John Steinbeck).

As for who, or what, or when LDR is: a wise music pundit (I'm blanking on the name) once said something like: "I just listen to the masters of every genre". So just do this for each time period of human history, and cross that with each ethnicity/continent zone, and perhaps then, you will have the necessary data to place LDR.

Katy Perry is not a better technical singer, she’s throaty and off key and aren’t we at a point now where pop is a genre? All genres involve evolution which is why sub genres exist(this isn’t exclusive to pop) -baby one more time , like a virgin , thriller , boom clap are all pure pop songs 

2 minutes ago, lemonadetan said:

all i see here is people dragging nfr (and most specifically people dragging jack)

It's because we are more vocal :slayty:

There are a lot of people in here that loves NFR and Jack. And this album is one of the favorites out of LB

I roast Jack and Norman in every chance that I can :fabcat:

32 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I hope the selfie is the album cover at this point. :candy:

Yes, please :candy: I know some people were really against the idea of the cover being a response to her critics when I brought it up the other day but there’s clearly an intention there.  And the way you described it too, her staring straight into the camera with this very fed-up look made me love it more :wub:. I hope she uses it because it will be her most allegorical cover :legend:

I feel she could be more poignant on tracks like blue banisters-here’s an example:

The Silver starlet fades away 

For the family portrait 

She trades the fame 

On dearest Lana and Rey though they never became

Now domestic housewife 

A slave today 

Ridiculed against the ideals at bay

14 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Yes, please :candy: I know some people were really against the idea of the cover being a response to her critics when I brought it up the other day but there’s clearly an intention there.  And the way you described it too, her staring straight into the camera with this very fed-up look made me love it more :wub:. I hope she uses it because it will be her most allegorical cover :legend:

Agreed! I think what she's doing right now is pretty genius. I would love so much if every song on the album had it's own edit of the cover LOL

2 minutes ago, DCooper said:

Agreed! I think what she's doing right now is pretty genius. I would love so much if every song on the album had it's own edit of the cover LOL

Yessss LOL hmmm...if she doesn’t do that, I might just have to do that myself once the album’s out :brows: