Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

2 minutes ago, JehovahThikness said:

i'm always afraid to say this :awk: i think BTD/Paradise are of course classics, but I think they sound soo different (and cheesy) compared to the albums she made after (even UV). I think it was after HM/LFL when I realized this. I regularly revisit songs like Video Games or Radio and relisten to the whole album like once or twice a year, but those albums are just so different to me compared to UV and beyond.

Yeah. The idea was really driven home with the release of NFR. I suppose it's a good thing, but it's crazy to think how fascinating the album was at the time. Hypnotics! 

There is nothing safe or muted about NFR. It's complex, dark, warm, emotional, and thrilling. An absolutely gorgeous work of art from start to finish. 

Spoiler

This isn't really unpopular in general but on Lana Boards it definitely seems to be :oopna:

2 hours ago, JehovahThikness said:

i'm always afraid to say this :awk: i think BTD/Paradise are of course classics, but I think they sound soo different (and cheesy) compared to the albums she made after. I think it was after HM/LFL when I realized this. I regularly revisit songs like Video Games or Radio and relisten to the whole album like once or twice a year, but those albums are just so different to me compared to UV and beyond.

it can't be denied that btd is iconic & a classic album, but it's really not my favorite and i find a hard time feeling like i have a definitive favorite from that album, and i feel like a lot of the album is a little over-produced, in my opinion, dare i say that i might prefer the "mix 9" version of ottr :eek: also, the million dollar man demo is definitely superior, at the end of the day, i just identify with other albums, like sirens, ldrakalg, honeymoon, & nfr more :whatever2:

WGe8ynS.gif

4 hours ago, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

I will die defending Lucky Ones as one of her most beautiful songs & one of the best on BTD... never understood the hate for it.

I hate that it's an unpopular opinion to love that song the way I do. :heidi:

This x 1,000,000. It's one of a number of her songs that have two excellent, quite different versions (DMD is another one). The album version really scratches that Bonnie Tyler itch I have every now and then

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Not the BTD slander...

But to be honest, I never really like it. My favorite song from the record is Dark Paradise and I only listen to some of the others because they're on my makeup playlist 

Spoiler

The others, in this case is OTTR, DMD, NA, TWMUG and Lolita

I also like Carmen, The Lucky Ones and Without You, but I barely listen to them

5 hours ago, mar said:

It's kind of crazy going back to BTD and listening now, more than half of the songs are complete throwaways, who knew 

this is how I feel about NFR lmao

BTD remains in her top 3 best albums, unbothered with clear skin & millions in the bank. it may be “overproduced” at times but continues to have her best lyrics and vision. there is a reason it stayed in the billboard top 200 for over 300 weeks... 

14417469274.gif

Come on guys I understand you grew out of BTD but it's still a very good album. Born To Die, Carmen, Radio, Summertime Sadness, Diet Mountain Dew, Blue Jeans and Million Dollar Man are CLASSICS. The lyrics don't have to be genius and super deep and the production is nice but I agree that demos are better for some songs. Please understand that in that time EDM was popular and basically a tone down version of what kids referr today as hyperpop songs like Starships, Hangover, Where Have You Been and more. So for that time BTD's production was probably very dark and raw. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

7 hours ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

my unpopular opinion regarding BTD rn is that I think that dark paradise is so overrated :tsk:

The demos are much better, it was the only song on btd i grew to hate but the demos changed my mind cus i forgot how good they are ! 

I'm beyond happy to read that people are finally giving "Guns and Roses" the praise it deserves, holy shit, the way I played this song in an endless loop the summer that Ultraviolence came out, humming its haunting melody everywhere I went and I still love it. This song cannot be overplayed imo

:wub:

I don’t think BTD would ever be my fav album from Lana but that doesn’t mean I hate it. BTD feels like a greatest hits album for me. I love Honeymoon and Ultraviolence so much but I play BTD more than those albums though ?

in response to the recent discussions: 

You Can Be the Boss is NOT overrated. It was the second track on this CD I burned and I listened to it every day before school with my

portable CD player and hearing all the little elements of it was so wonderful. There are so many hidden details that only come out when you really listen. It’s one of my favorites from her - a true bop

I don’t understand the Yes to Heaven slander either. It’s gorgeous. The first several seconds of each version are just out of this world, the instrumentation is beautiful. I do agree that Serial Killer is a bit overrated, but it is still a fun song to sing and dance to and I enjoy listening to it. Queen of Disaster is nothing beautiful but it’s fun to jump around to and although it’s not one of her songs that I’ll listen to on repeat, it’s still a fun time whenever it comes on

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

4 hours ago, shady said:

Come on guys I understand you grew out of BTD but it's still a very good album. Born To Die, Carmen, Radio, Summertime Sadness, Diet Mountain Dew, Blue Jeans and Million Dollar Man are CLASSICS. The lyrics don't have to be genius and super deep and the production is nice but I agree that demos are better for some songs. Please understand that in that time EDM was popular and basically a tone down version of what kids referr today as hyperpop songs like Starships, Hangover, Where Have You Been and more. So for that time BTD's production was probably very dark and raw. 

it is the definition of iconic and absolutely nothing will change that, I don't agree it's "overproduced" it's a genius album and yeah it was an undergdog at the time, nothing sounded like BTD in 2012

however everything feels so different from BTD times, the only songs I keep coming back to more regularly is OTTR and carmen tho 

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

I'm going to do a lot but

I can understand those who don't like BTD as we grew up and people aren't impressed with Lana's young and wild American anymore, but this album from my 28-year-old remains the most iconic to this day. It's excellent, it's a classic. It doesn't sound dated or overproduced to me. It is such a special album that it cannot be linked to any other. There is a real journey on it, all the titles could have been hits if she wanted to.

It defines Lana and her entire universe, and that's what we're all here for. If she would have released Chemtrails on her first album I don't think she would have had as much of an impact on the music world, and on us. This record earned her fame and her great career.

Like Ultraviolence, it was a perfect era. Chuck did her best photos there, Lana was wild and her unique performances, the promotion, the videos on the tv, you know all that.

She embraced without shame this somewhat misunderstood universe against a background of musical perfection. And then, this is the beginning of her demonstrations and her great talent as "Lana Del Rey".

BTD is perfect, it will never get old. I'm not even talking about Paradise which is a cut above. A real treasure that a lot of fans reject because it is more obvious and pop, and yet this Lana is good, she really has to come back to something more obvious. Too bad for the anti-pop elitists.

8 hours ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

I'm going to do a lot but

I can understand those who don't like BTD as we grew up and people aren't impressed with Lana's young and wild American anymore, but this album from my 28-year-old remains the most iconic to this day. It's excellent, it's a classic. It doesn't sound dated or overproduced to me. It is such a special album that it cannot be linked to any other. There is a real journey on it, all the titles could have been hits if she wanted to.

It defines Lana and her entire universe, and that's what we're all here for. If she would have released Chemtrails on her first album I don't think she would have had as much of an impact on the music world, and on us. This record earned her fame and her great career.

Like Ultraviolence, it was a perfect era. Chuck did her best photos there, Lana was wild and her unique performances, the promotion, the videos on the tv, you know all that.

She embraced without shame this somewhat misunderstood universe against a background of musical perfection. And then, this is the beginning of her demonstrations and her great talent as "Lana Del Rey".

BTD is perfect, it will never get old. I'm not even talking about Paradise which is a cut above. A real treasure that a lot of fans reject because it is more obvious and pop, and yet this Lana is good, she really has to come back to something more obvious. Too bad for the anti-pop elitists.

I'm thinking that if she released all albums but in different chronological order she would be seen completely differently. She was seen as a BTD wild child until maybe last year. Maybe if she released UV as a debut album she would be seen as a classy dark rock chick and be compared to rock starts but since BTD is her debut album she's compared to pop stars.

In my opinion UV and BTD were the only albums she could've break out with, the other albums are also good but not that unique. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

On 6/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

I will die defending Lucky Ones as one of her most beautiful songs & one of the best on BTD... never understood the hate for it.

I hate that it's an unpopular opinion to love that song the way I do. :heidi:

oops nevermind someone already wrote this opinion :bye3:

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.